Class 37 Locomotive Group Book "Syphon Salute"

martinC37LG

I've had an email today from 'Hermes' saying the book will be delivered to me in the next few days. Looking forward to it.

Hi Colin, mine arrived today and it was certainly worth the wait! Nothing prepares you for seeing something you have been working on "virtually" arrive in physical form. A very proud day for the C37LG! Kevin you have done us proud. Thank you.

Now we are in the run up to Christmas we are dispatching them on a daily basis, so if anyone else would like one, they can be ordered via here http://c37lg.co.uk/shop_item.aspx?category=books&item=669or if you would like to order one in a more traditional way, a cheque for £19.95 sent to The Class 37 Locomotive Group, 8 Sutton Lane, Adlington, Nr Chorley, Lancashire, PR6 9PA is equally welcome.

Thanks to all of you that have ordered one, especially for your patience. I do hope you like it!

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

I'm out at the moment, but the Hermes tracker says mine was delivered at 10am, "left in a secure location"... :O

I'm intrigued to find out exactly where that turns out to be... :scratchhead:

...probably lying in a puddle behind the back gate. :nono:

In my best Black Country...

"Ah tode yer, day I??" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

InTheRain_zpszpwnc0zb.jpg

Fortunately the book was in a cardboard outer, and dry inside that plastic bag.

Book looks excellent at first glance - nice big format and superb pictures!! Will study in depth later... ;)

In my best Black Country...

"Ah tode yer, day I??" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fortunately the book was in a cardboard outer, and dry inside that plastic bag.

Book looks excellent at first glance - nice big format and superb pictures!! Will study in depth later... ;)

Don't you just love Hermes!!

• RMweb Gold

Don't you just love Hermes!!

That is exactly why Strathwood do not use Hermes and we actually subsidise the actual costs of postage and packing on all of our orders to ensure they are packed well enough to withstand the rigours of white van man and Postman Pat.. We use Interlink and the Royal Mail for all of our despatch work with thankfully minimal problems over the years, which we always resolve for our customers should they occur even when we are not at fault.

Kevin

That is exactly why Strathwood do not use Hermes and we actually subsidise the actual costs of postage and packing on all of our orders to ensure they are packed well enough to withstand the rigours of white van man and Postman Pat.. We use Interlink and the Royal Mail for all of our despatch work with thankfully minimal problems over the years, which we always resolve for our customers should they occur even when we are not at fault.

Kevin

All the books i've ordered from you have come via Royal Mail :)

Hi everybody.

I'm glad that most of you are receiving the books OK, if there are any problems, please message me directly (In case you don't get the direct message MichaelP, yours is still out on the van as I type)

Yes I fully agree about Hermes not being the best solution, but unfortunately in this instance we had to use the most expediate means to get them out, and that meant using them. Our sales team volunteers are unable to visit their local post office within normal opening hours due to the day job, so to get it out to you's asap to minimise any further delay by waiting till today to post Royal Mail, we had no choice. Sorry!

Anyhow, I hope you do enjoy it, and I won't mention it anymore, as I am sure those of you getting it for Christmas are already lifting the corners of the wrapping paper!

Happy Christmas everybody!

Martin.

Copy arrived earlier, as a Christmas prezzie for a mate.  I had a cheeky look through, obviously, and I must say it's very impressive.  

The pre-TOPS era is better represented than I had feared.  Well done to all involved.

Yes I fully agree about Hermes not being the best solution, but unfortunately in this instance we had to use the most expedite means to get them out, and that meant using them. ....

Martin.

Yes, don't get me wrong - I have "experienced" Hermes deliveries before ;) it was more the way the tracker said it was "left in a safe place" that made me post, as I had a good idea (& was right!!) of what their definition of "safe place" is!!

No harm done, and I don't have to wait until Monday* to fetch it from my local R.M. Sorting Office. Every cloud, etc...

* or Christmas!!! :declare: :mosking: 

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Premium

Home now and had a look at the book. It is superb, a varied collection of interesting photos, all well presented. If you've not ordered a copy, I recommend you order one now before they run out.

Fittingly, as I was opening it, the 37 hauled (actually pushed) Cumbrian Coast service went past. I hope other preservation groups produce similar books of their loco class.

• Like 1

I really appreciate all your positive comments, it is very gratifying.

Thanks to everyone that has bought it directly from us at the C37LG, as 100% of the money from these sales goes straight into the pot for 37003's bodywork repairs and repaint next year which are likely to cost around £20,000! The previous owner was not very careful about rust prevention!

As a Charity, this sort of fundraising project is always high risk due to the upfront monies required to make it happen. Luckily, doing this with Kevin meant we were able to make this happen at a lower risk and at a higher level of quality than we would have been able to do alone, and I thank him for the opportunity to do it.

All the best and enjoy your books!

Martin

• Like 2

I really appreciate all your positive comments, it is very gratifying.

Thanks to everyone that has bought it directly from us at the C37LG, as 100% of the money from these sales goes straight into the pot for 37003's bodywork repairs and repaint next year which are likely to cost around £20,000! The previous owner was not very careful about rust prevention!

As a Charity, this sort of fundraising project is always high risk due to the upfront monies required to make it happen. Luckily, doing this with Kevin meant we were able to make this happen at a lower risk and at a higher level of quality than we would have been able to do alone, and I thank him for the opportunity to do it.

All the best and enjoy your books!

Martin

I normally buy direct from Strathwood but when I found out about the book and that it was for the C37LG I sent my friend the link direcet to your site instead (no idea what she thinks of me asking for a railway book but she asked what I wanted ;) )

• RMweb Premium

Two intriguing photos in the book.

On p85 there is 37264 hauling the 1220 Mallaig - Fort William on 14th June 1984. The consist is three Mk 1 coaches, plus what looks like the Bachman Inspection saloon. Why the inspection saloon?

While on P91 we see Loadhaul liveried 37698, but the door in the centre of the bodyside appears to be in EWS red and gold. Presumably a replacement door has been fitted?

On p85 there is 37264 hauling the 1220 Mallaig - Fort William on 14th June 1984. The consist is three Mk 1 coaches, plus what looks like the Bachman Inspection saloon. Why the inspection saloon?

While on P91 we see Loadhaul liveried 37698, but the door in the centre of the bodyside appears to be in EWS red and gold. Presumably a replacement door has been fitted?

I won't be able to see the book until christmas day so can't see the photos you mention but for the first one I remember travelling the highlands and seeing an inspection saloon on some trains and it was being used as an observation coach, we were offered the chance to travel in it for an additional supplement but we never took up the offer (wish I had now though). at some point they used a converted class 101 dmu as an observaion car on the Kyle line too but the one I saw most was an LMS one to Fort William

Yes, I think that's correct. I've seen models of it in this condition

My copy arrived today via Hermes in perfect condition, packed in a stout cardboard sleeve. :good:

Edit: Now had the chance to look through it, nice preface on the first built syphon's, with loads of excellent photos. 

The photo on page 31 proved interesting, (HR) 37 146 at Chessington.

It's not that apparent from the photo, but this loco carried a "one-off" version of L/L Blue livery. Apart from the small arrows, it also featured a Blue roof / bonnet tops and cab window surrounds. So it's basically a BR Blue loco with full yellow cabs ends. Rumour has it the loco was required back in traffic before the L/L re-paint could be completed.

Edited by tractor_37260

• 2 weeks later...