81A Oldoak

Are the parts for the different style domes available or are they particular to each paint scheme? That will be fairly critical to my choice in purchase.

Martin,

There's a pack of all the domes with the loco's so you can plug in whichever you want, if you look at the first photo in Post 50 you can see the choice you get.

Peter.

We try to please. Here is a shot of the three little ladies each wearing a different bonnet during a recent visit to Cwm Bach. NB I tarted up the GWR and BR versions and the transfers are not included with the model.

What a cracking line up Chris! Congratulations to Minerva for delivering a high quality product to market in a cracking timescale and at fantastic price. It really looks the part and I am sure it will be responsible for tempting a lot of modellers into O gauge. Well done to all involved!

David

Guest Isambarduk

"Who is going to be the first to take one apart and repaint it then...?"

Well, I might not be the first but I shall most certainly do this ... and more.  My black Peckett is going to get a serious DLOS-style Makeover, just as did my Ixion Hudswell Clarke, which I reworked to be GCR No. 278, formerly Humber.  I wrote about this here on RMWeb, which gave Chris K a queasy moment or two, but later I collated it all on to a webpage of captioned images (www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm) if you'd like to see what the 'operation' involves.

I am still undecided about whether I should:

• Just modify an E class.  Pontypool (Works No. 1010 of 12/1903 to Ebbw Vale Co., Ebbw Vale, Glamorganshire) is the only one I know of that was modified - with an extended rear bunker - as I show on my page where I am collating information about the Peckett E class (www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Peckett-E-Class.htm). This would be easy enough - which is the 'problem', really. There's not much to it, it's not much of a modification and I doubt that I'll be the only one, or

• I could forgo prototype accuracy altogether (not such a big worry to me - my reworking of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke into the GCR No. 278 Humber was a bit of a compromise even on the major dimensions such as the wheelbase and size of the saddle tank), get a bit more 'physical' with it and make some of the more drastic variations that appeared in other Peckett classes.

On balance, at present, I am leaning towards the latter approach and not to worry that there is not even a nominal prototype.  Views, anybody?

David

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning - lovely lovely loco! A big well done to both Chris' for a cracking little model. My example is seen below on a mixed train at Elsbridge Wharf shortly after its arrival: post-1365-0-48920200-1449525248_thumb.jpg

She's a beautiful runner - so smooth and slow and just right for a spot of leisurely shunting.

It's probably going to end up in a different livery at some point in the near future, just need to decide on one first. Current thinking is Indian Red but that may change...

"Who is going to be the first to take one apart and repaint it then...?"

Well, I might not be the first but I shall most certainly do this ... and more.  My black Peckett is going to get a serious DLOS-style Makeover, just as did my Ixion Hudswell Clarke, which I reworked to be GCR No. 278, formerly Humber.  I wrote about this here on RMWeb, which gave Chris K a queasy moment or two, but later I collated it all on to a webpage of captioned images (www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm) if you'd like to see what the 'operation' involves.

David

I followed Humber's makeover at the time David, and saw the finished product at (I think) Bristol. Lovely work and I look forward to seeing what you make of the Peckett.

For what it's worth, I don't think the bunker is a particularly attractive addition, I would be more inclined to make it a fictitious but plausible loco using features from existing locos of other classes. I've always thought something along the lines of the Purfleet cement works locos would make an interesting subject, with the additional lights, cab sheets etc. e.g. this one

Guest Isambarduk

Thank you the encouragement to go freelance, Brian, and I agree with you re the relatively uninteresting and unattractive modification of a rear bunker.

"I've always thought something along the lines of the Purfleet cement works locos would make an interesting subject..."

Funny that you should say that; I was thinking along the same lines but something that required rather more major surgery :- )

David

Mine arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with it, an absolute bargain at the price. I thought to myself 'How many hours of work would it take me to build a kit to that standard?' The answer was an awful lot, and I know I couldn't achieve the same quality of painting without putting it out to contract. The latter would probably be more than the cost of the RTR engine!

I suspect we may see a lot of 7mm scale 'playing with wagons' layouts appearing in the not too distant.

I followed Humber's makeover at the time David, and saw the finished product at (I think) Bristol. Lovely work and I look forward to seeing what you make of the Peckett.

For what it's worth, I don't think the bunker is a particularly attractive addition, I would be more inclined to make it a fictitious but plausible loco using features from existing locos of other classes. I've always thought something along the lines of the Purfleet cement works locos would make an interesting subject, with the additional lights, cab sheets etc. e.g. this one

Now that looks like the sort of fun the military modellers have adding bits and pieces to their AFVs, but with the extra enjoyment that our models move and can even make interesting noises. BTW, cosmetic electric headlamps are supplied in the Ixion Fowler Diesel Accessory pack.

Hi everyone,

Just to say that the last orders for Minerva Pecketts are now with the PostOffice, and, for UK customers, should be with you by 1300 tomorrow (Friday).

All models going to Europe, Australia, New Zealand are also on the way, via Air Mail.

However, I have several orders on which card details were missing or incorrect, and cannot be processed, and I have not been able to contact the customer.  If you think that your order could be one of these, please contact us and we can get it sorted out.

Finally thank you for all the emails and texts that you have sent, saying how pleased you are with the models. It is really appreciated and certainly makes us want to follow up the Peckett with another model to the same, or even higher standard.

On to the next one.......

Chris

I got an order in fairly promptly for a couple of DCC fitted variants, and am pleased to advise that the content of a fresh-out-of-the-van parcel confirms that Paul has upheld the efficient delivery standards which Minerva appeared to set themselves.

Top drawer all round, gentlemen!

Mine has now landed too- arrived late yesterday so I was obviously quick off the mark to get an order in with Paul too!

It looks lovely; I fear it may be boxing day before I get to have a play though. Pleased to see Paul has fitted the sound and KA in such a way that the body can come off easily, once tested it'll be coming apart to be painted into BT&S house colours.

• RMweb Gold

This is really frustrating.........

I worked stupid hours to get as many of the sound fitted Pecketts out before the couriers knocked off and have been looking forward the hearing what people thought of the 'drive like the real thing' sound project.

Sadly it seems some bloke called Santa has kidnapped them all and wont let anyone play with them until Friday (and then only if they've been good)

Ahh- I snuck into my local friendly modelshop and, despite it being somewhat chaotic with other last minute shoppers (the primary purpose of the visit was to pick up some 00 coaches for Dad's present!), they were good enough to let us have a go on the yard of test track. First impressions of the sound (and brakes) are excellent. Good deep bark in loaded mode for starters. Will take a bit of getting used to but has the potential to be a lot of fun. Also- how much KA capacity is there?! The safetys lifted from inside the box, well over a minute after it came off the track.

Like having two different variations too- ex works and tired- ideal for those lucky enough to have two!

Archived