Spent an enjoyable two hours at Souldrop near Sharnbrook yesterday afternoon and it struck me that the now singled freight line isn't signalled for two way working and there appears to be a speed limit too. Trains only seems to use the single line in the down direction with up freight workings using the up main line.

Is this true?

post-5728-0-34305800-1438442980.jpg

post-5728-0-10627200-1438443000.jpg

Both the above pictures are stills from video.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

In MML days I regularly used to catch the one passenger train a day that used the single line, and that was in the up direction.

Probably just makes sense to flight the trains in one direction, rather than waiting for them to clear the section.

Mal

In MML days I regularly used to catch the one passenger train a day that used the single line, and that was in the up direction.

Probably just makes sense to flight the trains in one direction, rather than waiting for them to clear the section.

Mal

It is still signalled for both way running, or it was last autumn which was the last time I actually saw a train on it.

I believe it is included for doubling in the electrification plans but unlike the Corby, Kettering, Wellingborough stretch, it might actually have to wait for electrification before it gets completed.

It's definitely signalled for bi-directional running folks, I work along the route regularly and nothing has changed. Sometimes it can just depend which signalman is on duty as to whether you get a run fast or slow line. The fast lines are very steep, the slow line less so but it still takes a fair bit of throttle to get over the summit whichever one you're on.

Incidentally, north of Kettering station the slow line is being redoubled.

The Corby line is closed this weekend for doubling works which look like they include reinforcing the embankments and widening the cuttings, strange considering it was double track to start with. Piling work was ongoing today between Geddington Station and Storefield to widen the track bed.

A new facing crossover was almost complete on the lineside South of Corby station this week, presumably ready to be rolled across into position at some point.

At the Kettering end, the second line is laid as far as Furnace Lane, just short of the A43 bridge. Judging by the clearances, there will need to be some slewing of the existing line to accommodate a second road from here through the former Junction at Glendon Nth

A Down freight approaching Bedford on the Down Slow and heading for the Corby line can avoid any conflict with the Fast lines if routed via Wymington (the "freight" line) but if it uses the Down Fast it will have to cross the Up Fast twice.  The first of these crossings will be at Bedford North or Sharnbrook, where the reduction in speed for the turnouts will be more difficult to recover because of the adverse gradient. 

In the opposite direction there is less benefit from a Wymington route because the Up Fast routeing doesn't conflict with the Down Fast at all.  Therefore, other things being equal, if there are trains approaching both ends of the Wymington line simultaneously, the signaller is more likely to send the Down train via Wymington and run the Up train over the Fast.

The Corby line is closed this weekend for doubling works which look like they include reinforcing the embankments and widening the cuttings, strange considering it was double track to start with. Nth

Amazing how many holes the wildlife can make in the embankments and how much the vegetation can start to decrease clearances.

Man v nature, we lose every time.

• RMweb Premium

Amazing how many holes the wildlife can make in the embankments and how much the vegetation can start to decrease clearances.

Man v nature, we lose every time.

I believe that there are also new standards for earthworks as a lot of remedial work had to be done on the Chiltern line when that was redoubled.  The slow lines are on considerably better gradients and include a shallow tunnel near the summit.  This was to make it easier for the constant procession of southbound coal trains when they were built.

Jamie

The summit on the slow line is just by the mouth of the southern portal of the tunnel, when I'm taking a rake of empty hoppers north along this line the power is still on until I'm well inside the tunnel, once the back few wagons are over the summit I shut off and coast down to Wellingborough at 50mph.

Must say it's about time the slows were redoubled, they should never have been singled in the first *effing* place!

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone confirm which passenger services are due to use the line through the tunnel? I have only ever been through the tunnel late at night when it was dark. I was upset that a charter train that used the slow lines for most of the journey crossed onto the fast lines for just long enough to avoid the tunnel. I would like to travel the line in daylight if that is possible.

Can anyone confirm which passenger services are due to use the line through the tunnel? I have only ever been through the tunnel late at night when it was dark. I was upset that a charter train that used the slow lines for most of the journey crossed onto the fast lines for just long enough to avoid the tunnel. I would like to travel the line in daylight if that is possible.

Looks like at least the 0736 Derby to London, times for Monday at http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C82105/2015/08/03/advanced

it leaves Wellingborough platform 3 at 0842 arrives Bedford 0903, running SL (slow line presumably) from Harrowden, 

while the 0755 from Nottingham passes Wellingborough platform 2 at 0842 and Bedford 0853

and the 0729 from Sheffield is booked to pass Wellingborough platform 2 at 0847 and pass Bedford at 0858. 

Edit: Is this the same bridge as post 1? I had it down as "Souldrop", which struck me as a depressing name for a village, even one with a church.

Taken on a really gloomy day in Feb 1985. Still quite a bit of vegetation between the two pairs of lines, even with no leaves out. 

post-6971-0-26230800-1438523595.jpg

It is the same bridge yes - it's recently been the victim of some 'electrification readiness work', much like some of the other bridges on the MML. There used to be a signal box next to the Down Fast, roughly adjacent to where the rear power car of the HST is in your lovely pic.

Three lorry loads of track equipment parked in Corby Station car park this afternoon suggests that track works have indeed been ongoing over the weekend. Didn't have time to take a closer look and won't be travelling from Corby until Wednesday but looks like there may be some progress to see.

As regards passenger trains over the Wymington line, daytime trains over it are rare, I hadn't realised there were any scheduled trains off platform 3 at Wellingborough. Mondays after engineering work South of Wellingborough are usually a good bet for trains being diverted over it. I've not been that way for a while but last year it was a regular thing until about 7.30. Sundays sometimes see scheduled diversions.

• RMweb Premium

As regards passenger trains over the Wymington line, daytime trains over it are rare, I hadn't realised there were any scheduled trains off platform 3 at Wellingborough. Mondays after engineering work South of Wellingborough are usually a good bet for trains being diverted over it. I've not been that way for a while but last year it was a regular thing until about 7.30. Sundays sometimes see scheduled diversions.

As Wellingborough platform 3 and the slows can be used by passenger services it would be surprising if their wasn't at least a couple of trains scheduled that way per week so as to keep EMT staff's route knowledge and station dispatch procedure up to date.

Archived