Connecting dropper wires to a bus wire

BlueWotsit

• RMweb Premium

Being useless at soldering, I am looking for the best way to connect dropper wires around the layout to larger bus wires.

Just wondering what methods people use

Solder! Its really not that hard, especially the sort of soldering required for that type of work. You don't need to be that fussy about appearance, since its buried underneath - usually.

But if you're really not happy to learn, what size wires are you trying to join? There are different connectors that can be used, but it depends on the size wires & the difference thereof. What type of wires are you using for the bus?

• Agree 1

Soldering has got to be the preferred method, if you are managing to solder droppers onto the rails then soldering onto a bus wire should be straight forward. Admittedly working under a baseboard can be awkward depending how agile you are.

Screwed connectors are one alternative but if your layout is portable and subject to knocks even slight ones, can over time result in screws loosening.

Then you have IDC connectors (Insulation Displacement Connectors). The most popular being the Scotchlok or suitcase connectors. Although they can cope with a range of wire sizes problems can occur when there is a wide difference in wire sizes being connected. Use one that suits the bus wire and it may not sufficiently displace the insulation on the thinner wire, likewise use one that suits the thin wire and it may almost sever the thick wire.

Other connectors are the Wago type. Push in types are best suited for solid wires whilst the lever type will connect both. The only downside is that you cannot do inline connections and need to cut and reconnect the bus wires. Every connection that has to be made is a potential problem and it is better to avoid cutting wires where neccesary.

Richard

Edited by Tricky Dicky
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is how I do mine as I simply do not want to solder under the baseboard.  The bus is 2.5mm, the connecting wire to the snaplock 1.5mm and the bus wires are 1x0.6mm.   1.0mm or 1.5mm wires are far too thick for droppers that are short.

IMG_6920.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_6920.jpg

These are known as " suitcase" connectors, use a good brand like 3M and ensure you remain within the wire sizing specifications.  If you do they are a good idea, most trouble with these is a function of cheap brands and improper wire size 

by selecting the correct ones, you can get different " run " and " tap" wire dimensions, with 18 AWG ( 1mm) taps and 10-12 AWG for the " run", this allows you to avoid the very inefficient and poor chocolate block connector shown. 3M  calls then "tap and run connectors" in the scotchlok product range for example, there are many others, avoid the " junk" in the local auto parts shop 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Junctionmad, on 07 Nov 2015 - 06:35, said:

this allows you to avoid the very inefficient and poor chocolate block connector shown.

Nothing wrong with the chocolate box connectors as far as I am aware.  I have a large layout with an estimated 800-900 droppers and using these is the only practical solution.  Separate spade connectors for each wire would be unmanageable.  I have had no problems at all with the layout wired this way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi again BlueWotSit

Dont be put off by any negativity.........

I have sucessfully reduced my soldered connections to an absolute minimum for years in both 4mm and 7mm modelling by using so called suitcase clips and also 

ribbon cable.

There are three reasons for failure using these

1  Poor quality product and crap plastic

2 Using the wrong cable.

3 Incompetent workmanship.

As an extra insurance try and use clips with double blades.....

post-17779-0-59526900-1446851897_thumb.jpg

These are from Farnell.co.uk.

I use cable from Expressmodels

post-17779-0-13760200-1446851887_thumb.jpg

And everything else from Allcomponents

post-17779-0-75130700-1446851845_thumb.jpg

Obviously dropper wires need soldering

post-17779-0-46424800-1446852555_thumb.jpg

Regards

John

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 1

Then you have IDC connectors (Insulation Displacement Connectors). The most popular being the Scotchlok or suitcase connectors. Although they can cope with a range of wire sizes problems can occur when there is a wide difference in wire sizes being connected. Use one that suits the bus wire and it may not sufficiently displace the insulation on the thinner wire, likewise use one that suits the thin wire and it may almost sever the thick wire.

Alternatively, buy the correct parts that are designed for joining wires of two different sizes :)

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks one and all for the comments made - very helpful and should allow me to progress further.

With regard the comment about soldering to the rail, yes this was indeed another area of concern and I had been advised to use pre-wired fishplates - but some people then said these were not reliable enough.

The next suggestion was to use the Hornby Powertracks R8206, these looked a good solution however the problem I have found here is the cost of the connectors to push into them - can anyone give any pointers on this for me

regards

Andrew

With regard the comment about soldering to the rail, yes this was indeed another area of concern and I had been advised to use pre-wired fishplates - but some people then said these were not reliable enough.

I think they're fine. Like you, I find soldering tiresome and every attempt looks like a right dog's dinner. I do suspect that for every person that recommends using pre-wired fishplates, there will be a dozen people who yell "No... they're awful and will all fail at some point". You have to do what you think is right for you and falls within your skillset. Persoanlly, I'm pretty good at a few things and monumentally cr*p at loads of other things. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks one and all for the comments made - very helpful and should allow me to progress further.

The next suggestion was to use the Hornby Powertracks R8206, these looked a good solution however the problem I have found here is the cost of the connectors to push into them - can anyone give any pointers on this for me

regards

Andrew

I haven't used those pre-wired fish plates, but the potential problem with them, is that they rely on the fishplates making contact with the adjacent rails. This is something that can easily fail, when & if you ballast the track and use a glue to set it. If glue gets into the fishplates, then there is a good chance that the glue will cause the sliding fit, to have an insulated film between rails & fishplate.

Perhaps you could get a friend to solder for you? It should only need doing once.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a "bus wire with droppers connected" as per most DCC manuals, but instead on each board I use choc blocks to connect the "norths" together and to connect the "souths" together. Each board thus has a two terminal chock block connected to the track. I then run heavy cable between boards joining together all the chock blocks.

I sell literally thousands of the scotchlok type suitcase connectors and apart from operator error, I have never received a complaint from a customer. By operator error I mean not using a pair of pliers press the connection in place. As others have said just make sure that you use the correct size connectors for the wires you are using.

Its also a good idea to support the wiring under the baseboard correctly so no little hands can go under and grab wires.

Edited by 14Steve14

• RMweb Premium

I sell literally thousands of the scotchlok type suitcase connectors and apart from operator error, I have never received a complaint from a customer. By operator error I mean not using a pair of pliers press the connection in place. As others have said just make sure that you use the correct size connectors for the wires you are using.

Its also a good idea to support the wiring under the baseboard correctly so no little hands can go under and grab wires.

Agreed, nothing wrong with Scotchloks. Best to use parallel jawed pliers though, as others can cause distortion.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rab said:

Came across these on FB and thought

I'd post here rather than start a new topic.

https://www.magoloft.com/products/universal-wire-connector-terminal-block-for-fast-wiring-10-pcs?variant=31985478533163

Interested in what folk think

I use these and they are very good indeed. I connect a wire to the bus via a Scotchlok connector, and use the 5-ways (mostly) to connect multiple bus wires. You can insert two bus wires into one socket with no problem, so long as they are the same size. 

Avoids all soldering underneath the baseboard and allows easy disconnection if the need for fault-finding arises. 

There are plenty of Ebay sellers for these Wago connectors so it's worth shopping around, especially if you need quite a few. 

• RMweb Gold

I have used Screwfix earth blocks as a means of connecting my droppers to the BUS. The BUS wire is bared back, threaded through the block and screwed down to make a connection thus avoiding any break in the BUS wire. Located in the areas where I have several wires to attach, I can get in excess of a dozen droppers from each block which are then soldered to the underside of the track as required.

A picture of the underside of a baseboard shows the yellow and orange wires feeding out of two earth blocks. I have over 20 of these on my layout and have not encoutered any problems.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/4-way-earth-block/12386?tc=PA7&ds_kid=92700055281954475&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4o_D26DP6wIVWeN3Ch0KDA6yEAQYASABEgKhMvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

443408437_Stratfillangrows008.JPG.58df06e7b854c2c90c34bdc94273c3e7.JPG

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, AndyID said:

I usually use solder but I think you could use wire nuts without any problem. They are used extensively for mains wiring in the US and they make very reliable connections. Might be a bit hard to find in the UK?

According to http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Electrical_connection#Wirenuts (which I trust) they have been illegal in the UK for mains wiring since the 1950s. They do some strange things over the pond :)