Connecting dropper wires to a bus wire

BlueWotsit

On 06/09/2020 at 22:00, AndyID said:

I usually use solder but I think you could use wire nuts without any problem. They are used extensively for mains wiring in the US and they make very reliable connections. Might be a bit hard to find in the UK?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist-on_wire_connector

They are not acceptable terminations for 230-240VAC systems , US wiring code is about at 1950 compared to European standards , they are not specifically banned but difficult to make compatible with most European safety codes 

they can of course be used on low voltage systems 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Agree 1

On 07/09/2020 at 10:31, Crosland said:

According to http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Electrical_connection#Wirenuts (which I trust) they have been illegal in the UK for mains wiring since the 1950s. They do some strange things over the pond :)

According to Wikipedia that's an urban myth. I think you've been punked :)

I've had problems with screw clamp terminals in the US (and the UK) but I've never had a problem with a wire nut. Anyway, they'd work very well for droppers under a layout.

14 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

They are not acceptable terminations for 230-240VAC systems , US wiring code is about at 1950 compared to European standards 

I'm quite familiar with both and I've come to the conclusion based on actual experience that the US system is superior. If course the best thing about it is it's four time less likely to electrocute someone.

Then there's the diabolical UK ring mains :)

6 hours ago, Crosland said:

I trust the uk.d-i-y usenet group (or at least certain posters) who wrote the faq more than i trust Wikipedia :)

Wikipedia can be quite unreliable so I take your point. When I first saw wire nuts in use here my reaction was "how quaint", but over time I've come to appreciate their utility. When used according to NEC code they work well.

I installed the electric power in my workshop (all surface mounted in steel conduit) so I thought I better get the NEC manual. It's enormous! Definitely not something you'd want to drop on your foot. Presumably there's an equivalent in the UK?

1 hour ago, Crosland said:

OK, I surrender :)

No need for that. Consider it "educational" :)    Actually, if you happen to come across a couple of them you should give them a shot. I think you'll be surprised at how effective they are. They have a clever conical internal spring that seems to prevent them slackening off. Sometimes they can be quite difficult to remove.

If you think wire nuts are scary, check out these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Single-Pole-Toggle-Light-Switch-White-R52-01451-02W/100026991

That's your average US light switch and that's a typical price. (Good for 15 amps too, or so they say). They have a nice over-center spring action.

You can clamp the wires under those screws on the side but  you don't have to. All you have to do is strip the wires to the length indicated by the guide on the body of the switch and poke them into the holes at the back. Sounds scary but it actually works very well.