Scratch built bridges

class"66"

Some fantastic efforts here, countless hours spent no doubt, creating some wonderful structures. Well done all.

However. Confession time.

It would seem that my former occupation still haunts me- every time I see a bridge, the first thing I do is to work out how to blow it up!!

I thought my days of 'double ring mains' and 'destroying abutments ' were long gone- alas it appears not.

My wife suggests that I may have PTSD from the Gulf. Post Traumatic Structure Destruction. :O xD

(Ps. unfortunately, twelve years on, I'm only half joking.)

• RMweb Premium

Some fantastic efforts here, countless hours spent no doubt, creating some wonderful structures. Well done all.

However. Confession time.

It would seem that my former occupation still haunts me- every time I see a bridge, the first thing I do is to work out how to blow it up!!

I thought my days of 'double ring mains' and 'destroying abutments ' were long gone- alas it appears not.

My wife suggests that I may have PTSD from the Gulf. Post Traumatic Structure Destruction. :O xD

(Ps. unfortunately, twelve years on, I'm only half joking.)

I have a related thing about bridges.  When I was researching my first large layout, Long Preston, I discovered that all the bridges were built with semi elliptical arches and as it was many years after my Maths A level I had to search hard to rediscover the formula for platting an ellipse.   I embarrassed my then 12 year old daughter at her parents evening by asking her maths teacher for help.   Now I can't look at an arched bridge without working out what mathematical shape it is.  I think that in the intervening 19 years my daughter has forgiven me though.  She now realises that it's a parents job to embarrass their offspring.

Jamie

Now I can't look at an arched bridge without working out what mathematical shape it is. 

Jamie

Likewise,

We had all sorts of similar geometric shennanigans when we built the arched viaduct on the Club layout Kimble.

It seemed straightforward at first, a simple half round arch, but because the bridge is curved we either had to maintain the shape on both sides and widen the pillars, which would look wrong, or effectively widen the arch on the outside but retain the same height above the springing point.,It caused a few hours of head scratching.

post-18627-0-26442900-1447939241_thumb.jpg

Having finally worked it out we clad the bridge with resin cast panels, string and arch details

post-18627-0-22827600-1447939701_thumb.jpg

Sprayed it Halfords grey primer

post-18627-0-42353100-1447939704_thumb.jpg

and had a pair of the group lose their minds painting the stone blocks individually

post-18627-0-12068700-1447939690_thumb.jpg

With the result below

post-18627-0-97192900-1447939692_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-86792000-1447939694_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-23425300-1447939697_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-21626800-1447939699_thumb.jpg

The brickwork under the arches also caused some issues as it's trapezoidal in shape, and we didn't make it any easier by putting a board joint in the middle!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Likewise,

We had all sorts of similar geometric shennanigans when we built the arched viaduct on the Club layout Kimble.

It seemed straightforward at first, a simple half round arch, but because the bridge is curved we either had to maintain the shape on both sides and widen the pillars, which would look wrong, or effectively widen the arch on the outside but retain the same height above the springing point.,It caused a few hours of head scratching.

attachicon.gifJPEG Image (1877688).jpg

Having finally worked it out we clad the bridge with resin cast panels, string and arch details

attachicon.gifJPEG Image (1493454).jpg

Sprayed it Halfords grey primer

attachicon.gifJPEG Image (1493900).jpg

and had a pair of the group lose their minds painting the stone blocks individually

attachicon.gifBig Dave and Alan.jpg

With the result below

attachicon.gifDSCF2241.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2242.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2243.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF2246.JPG

The brickwork under the arches also caused some issues as it's trapezoidal in shape, and we didn't make it any easier by putting a board joint in the middle!

Peter

That's brilliant Peter.  I had similar problems on a curved viaduct on Green Ayre that also rises at 1 in 70.  Many hourson the CAD system produced the two sets of arch profiles, the piers are wedge shaped and even the girder bridge at the end is still on the curve and has had to have two different lengths of brass platework put on it.   I'll try and dig a photo out at some point.

Edited to add a couple of photos.

post-6824-0-55378900-1447948244_thumb.jpg

post-6824-0-28960800-1447948264_thumb.jpg

Jamie

Here's a bridge deck final one out if 3 I needed for cudworth ,it just needs installing on the layout

It's the oldest of the 3 I've done so needed to look well worn

post-5078-0-16680800-1447955646_thumb.jpg

post-5078-0-42449600-1447955703_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Brian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this is going to be the right place to ask this question, if it is not feel free to post to the right section mods.

I am currently working on a bridge project and I can not find the answer to anywhere on the interweb.

Q1:What is the width of the foot path on a road over rail bridge.

Q2:what is the road width for an 'A' two lane road with a pedestraian crossing on.

What the project is for the bridge to have the station builing on and access to the plateforms by means step to the island plateforms, you could say along the line of the station at "Witham in Essex" but with a road. But it is to of Southern Region in design.

The station is in a brick lined cutting and the station is has 2 island plateforms containing 4 faces.

Ihope you can understand what I am asking for as the lap top is in a happy mode at the moment so I have had to type tis on my taplet. So that if there are any spelling mistakes as the key board I'm using will not function.

Thank you your advise.

Some very fine structures to behold fellow modellers 

I have recently finished building a new railway shed and have after several years been able to finally set up the layout again. Thought my first attempt at scratch building a foot bridge might be of interest to this thread. The layout is based on the Loco depot at Chester Northgate and the footbridge and surrounding brewery buildings in the following photo's are modellers licence to make a scenic break into the fiddle yard area. The bridge is very loosely based on the footbridge that used to cross the west end of Chester General station .

post-5136-0-66433400-1451434684.jpg          post-5136-0-13975100-1451434738.jpg

post-5136-0-68843900-1451434822.jpg          post-5136-0-42702400-1451434880.jpg

As the footbridge is overlooking the coaling hoist and water tower I imagine that it will be a favourite haunt for spotters. The structure is constructed in plastic card and the bridge sides are from the Hornby viaduct series to which I have fixed wire mesh to give it a more convincing appearance.  

• 3 weeks later...

post-19459-0-85183200-1453980341_thumb.jpg
Here's the only two pictures I can find of my Grandad's old layout, before we dismantled it when they moved house. The station on the left side was supposed to represent Port Carlisle, and the station on the other was called Beckfoot. I remember being shown some drawings of the bridge about five years ago, but I don't know if it was based on a real bridge somewhere. It was the only section that was kept intact, and hopefully there'll be a new layout for it to go into. 

I think it was mostly constructed of plasticard strips, with stone banks being layered with clay.

post-19459-0-32703300-1453980454_thumb.jpg

post-19459-0-83325600-1453980535_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a viaduct to build where my new layout crosses the double glazed garden doors. These face south so there will be a lot of sunlight impacting on the structure.

I plan to produce a single line version of the Deerness (or Dearness - the railway was always ambiguous) Viaduct on the ECML. Apparently it is now also known as the Langley Moor Viaduct

(Note - not the now destroyed brick built Deerness Viaduct on the Durham - Bishop Aukland line or it's timber built predecessor or either of the long lasting timber bridges over the same river on the Dearness Valley line!)

The ECML bridge, which has recently been re-painted a fetching shade of green, has complex lattice girders on a series of brick piers.

An interesting account of it's re-furbishment is  here - http://issuu.com/railmedia/docs/tre-june-14/62 , and I am very glad to find that the Deerness is now classed as a salmon run!

The model will have  a plywood trackbed and piers.

I plan to build the girders out of card, painted and matt-varnished (using UV stable products).

I worry that brass would expand and contract too much, and plastic may distort and eventually decay.

Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

I would be grateful for advice.

(I do have pictures of a similar but shorter structure on my old railway, but would be embarrassed to post them here in view of the splendid modelling seen above!) 

I have a viaduct to build where my new layout crosses the double glazed garden doors. These face south so there will be a lot of sunlight impacting on the structure.

I plan to produce a single line version of the Deerness (or Dearness - the railway was always ambiguous) Viaduct on the ECML. Apparently it is now also known as the Langley Moor Viaduct

(Note - not the now destroyed brick built Deerness Viaduct on the Durham - Bishop Aukland line or it's timber built predecessor or either of the long lasting timber bridges over the same river on the Dearness Valley line!)

The ECML bridge, which has recently been re-painted a fetching shade of green, has complex lattice girders on a series of brick piers.

An interesting account of it's re-furbishment is  here - http://issuu.com/railmedia/docs/tre-june-14/62 , and I am very glad to find that the Deerness is now classed as a salmon run!

The model will have  a plywood trackbed and piers.

I plan to build the girders out of card, painted and matt-varnished (using UV stable products).

I worry that brass would expand and contract too much, and plastic may distort and eventually decay.

Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

I would be grateful for advice.

(I do have pictures of a similar but shorter structure on my old railway, but would be embarrassed to post them here in view of the splendid modelling seen above!) 

Agree that styrene is non-starter in high UV situations. Luckily the majority of my layout bridges and viaducts are in the villa's underbuild - no daylight present. Where the track eventually will go outside around the garden, the first 2 metres will be a continuation of a 4.5m long viaduct. In my case this will be built in brass due to the occasional storm conditions which show themselves about 3-4 times a year, and which last 2-3 days

Your suggestion of a card built viaduct is a good one, and is likely to be just as strong as one built in styrene, and unlikely to suffer from UV attack

I wish you well with your build, and look forward to seeing its construction

Cheers

Ron

• 1 month later...

hi all

Below is what was going to be the next venture in both moddeling and a small 12ft layout. It is based upon the old Severn  rail bridge which was pulled down in the mid 1960's after it was hit by two ships in fog.. This part is the swing bridge part that went over the canal . There was going to be two or three of the main spans also done but alas at present with the problems of my  trapped nervrs in my back I cannot now control the shaking of my hands so for the time being  it looks as if my modelling days are at a stand still.. There are a few more shots that I have taken of the control cabin that sits upon this span so I will try and get them uploaded in the next few days.

Peter

post-6915-0-72990500-1460142425.jpg

post-6915-0-33863400-1460142427.jpg

post-6915-0-87096400-1460142428.jpg

post-6915-0-25395300-1460142430.jpg

• RMweb Gold

And Abbotswood has two bridges...

post-7138-0-18162100-1460145412_thumb.jpg

The road bridge at the southern end, Wills sheet over plywood

post-7138-0-93160300-1460145564_thumb.jpg

The Oxford line bridge over the Birmingham line - rather crude, brick paper over soft wood, but as at back of layout not so close to viewers...

Built this to fit and then discovered that the Hornby turntable handrails were a perfect fit and a pretty goo representation of the real thing...

Phots are Trevor Jones's excellent work

Phil

Hi all

Here's the shots of the control cabin as promised. Tried over the weekend to do some modelling hands getting worse can't even hold a knife properly. Going to start and rummage through all my stuff and get rid of a lot so may be some bargains.

Peter

post-6915-0-65949600-1460374503.jpg

post-6915-0-34738100-1460374505.jpg

post-6915-0-76816700-1460374506.jpg

Archived