Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

2 minutes ago, WFPettigrew said:

On my browser at least, just scroll down on the homepage and there is an option to select 4mm... 

All the best

Neil 

Must have been having a Senior Moment then!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was going to say there should be a scale filter on the home page.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little longer but I have just sent off an etch for all the 4mm parts too able about 80% of my 7mm stock to be turned into 4mm. I've brakes rocking underframes etch. 

Marc

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, MarcD said:

I was going to say there should be a scale filter on the home page.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little longer but I have just sent off an etch for all the 4mm parts too able about 80% of my 7mm stock to be turned into 4mm. I've brakes rocking underframes etch. 

Marc

That is good news, thanks, and thanks all for assisting my navigational issues! And sorry for sending is off down a siding!

• Like 1

Interesting article. In one of the Bill Hudson PO wagon books there is a photo of a wagon built for Consett iron company which was built with this style of buffer.

I will dig out the photo when I find the NER Drawing.

Marc

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's the one I was thinking of.

As promised. Here is the GA

674071219_earlyP52.jpg.a856ec00c965c6788db20ca87a2af76f.jpg

and a photo look at the wagon at the left had side.

284562504_earlyP5.jpg.3c5d9266032307ae2dea3c3c5ab28e11.jpg

I have a photo circ 1875 which shows them in SD and NER(CD) liveries in the same shot.

Marc

• Like 9

I am with you in thinking that there were probably second hand from the NER (CD), the more so  as the Darlington Wagon Co. who supplied the C&WJR wagons was probably more likely to be  a wagon repairer or brokerage than a builder of new wagons. The name is also a bit of a give away as well. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Many years ago I drew the early version of the P5 out but I didn't do anything with it as I didn't want to slow the sales of the P4 or the standard P5.

I might see if I can find the drawing and use up some of my HMRS transfers. I have just done some sprung axle guards for the P5.

Marc

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, CKPR said:

here's a little something that arrived in the post yesterday. 

That's an interesting label. I read the date as 7 September 1923. The wagon is given as LMS No. 341790. My observation is that wagon labels from the early grouping period seem to report what was on the side of the wagon, for example a label giving LNW No. 41790 indicates that the wagon was still in its LNWR lettering and had not yet been repainted into LMS livery and given its new cast solebar numberplate 241790.

Now, the LMS renumbered Caledonian wagons by adding 300,000 to their numbers. Therefore this wagon is ex-Caledonian No. 41790, repainted into LMS livery and renumbered 314790. Owing to various legal complications, the Caledonian did not join the LMS group until 1 July 1923. So I think you have a label off one of the earliest Caledonian wagons to be repainted into LMS livery.

What did Mr Boadle, presumably the landlord of the Kings Arms Hotel, want from Mealsgate? Would he be buying coal directly rather than through a coal merchant?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Thank you for that detective work and my first thought was it was probably conveying coal from the Allhallows colliery at Mealsgate, which was part of the Allerdale Coal Co. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

'Works well but is easily distracted' or, "oh dear, he's back on the inter-war AFVs again". An actual Bren Gun Carrier this time, kit-bashed out of the trusty Tamiya Universal Carrier kit. I've already made an early war Universal Carrier, a Light Dragon III and a Scout Carrier out of this kit, which like Slater's NER 20T hopper of the same vintage is a kit I never tire of building. On the plus side, here is evidence that all the C&WJR coke wagons now have their coke rails fitted, a process that took about two weeks given the need for each set of rails to be secure before spacing off the next set. 

IMG_20220618_201711.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Regularity said:

I never really progressed beyond the last two words out of those six!

I used to get 'pleasant, but a daydreamer' on my report cards.  Not a lot has changed since then.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

The C&WJR coke wagons are now complete after a couple of evenings spent detailing the coke boards. When the weather warms up again, I'll get them undercoated and then painted up. More by luck than planning ahead, I've found sufficient HMRS methfix lettering to complete them. 

IMG_20220630_205727.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

⁹The movement of these wagons to and from west Cumberland to West Wylam, which is to the west of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, involved travelling over three lines, maybe four depending on route (NER, M&CR, LNWR and the C&WJR itself) and potentially four  companies' motive power (the FR worked much of the C&WJR's traffic and also goods traffic between Carlisle and Whitehaven). To accompany the wagons, here's my FR 'Cleator Tank' that I built from the  old McGowan Models kit. I bought it  from Kings Cross Model Railways back in the mid-1980s when I was a postgraduate at the LSE and it was my first pre-grouping EM locomotive. 

IMG_20220630_205627.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

59 minutes ago, CKPR said:

The C&WJR coke wagons are now complete after a couple of evenings detailing of the coke boards. When the weather warms up again, I'll get them undercoated and then painted up. More by luck than planning ahead, I've found sufficient HMRS methfix lettering to complete them. 

IMG_20220630_205727.jpg

They look superb!  And very recognisable for what they are suposed to be.  

What did you use for the end brakes - looks like some sort of etch?

All the best

Neil 

• Like 1