The Taddington branch of the LNWR

• RMweb Gold

Hi Penlan,

I must admit, when I was adding the cowls I did wonder the same, a real "chocolate fireguard" feature.

Ironically they seem to have been removed from the locos that were given wider weatherboards and cab rooves, you would have thought that these alteration would have benefited from the cowls!

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.....You are probably right John, but given these were shunting engines, and probably travelled backwards as much forwards I do wonder the effectiveness.

There is absolutely no protection from the back so everything would be rain streaked anyway.

Still, someone at Crewe must have deemed them worthwhile.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I'll describe this one as a very near miss:-

post-13616-0-53633300-1449682582.jpg

post-13616-0-55744900-1449682596.jpg

Having received the white decal paper I printed out the section in a red matched to the wagon paint. However, when pealing the decal off the backing there is a degree of opaqueness lost which lightens the colour slightly. This is unfortunate as the red used is the closest match from the Microsoft "standard" colour palate.
I have tried the wider range but struggled to get anything closer.

So I m now having a debate, leaving the lettering off is a bit of a cop out. The lettering adds to the character of the vans. I could keep trying to colour match the red paint. I could try white painting the panel on the wagon and then applying the decal, this may then change the decal colour back to what is on the sheet initially...Or I could see if I can get a local print shop to white print the lettering.

My initial thoughts are the last option.

I do like these little D43 wagons. They were a long lasting design with 16 built up to 1875 and another 14 prior to 1902 when the design was superseded by D43a, essential a GWR Iron Mink. Only 10 of these later designs were built 3 of which were replacements for the earlier vans, so the original D43 seem to have hung around for a while.

I would guess they would be treated gently around the yards, the consequences of a rough shunt don't bear thinking about!

Presumably this helped their longevity.

Although few in number I am reasonably confident that they would have been a familiar sight in the Buxton area and not just because of the proliferation of mines and quarries in the area. A large Gunpowder mill, with an internal tramway was built in the Goyt valley in the 1830's and connected to the Cromford & High Peak line between the Shallcross and Bunsell inclines. The works were in use until the 1930s when the area was flooded by the creation of the Fernilee reservoir. The rail connection was severed in 1892 when the section of line between Ladmanlow and Shallcross Yard was abandoned. Presumably the gunpowder was then transported to the railhead in Buxton, Ladmanlow and Shallcross by horse and cart.

Some of the local historical societies have some interesting articles about the works.

http://goyt-valley.org.uk/visiting-fernilee-gunpowder-mills/

http://goyt-valley.org.uk/fernilee-powder-mill/

The history is quite gruesome as there seems to have been regular explosions and associated loss of life. Life was cheap in the 1800s and however much we deride our current 'elf and safety culture, we should be grateful for the protection offered.

One of the reports caught my eye as it offers a interesting comparison to our modern sensationalist, attention grabbing headlines:-

"We are sorry to state that an explosion took place at the Powder Mills, at Fernilee, this morning, about seven o’clock, in the stoving house, by which two unfortunate creatures were in one moment deprived of their existence." - Stockport Advertiser May 1836

post-13616-0-53633300-1449682582.jpg

post-13616-0-55744900-1449682596.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian,

My initial thoughts were with yours. A good coat of matt vanish will remove the sheen from the rest of the wagon red and take the colour down to more of a match to the decaled section.

Add on some weathering and I might get away with it.

The problem is, by the time I've got to that stage, I'll have spent more time on the van and if it doesn't work I'll have to strip it back to brass to correct.

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd post this picture showing the gunpowder van on the layout.

It shows how small these vans were in comparison to the refrigerator van.

It doesn't look as bad on location so will be probably be left for a while to sort.

I want to concentrate on the motive power next but the layout is crying out for more work.....

post-13616-0-88909100-1449774934.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

And the chassis is rolling.....

post-13616-0-04167400-1449870843.jpg

After a bit of running in, I am happy with the performance forward, the chassis will crawl along at level one on the control. Reverse is not so good, up to level three and it is a bit hesitant still. I am hoping with a bit more weight from the body this will sort itself out.

I'll get on with fitting the brakes now.

post-13616-0-04167400-1449870843.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've just spent a pleasant hour shunting Three Shire Heads :senile: whilst waiting for the garage to warm up enough to spray primer on a couple of items.

Apart from a small electrical glitch and one wagon needing it's back to backs checking all went well, if a little clunky in places (some of the rail joints need attacking with a file...)

I started to visualise how I would generate an operating plan :paint:. I would like to incorporate an element of randomness into this, with wagons being allocated a variety of suitable destinations (spots) on the layout. Quite how I do this at the moment I've still to work out. My current thinking is a card for each wagon and a dice of some kind to allocate the spot.

Sitting back in front of the computer I noticed something strange, on RMWEB we don't have a section for Operation, surely this should be essential? :scratchhead:

I can't image a North American site missing this?

I suppose the fact I've only just noticed it's absence indicates the issue! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, my name's Angus, and I am a colour pedant.........

Following on from the earlier debate about the shade of grey I had painted my North British van, I unfortunately/fortuitously knocked it onto the tiled kitchen floor.
This resulted in a "rekitting" as the old joints came apart and I was left with 4 side and a floor.

This enabled me to rebuild getting all 4 wheels on the rail (hence the fortuitous bit). I also need to touch up the paintwork on the repaired corners. Cue an excuse for a repaint in a lighter shade....

post-13616-0-68505100-1450283626.jpg

I did try to use the 17 year old decals, however most disintegrated as soon as the backing paper was removed, those that didn't had absolutely no glue left. This isn't a grip! They were well past their use by date.......

Parkside do replacements but I think I'll put the money towards a HMRS sheet as the relevant one for the NB includes the Caley and I've a couple of CR kits in the pile.

post-13616-0-68505100-1450283626.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Low tack masking tape 2 - 5 minute epoxy nil:-

post-13616-0-20075200-1450349131.jpg

What is strange is that the lamp sockets were well attached having been man handled and scrubbed with a toothbrush during cleaning. I nearly binned the masking tape because it was so low tack it wouldn't stick to the cab sides....... :scratchhead:

Oh well....our with the epoxy again, I might drill a pin in the back of the sockets to locate more securely.

post-13616-0-20075200-1450349131.jpg

• Like 2

The HMRS transfers/decals are superior. For example, you get the little numbers that go on the crescent marking. However, if you go for Methfix and have never used Methfix before, it's a good thing to read and follow the instructions. I had all sorts of struggles with the things before I cottoned on to this simple solution. Once conquered, they are by far the best, as they are almost infinitely adjustable, with reasonable care.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Poggy,

I've only tried Methfix once and that was some Slaters' Decals.

To be honest I found them a right pain compared with waterslide and pressfix.

Mind you, the decals were abut a decade old so maybe I should give them a second chance.

• RMweb Gold

I'm away for Christmas at the moment so not a lot of modelling going on.

Before I left I took a couple of progress shots of the NSR milk van.

Firstly after priming, alongside a 2mm 12t BR vent van interloper (2mm society kit).

post-13616-0-97649400-1450803964.jpg

This gives a real feel for the size differential between the two scales!

and then as I left, It still needs a second coat on the solebar/bufferbeam and the metalwork finishing, the roof needs a further coat also.

post-13616-0-50629500-1450804093.jpg
I had been puzzling the colours as the reference I have all mention "Victoria Brown" or Chocolate. As every choc-a-holic knows chocolate comes in every shade from off white to almost black so not much use.

Nosing around the web I found the Knotty Coach trust who are doing a stunning job of bringing some four wheeled NSR coaches back to life.

http://www.knottycoachtrust.org.uk/

They have done their research and the tan coloured solbar really lifts the model. I have made a jump and assumed this was applied to NPCS vehicles. Certainly in later periods these vans appear to have carried the madder lake livery.

post-13616-0-97649400-1450803964.jpg

post-13616-0-50629500-1450804093.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Argos,

Only come across your thread recently and have had a good read through, really like what you're doing.

I too have one of those NSR vans to build at some point, having asked a few people about what colour paint to use and it was suggested that Caledonian Goods Brown / Purple was a close-ish match.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

• Like 2

I too have one of those NSR vans to build at some point, having asked a few people about what colour paint to use and it was suggested that Caledonian Goods Brown / Purple was a close-ish match.

Not sure which Caledonian colour you are referring to here.  CR freight stock was painted red oxide, while NPCS was generally a slightly browner shade than the purple brown used for coaches.  Two distinctly different colours.

Jim

• Like 2

Uhmnnn.. Well I ended up, some 35 years ago, with an edge towards brown of maroon, Madder Lake Red, for my Milk Vans, same colour as the coaching stock.   Darker than MR Maroon.

EDIT :- Using the useful link in Argos' posting (the one after this) I see for my period , post 1896, the coach colour was 'Victoria Lake', Perhaps that's what I have. 

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the input.

I think the colours you are suggesting would be appropriate for the post 1903 Adam's Madder Lake.
This, I believe, was a more purple brown (although as, Jim comments above, the colour is associated with the Caley's coaching stock).
The timeframe I have set for my 7mm modelling is 1893-4 so the Victoria Brown is appropriate, co-incidentally the Knotty Coach trust have also based their livery in the 1882 - 1896 time frame. I'm happy rely on their expertise

There is an interesting article in their newsletter no 4 Pages 5 - 15 "In search of Victoria Brown" available here:-

http://www.knottycoachtrust.org.uk/Knot%204%20pdf%20std.pdf

• Like 2

Hi Andrew

A ride in the coaches has been on the "to do" list. I've no excuse really, only being a few miles away.

I must do it next year!

Was in the same boat myself, living a short drive down the A50 from Foxfield, but managed a ride at the summer gala and very enjoyable it was too. Well worth the effort and much more appropriate to the line than the mainline coaches usually in use imho.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

• RMweb Gold

Now the layout has been populated with stock and is operational it is time to develop an operating regime. :senile:

Looking around at exhibitions I have observed we tend to operate in a couple of ways:-

1) each train is brought onto to the layout and then leaves in turn. Suited to continuous runs with large fiddle yards
2) A timetable where the trains shuffle on and off scene to a sequence.
3) A shunting puzzle game where wagons have to be assembled in sequence.

Clearly 1 is unsuited to Three Shire Heads so I am aiming for a combination of 2 & 3.

I had always built layouts without consideration of operation, I just assumed it would be fun. Sadly I always found something to be lacking and all attempted layouts got scrapped as soon as they became operational. Something was lacking.

A few years ago, during the build of  N Gauge modern layout, I bought an Atlas Union Pacific Shunter. This was to test the new DCC system purchased (this was in the days before Farish and Dapol locos came DDC ready). I was impressed with the detail and running qualities (ironically the loco turned out to be worst performing of my American loco stock).
The result was I bought a couple of US freight vans and built an inglenook.

Needless to say the UK based layout did not develop and the inglenook was played with most days. I then made the tragic mistake of scrapping the inglenook and developing a larger US yard based layout. Where the inglenook could pass a pleasant half hour, the yard layout need dedicated time, with train lengths of 10 wagons each train took a significant time to shunt. Guess what? This build also stalled and the layout was scrapped.

So how will Three Shire Heads be run?

I have planned wagon spots where the various wagons have to be placed (the schematic is shown below). Only wagons appropriate to the spots can be placed there for unloading.

post-13616-0-17677600-1451509275_thumb.p

Each wagon has then got a card, This shows which wagon spots it can be shunted to for unloading/loading.

post-13616-0-57390200-1451509373.png

The incoming train has its wagons allocated by shaking a dice. should spots be duplicated the wagon will placed in the next spot numerically.

In order to increase the wagons passing through the quarry exchange multiple numbers have been allocated to these spots.

In the cards above the Rhymney Wagon has a 50% chance of going through the exchange, the MR coke wagon a 66% chance. This balances out other rolling stock e.g. milk vans and closed vans which don't have a destination in the quarry.

Outgoing trains are assembled by shuffling the wagon cards of the wagons in play (all wagons on the visible section plus all wagons in the Quarry Fiddle yard not including the arriving wagons). The top three cards are then selected (the main fiddle yard has a capacity of 1 loco and 3 wagons). Any wagons in the quarry fiddle yard or siding then have to be transferred by the quarry locos. Any arriving wagons with destination in the quarry have to be taken into the Quarry fiddle yard by the Quarry locos. Any wagon occupying a spot needed by an incoming wagon will be reallocated (if Reload is completed on the card) or just moved to a convenient empty spot

Working through the sequence, each 3 wagon train brought in takes 15-20 minutes to shunt, ideal for a quick operating session. All 3 main fiddle roads will take about an hour representing a days' operation, 2 goods trains and an early morning milk train.

All in all an enjoyable play!

post-13616-0-17677600-1451509275_thumb.png

post-13616-0-57390200-1451509373.png

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year!

As much as I like the smell of chips frying I don't when it's a DDC one.

I'm not bowled over by the smoke effects from that source either.......

As it was New Years Eve I thought I'd celebrate by mating the Shunter body and chassis and giving it a run :locomotive:.

Now the cassis works on it's own so I wasn't foreseeing any problems.

The fit of the body has always been tight, but I have always viewed this as a good thing (although in retrospect perhaps not..... :nea:)

Calling up the loco on the controls and the humming of a stuck motor could be heard, followed by a puff of smoke, the system shorting out, a distinctly hot smell and the sinking feeling of destroying a new chip :O.

Examining the loco it appears that the motor hole cast in the resin body is a tight fit for the motor (I used a Mashima 1824) and the gear box used places the motor slightly off centre. When the body is screwed on the body press against the motor twisting it slightly and, I believe, jams the mesh, hence the chip frying experience.

Oh well older and wiser (again!).

The DCC chip is a TCS one so I'll see how "Goof proof" their warranty is :read:.

The shunter is now parked in the naughty corner :punish: while I source a smaller motor and gearbox.

On the plus side I can focus on the 5' 6" tank that's been awaiting completion for a while. :good: