'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

If you take a look on the Swanley junction thread you will see they have used the AK interactive asphalt ground cover. If you were to spread this on the bridge deck and then sprinkle on a nice even layer of chinchilla dust and roll it in lightly with a wall paper edge roller that will give a fair representation of an old school gravel road. They also do other types of ground cover as well. There are a lot of products out there made for military modeling that get overlooked by railway modelers because it isn't railway specific. AK has a huge range of products that are useful to railway modelers including ground cover, vehicle light lenses of many sizes and colours, paint, pigments and washes in fact just about everything to build and paint dioramas realistically and most railway modelers are unaware of  the existence of these products, although the guy who does all the weathering things in Hornby magazine has started to dip into the store of goodies available to the MM world in the last couple of years, it is still a largely untapped source of modeling aids and one that should be explored more fully by everyone in the hobby.

Regards Lez.       

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Bob.

If you take a look on the Swanley junction thread you will see they have used the AK interactive asphalt ground cover. If you were to spread this on the bridge deck and then sprinkle on a nice even layer of chinchilla dust and roll it in lightly with a wall paper edge roller that will give a fair representation of an old school gravel road. They also do other types of ground cover as well. There are a lot of products out there made for military modeling that get overlooked by railway modelers because it isn't railway specific. AK has a huge range of products that are useful to railway modelers including ground cover, vehicle light lenses of many sizes and colours, paint, pigments and washes in fact just about everything to build and paint dioramas realistically and most railway modelers are unaware of  the existence of these products, although the guy who does all the weathering things in Hornby magazine has started to dip into the store of goodies available to the MM world in the last couple of years, it is still a largely untapped source of modeling aids and one that should be explored more fully by everyone in the hobby.

Regards Lez.       

Hi 

Taken a look at Swanley Junction...and looks  a likely candidate for the bridge road surface....will investigate further and read through the forum....

Image copied from their forum.....

Thanks for the pointer.....

41682574280_1ca9937748_c.jpg.e9b25a0831866d5472540ca2fd0d182f.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to find a good example of modeled gravel roads Bob.

All I could think of is the layout set in SE England just before D day I think it's called Rowlands Castle or something like it anyway. Have a look on line mate there must be some pics of it somewhere, it has lovely flint walls as well. Maybe Pendon has gravel roads in one of the scenes maybe the vale.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening All.....

A couple of images here of the bridge girders......and 'completed' build....tweaks and roadway to undertake....

104_1799.JPG.a002158a81778d40977b0b847343ebac.JPG 104_1804.JPG.85fa4bc194d74730859ece10e1a05beb.JPG

Regards always,,,,,,

Bob

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

41 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I was trying to find a good example of modeled gravel roads Bob.

All I could think of is the layout set in SE England just before D day I think it's called Rowlands Castle or something like it anyway. Have a look on line mate there must be some pics of it somewhere, it has lovely flint walls as well. Maybe Pendon has gravel roads in one of the scenes maybe the vale.

Regards Lez. 

Hi

Been looking at Rowlands Castle on the web and splendid it is too,,,,,!

558488132_RowlandsC03.jpg.91c5cd216a950554c093d5865e678f84.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobM said:

Hi

Been looking at Rowlands Castle on the web and splendid it is too,,,,,!

Regards always....

Bob

I lived about 5 Miles from RC, and my Wife and I nearly bought one of the cottages over looking the Green.

In reality, the Railway goes the other way, and the bit in front of the Green is a Road.

Still a superb Layout. I believe it now resides in the Village.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Found this quote regarding road / bridge surfaces and technique used on Ashburton / Totnes layout

......I am fairly sure that most would have been just crushed rock or cinders/clinker or hoggin (mixed clay and gravel), depending on local availability. Only intensely-used (urban) ones would be paved with setts or cobbles. I don't think that many would have used blacktop or concrete in the 1920s.

On Ashburton and Totnes, I have made a base of slightly rutted and pitted Polyfilla, reinforced with PVA and coloured with emulsion paint. When dry, I then cover with diluted PVA and sprinkle with very fine sand mixed with dry Polyfilla and paint as required. I distress it and pick out the odd potholes where appropriate, especially at the entrance from any paved roads.

1673204683_03Goodsyard1.jpg.de559380ea09045da9f81d0256022826.jpg 777431556_07StationNBS.jpg.92575e3913f65ae7b9df4a8f17cfd473.jpg

Interesting stuff eh...?

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 4

intresting the different colour palates for the road surfaces.. 

1 hour ago, BobM said:

777431556_07StationNBS.jpg.92575e3913f65ae7b9df4a8f17cfd473.jpg

thats a lovely grey brown sandy.... 

but so is the sandy brown ... 

2 hours ago, BobM said:

its a hard choice geting the right colour isn't it.. :) 

remind me again i think you where thinking of blue grey brickwork and lime sandy motor :) under smoke and grime that comes from a old steam cutting retaining wall .. might be worth a litte copy past and lay a copy of brick work on each of those images (all great) to see if any pop out as what you have in mind.. 

I ended up using the same palate for exposed natrual rock into road, and buildings as like you said they used what ever is local 

P.S under side of bridge looks good, :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi All...

My preference would be for a sandy grey brown road and engineering blue brick bridge...similar to the good yard surface perhaps in general...?Will explore all techniques of achieving a suitable surface...

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 1

Hi All

post-18114-0-72775700-1389451622.jpg.5b37315a49ccb000fb72cf935a4071c7.jpg

Found this an the associated conversation, posted on RMweb in 2014...copied here...'grit to the mill',,,

Created using fine sandpaper, painted with emulsion paint. Road has a prototypical camber sloping from the middle to the sides (gutters). A

Something to consider is that many road surfaces are different. Town, country, main road, country lane, modern, older.......

Agree with the idea of sanding the sandpaper with another sheet.

How did you disguise the joints in the wet and dry?

The join was filled with Polyfilla then the whole road rubbed down with sandpaper (as mentioned, sandpaper on sandpaper). Then the whole area was painted.

If you keep the joins tight so there is minimal filler then it works.

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Guys....

Hope all are well and the weekend has been okay for you....?

Having spent much of today in all weather, ankle deep in muddy cold water, clearing a drainage ditch at Arley ( I have all the fun)....it was good to get home, get cleaned up, have tea and then spend an hour 'Cambrian Streeting'........

The Llangeitho Road bridge construction save for the road decking is basically complete.....so in situ it fits in quite nicely I hope and I will soon begin to develop the surrounding infrastructure........

104_1825.JPG.0f9dbc624e16de01db4ae46379944c28.JPG

I hope to post further images with provisional ideas for the surrounding area......

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 6

Hi

Just a minor update....

Have fashioned an end wall for the small retaining wall.... and inserted a temporary back screen too

104_1837.JPG.0c2937fc7612b94bdcfcb022f875b1f3.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi....

Two further images of the intended (with additional piece) retaining wall....placed for effect and yet to be set into position

104_1845.JPG.8a26d899f8355bdf55d274b5a7236c26.JPG 104_1841.JPG.7fd128c7733254bb74689a1d8c5a6499.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 7

Evening ...Hope all of you good guys are okay,,,?

Just a musing and a very poor initial interpretation of my intentions for the 'Station side' of the Llangeitho Road bridge......

It always was and remains so, my intention to have some semblance of the character that once was a thriving station and the social aspect of Cambrian Street, although now (at the (modelling) time period) falling into dereliction and slow decline..so here is a flavour of what I would like to create.....

'Railway Cottages', the home of once possibly station staff, having now fallen into a boarded up and sorry state, will hopefully also add derelict a pig sty and weed infested garden in the footing of the bridge wall.....either a low stone wall or a line of spear top fencing will form the barrier between the footway....(no roadway) between the cottage frontages and in close proximity, the headshunt / loco storage siding....

104_1854a.jpg.4a7b0b5066cbf608418e55b5664d97f3.jpg104_1848.JPG.8440083d100dd0c0ed1250d538c1048c.JPG

Very much a work in progress, subject to alteration and adaption....comments always appreciated....further buildings could be added maybe a pub which remains still open...?

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 3

low stone wall sounds good. and re boarding up windows, i used wooden Coffe stirers from CostaAlot  :)  cut to length painted black and slowly lighted with dry brushing browns on..

These where then stuck onto completed model, so to have bits of windows visable through gaps.. :)

20190220_020745.jpg.89f2790dba167bb9fe5c493c8744ad4b.jpg

11 hours ago, BobM said:

falling into dereliction and slow decline

There is beauty  in decay.. :) 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

low stone wall sounds good. and re boarding up windows, i used wooden Coffe stirers from CostaAlot  :)  cut to length painted black and slowly lighted with dry brushing browns on..

These where then stuck onto completed model, so to have bits of windows visable through gaps.. :)

There is beauty  in decay.. :) 

I feel so old and decrepit these days.....you make me so much better by saying there's beauty in decay...!

Love that wharf

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lezz01 said:

A pub sounds good Bob. I would also go with the low stone wall.

Regards Lez.

Hi....

Can't make up my mind  whether to have any pub (Bachmann) open or closed just as cottages (Bachmann) ,,,

as an aside.....there is also the possibility to use a Bachmann 'corner' pub/ tea house to 'turn' the building line 90 degrees for effect...?

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM