Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

Posted (edited)

No. 20 now has brake gear (same spec. as No. 7), the fitting of which has highlighted that her GWR-origin frames aren't deep enough to properly represent the hefty no nonsense style of Maryport works, who turned out mainframes looking just like the K's and Jamieson brass oblongs of yore. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 6
Posted (edited)

A  nice selection of M&CR paperwork arrived in the post yesterday - the memos are new to me as is the bicycle ticket. The writing is quite faint on a couple of these, which suggests to me that they could be scanned and Photoshopped, removing the writing to make blank copies for use in running  my miniature version of the  M&CR.

MCR papers 2.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 9
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Been tinkering with the drive systems of various locomotives (the M&CR 0-6-0s, the Lanky 0-6-0ST and 'Repulse') as well as having a stocktake on motors, gearboxes, etc  [where did that EM-gauged Tenshodo motor bogie come from ? The aborted models of Carlisle trams from 33 years ago were always OO to represent the prototype 3'6" gauge ] and trying to get started on some more wagons. I'm planning on building a rake of five or six Wm.Baird  4 planks for service on 'Dearham' and another six Allerdale Coal Co. 8 planks for 'Mealsgate' - I've done the sides and ends for the latter but currently on my third attempt at marking out, let alone cutting out, the floors. Judging by other posts on the pre-grouping forum, there does seem to be a collective downer on our modelling at present ! I might have to build some more Airfix Presflo wagons  (strictly from early 1960s mouldings, of course) for the 1973 version of my miniature M&CR in order to get my modelling chops back...

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 4

The way-bill for two horses from Cockermouth to Newton Stewart is especially interesting, in that there was a G&SW horsebox on hand. I wonder if this had been sent round specially or if there was some exchange of horses going on?

Interesting categories - everything covered, down to "other quadrupeds"! I've seen before that when dispatching a road vehicle, an open carriage truck was the default, a covered carriage truck being 4s supplement.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"other quadrupeds"

That'll be a reference to the boggarts travelling to and from Keswick [the M&CR had running rights to Keswick over the CK&PR].

74614782_1160225214173561_2919752650817798144_n.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Friendly/supportive 4
Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2021 at 12:07, Compound2632 said:

The way-bill for two horses from Cockermouth to Newton Stewart is especially interesting, in that there was a G&SW horsebox on hand

Guess which chump actually had parts for a G&SWR horse box but sold them on a few years back...

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8
On 04/05/2021 at 12:07, Compound2632 said:

The way-bill for two horses from Cockermouth to Newton Stewart is especially interesting, in that there was a G&SW horsebox on hand. I wonder if this had been sent round specially or if there was some exchange of horses going on?

Interesting categories - everything covered, down to "other quadrupeds"! I've seen before that when dispatching a road vehicle, an open carriage truck was the default, a covered carriage truck being 4s supplement.

Newton Stewart had a little bay siding on the down line which was used for horse traffic. Originally it was a stabling point for locomotives, before the engine shed was built.

• Informative/Useful 2