Railway & Modelling Obituaries

S.W. 'Steve' Stevens-Stratten

dibber25

It is with great sadness that I learned today, of the passing of my long-time colleague 'Steve' Stratten, Editor of "Model Railway Constructor' from the mid-1960s until 1983. With moustache and tobacco pipe, he looked more 'doctor' than editor but he was a very successful editor of MRC, who forged some of the first links between magazines and manufacturers in the UK and overseas. 'Steve' (he wouldn't appreciate anyone revealing his actual Christian name) took over from Alan Williams as Editor of MRC around 1966 and he and I were the entire editorial team until I left in 1968. When I returned to Ian Allan Ltd in 1977 Steve was running the magazine single-handed and continued to do so until he passed the reins to me in 1983. He was a staunch club member and supporter of clubs, being a member at both Wimbledon and Epsom & Ewell at times, and I believe an honorary member of other clubs including Manchester. He was a regular at model railway exhibitions up and down the country with the Ian Allan bookstand, which he ran separately from his editorial job. He was also a road vehicle enthusiast and brought the road aspect very much into the scenic side of modelling through a regular supplement in MRC. He went on to edit the quarterly IA publication Vintage Roadscene and at one time owned a preserved fire engine. He was also deeply involved in hospital radio, where as a programme presenter he could indulge his passion for big band music from the 1940s. His own modelling was mainly continental European which he exercised largely through Twickenham MRC but in retirement his interest in model railways seems to have lapsed. In recent years he had become very frail but when I last went to see him some 18 months ago, he was still on good form and we enjoyed a pub lunch near his home in Epsom. 

Steve passed away on July 16, aged 91.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Edited to correct Steve's age)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear this. Steve was indeed a familiar figure at the exhibitions around SW London that I regularly attend.  I like Chris's description of him "more doctor than editor", that's him to a T.

93 is impressive.  RIP

Really sorry Chris, that must have meant a lot for you.

Ed

Yes, from the days of RM, MRN, and MRC, Dave Lowery and I are the youngsters and, I think, if not the last men standing, certainly the last active in the magazine business. Steve came to MRC from Volkswagen's in-house insurance section, where he had, I think, been a claims investigator. Certainly he always had an amusingly cynical take on certain 'accidents', fires and the like which occurred at that time. Those were the days of the 'suit and tie' model magazine editor. This is the only picture I have of him - not taken to be a published picture but because I needed a photo of the sign that I could trace and redraw for a magazine project - hence the poor quality of the print. I'm sure all those who met him will remember Steve as the most amiable of people but someone who did not suffer fools gladly. We'd spoken on the phone occasionally but I'd only seen him once in the past 20 years and that was about 18 months ago. He was frail but his sense of humour was still as lively as ever. Following our 'Model of the Year' Lifetime Achievement Award to Merl Evans in 2012, I was delighted to arrange for a similar award to Steve in 2013. Though he wasn't a prolific model builder, his contribution to the hobby in almost every other area was huge.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-58261500-1437568491_thumb.jpeg

Just a short tribute from Twickenham & District MRC......

Steve was with us from the very early days in the 1960's ... never as a subs paying member but as a supporter at our exhibitions with his trade stand or by judging our competition nights.

He fell in with several of our European minded members and he would sometimes pop along on a Friday night with some new Fleischmann model or other..... and then to the pub!

Although we hadn't seen Steve in the Club for many years, we had (back in the day) made him an Honorary (Life) Member and so we phoned him back in 2011 when we were about to celebrate our 50th anniversary. He was caring for his wife by then and he couldn't join us on the day, but he sent his best wishes to those who remembered him and said he still enjoyed reading the newsletter (when we remembered to send him a copy!)

As others have said ..... a real old fashioned 'gent'.

Steve - RIP

How wonderful to read such lovely comments about my dear old Dad, Steve.  However, one thing I do know, he was 91 not 93 (which is still a grand old age) and although it is usually a woman's perogative to knock years off, I thought I would do him the honour as to the end he retained his sense of being so much younger than his biological years.   On a personal note, I remember as a youngster being dragged off to many a model railway exhibition at weekends and at the Twickenham ones, "helping" my Mum and the other modeller wives with the catering by eating the fairy cakes as they were being put out!  He was Chairman of Wimbledon model railway club for many years and although unable to attend their recent 90th birthday celebrations, was delighted to have been invited to attend.  Manchester and Harrogate exhibitions also featured heavily as yearly fixtures and with Dad running the Ian Allan Bookstall.  Dad was pleased and proud to have made so many friends over the years up and down the country. 

For those who are local enough, Steve's funeral is to be held at Randalls Park Crematorium, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 0AG on Friday 31st July 2015 at 4.15pm and all would be most welcome and a great tribute to him if members of the clubs and societies of which he has been a member or regular attendee over the years could join us to recognise and celebrate his passion and enthusiasm for the hobby.

Thanks to Chris for the initial piece. 

• RMweb Gold

So sorry to hear this news.

I used to work in Shepperton and visited his office from time to time. I still have two scratchbuilt locos that he sold me, a lovely Stanier 3-cyl tank and a Manor which I will always treasure.

• RMweb Premium

It is with great sadness that I learned today, of the passing of my long-time colleague 'Steve' Stratten, Editor of "Model Railway Constructor' from the mid-1960s until 1983. With moustache and tobacco pipe, he looked more 'doctor' than editor but he was a very successful editor of MRC, who forged some of the first links between magazines and manufacturers in the UK and overseas. 'Steve' (he wouldn't appreciate anyone revealing his actual Christian name) took over from Alan Williams as Editor of MRC around 1966 and he and I were the entire editorial team until I left in 1968. When I returned to Ian Allan Ltd in 1977 Steve was running the magazine single-handed and continued to do so until he passed the reins to me in 1983. He was a staunch club member and supporter of clubs, being a member at both Wimbledon and Epsom & Ewell at times, and I believe an honorary member of other clubs including Manchester. He was a regular at model railway exhibitions up and down the country with the Ian Allan bookstand, which he ran separately from his editorial job. He was also a road vehicle enthusiast and brought the road aspect very much into the scenic side of modelling through a regular supplement in MRC. He went on to edit the quarterly IA publication Vintage Roadscene and at one time owned a preserved fire engine. He was also deeply involved in hospital radio, where as a programme presenter he could indulge his passion for big band music from the 1940s. His own modelling was mainly continental European which he exercised largely through Twickenham MRC but in retirement his interest in model railways seems to have lapsed. In recent years he had become very frail but when I last went to see him some 18 months ago, he was still on good form and we enjoyed a pub lunch near his home in Epsom. 

Steve passed away on July 16, aged 93.

CHRIS LEIGH

Always interesting to read his road vehicle articles, drawings & reviews in MRC & many other publications, going back decades.

• 1 month later...

Condolences to his family and friends.

SWSS was the first editor to publish one of my articles, so I'll be always thankful to him for that.

SWSS - RIP

And me too.  He must have seen something in my ramblings for which I'll always be grateful.  RIP Steve.

I know it's a couple of weeks late but I too will miss his contributions to our modelling world. It was around the time I really started to think of models of buses I would like besides the Routemasters that were the only London buses readily available in 4mm scale, when 'Steve' started the series of road vehicle supplements in Model Railway Constructor (an excellent magazine for its time). I'm very grateful to him, not only for the plans and inspirations he provided, but also for showing me that I wasn't alone in wanting something a little different to what was available.

Sorry to hear of Steve's passing, I've only just learnt of this from the MRC bulletin.

I went for a job interview with Steve when I was about 15 (a long time ago) and he gave the job to Chris Leigh who I believe was slightly older than me!  Steve gave me a lot of encouragement over the years especially in bus preservation. I bought my first bus GS67 around that time and still have it! I worked with Steve when he was involved with the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club as it was then, helping to steward the start of the London to Brighton Run at Crystal Palace. 

Steve, thanks for all the help and encouragement over the years.

Archived