Wellington Street

Mike

Hi Barnaby, life problems in my case are all down to my car, new shocks plus 2 tyres, a new clutch and a new crank/cam sensor. So far it has been off the road for 4 days and cost around £1500. The layout needs about 1 days work to finish backscene boards and front panels but, that is all on hold at the moment. At least I won't be doing the Grandchildren run for a couple of weeks so I should be able to find time in the man cave. Then it's a look around Guildex followed a week later by our Golden Wedding celebrations on the 10th September - big family and friends party. I do hope I can find time to play trains before my shows in November.

A GOLDEN wedding anniversary fantastic and congratulations to you both for the 10th September.

We only purchased a new QQ Tekna in December last so I hope all stays well but I do have the warranty cover to hide under should it not.

Best

"Like" is, yet again, just woefully inadequate as a response.

Mike, have you ever thought of making buildings & selling them as a sideline? You have a real talent for them!

Short answer is NO, I actually don't particularly enjoy building buildings. I know that seems weird but, I build them because I need them and can't buy them ready to plonk. (only joking);)

I have been mulling over the what, where, when, who, why, which and how questions. Questions I need to find answers for in 2017. Wellington Street has 3 shows booked for next year but, and here's the rub, do I want to do anymore? I will be in my 76th year and exhibiting although not a chore because I love doing them, is no longer easy ,so I am considering selling the layout and going back to basics. By that I mean something akin to Reely Grate which whilst able to be exhibited, just to play with in the man cave. Decisions - Decisions.
So..... I know what, why, who, which and maybe when and even possibly where, question is how? I'll sleep on it and take council. :scratchhead:

For me I would go more the route of "Reely Grate" in the man cave with occasional outings to the real world for chosen shows.

By adding super detail on a micro layout with one of your classic back stories to bring it alive that will keep you more than enough occupied yet in touch with the wider modeling world too.

It's always interesting to watch your builds on here so for me the more the merrier. Ever thought about doing small micro commissions, size and time scale to build it in clearly set before hand.

Best

For me I would go more the route of "Reely Grate" in the man cave with occasional outings to the real world for chosen shows.

By adding super detail on a micro layout with one of your classic back stories to bring it alive that will keep you more than enough occupied yet in touch with the wider modeling world too.

It's always interesting to watch your builds on here so for me the more the merrier. Ever thought about doing small micro commissions, size and time scale to build it in clearly set before hand.

Best

No commissions, just building for myself. Wellington Road will be up for sale after NewG0G in April 2017, someone has already expressed an interest so we will see what we will see.  By the time it goes up for sale it will have done 5 shows so I will have had some fun with it. Perhaps I'm just getting stale and need another challenge with perhaps something for Warley 2017.

Today I visited a local model railway show primarily to see my old layout Reely Grate, Primrose Hill and the Muck Works. I have to say in all honesty that the new owner Tim Johnson has done a fantastic job of subtle improvements to all 3 modules and should be justifiably proud of his achievement. One very proud ex owner.

post-185-0-96298400-1472322992.jpg

post-185-0-89085200-1472323018.jpg

post-185-0-71416900-1472323064.jpg

post-185-0-16629900-1472323132.jpg

Mike it's great to see Grate again yes Reely it is and with some light alterations to further enhance the model. Very nice work Tim Johnson and I look forward to see more photos of the layout on here.

Best

It must be weird to pay an Entrance Fee to a Show.... to watch your own layout..!! :mosking:

It's not the first time, as previous show visits have included; Ashwood Basin, Lenches Bridge now known as Bankfield Road, Mount Pleasant and not forgetting several of the buildings from Spinners End on the Solihull MRC 0 gauge layout. Who knows what might happen in the future.;)

A walk through Wellington Street while the sun was smiling;

post-185-0-58680400-1472479939.jpg

post-185-0-28469200-1472480008.jpg

post-185-0-54535500-1472480044.jpg

post-185-0-50298700-1472480079.jpg

Just noticed that I hadn't snapped the rear clip in place so that the gap between the boards was a little generous to say the least. Sloppy. :fool:

They say "Life is just a bowl of cherries" not. It's more like a bowl of toe nail clippings. I have spent the whole day in the man cave re-motoring my 57XX. The loco built from a Vulcan Kit. so the best part of 40years ago was built using an RG7 motor which although still running was developing gearbox problems. Now bear in mind that the loco has all the bells and whistles of brake gear sandbox pipe work, AWS shoe etc.,etc. getting the old motor assembly out was just more than a little tricky. However, replacing it with a Mashima 1833 and gearbox was even more awkward, suffice to say it almost got thrown across the workshop on more than one occasion. To get the new assembly in it has required more than a little butchery using slitting disc grinding wheel and brute force and lots of expletives. Have just refitted the backhead, driver and fireman, now need to set up the rolling road and run the loco in, yes I have already tested it and it works. So now Wellington Street has at its disposal 5 locos: B4, Peckett, J71, Fowler and 57XX of course in reserve there are 2 45XX. OK. the reserve locos are just a bit big and the J71 is way off its hunting grounds, but it's my railway.;) Rock On.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 22nd September Chris Nevard  will be working his magic photographing Wellington Street. Need to extract my digits after a truly Golden Day Saturday 10th celebrating with 60 guests our Golden Wedding Anniversary. :imsohappy:

Well the camera master has spent a few hours working his magic photographing Wellington Street. So it's now a waiting game until I see the results.

I know it will be some time as he has a considerable work load.

An article has been submitted to Model Rail,but based on previous timescales it will probably 12 months before it appears in print.

Archived