'Cambrian Street'

BobM

It has stopped snowing up here!

So with the garden covered in 'the white stuff'....by the fire, with a steaming coffee and slowly weathering two, platform facing panels

IMG_0153.JPG.ae87d1590ebaf70708c56e9575d0c256.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yep I'm upto my waist in snow as well Bob. That's why I vac'd out the pond yesterday. A rare occurrence here in the smoke. You can tell as much by the fact that the locals have no idea how to drive in it.  I'm good with it as I learnt to drive in the snow, my first lesson was in falling snow. My biggest problem is getting into and out of the car park as there are 2 cambers  to deal with plus another change of angle. Then of course the fact that I'm on a hill with a dogleg in it don't help either. As long as you don't try to break your fine but it can be a little hair raising.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

Yep I'm upto my waist in snow as well Bob. That's why I vac'd out the pond yesterday. A rare occurrence here in the smoke. You can tell as much by the fact that the locals have no idea how to drive in it.  I'm good with it as I learnt to drive in the snow, my first lesson was in falling snow. My biggest problem is getting into and out of the car park as there are 2 cambers  to deal with plus another change of angle. Then of course the fact that I'm on a hill with a dogleg in it don't help either. As long as you don't try to break your fine but it can be a little hair raising.

Regards Lez. 

Hi....

I bet it has been a bit of a surprise for the area, as you say it's mostly folks inexperience or 'respect' for snow that causes the problems.

Yes it's been snowing here for much of the day from the early hours, looks lovely though and with the roads quieter, any gritting hasn't been as effective to help take the snow off the road, but it is really pleasant, temperatures expected to be -8C or so out here this coming night, so pleased I can garage the car ready for tomorrow morning, no scraping expected.

It'll be a different story by the end of the week, much milder, but it may be that winter returns the week after....a much 'normal' winter this year.

Regards always....stay safe pal and all the best to the family...

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I knew it was coming Bob and added a second layer of bubble wrap to the pond so it holding steady at 7.1 deg C. Which means I have to go out a feed them at some point.

Regards Lez.   

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I knew it was coming Bob and added a second layer of bubble wrap to the pond so it holding steady at 7.1 deg C. Which means I have to go out a feed them at some point.

Regards Lez.   

Hi..Yes, when I had my Koi here at home and at the nursery, always fed them if they looked as though they were looking for food, 'out on patrol' or active, feeding albeit sparingly, as I always thought it  best for them to find something, which they'll only eat if they're hungry, rather than expend energy of a 'fruitless search'...

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

I feed 3-4 times a day when the temp is above 12 deg Bob. Reducing this proportionately as the temp drops to 5 deg. Once that threshold is reached I stop feeding until it rises above 5 again. It cuts down on uneaten food and thus NO2 and NH3. I vac once a week as well. I'm never going to lose fish to inaction again mate. I thought a pond would be a past time that was relaxing ha! How wrong was I. I should never have gone with koi there are many other species of pond fish that aren't so labour intensive and don't produce so much waste. I'm going to either build or buy a Bakkie shower in the spring and fit a dechlorinator trickle system. I don't like adding chemicals to the water to dechlorinate as this increases the NO3 for a day or so which means the bio part of the filter has to work harder. If I had an actual garden instead of a raised patio I would build a filter bed and do all the filtration with plants but given that you need 3-4 times the area of the actual pond to do it this way I'm stuck with filters and the more fish I have the more filtration I need. I finished building the bigger pond too late in the year to add more plants but I'm going to add lots of new plants in the spring to aid filtration. The problem with koi is that they are addictive and I'm hooked! 

Regards Lez.      

• Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I feed 3-4 times a day when the temp is above 12 deg Bob. Reducing this proportionately as the temp drops to 5 deg. Once that threshold is reached I stop feeding until it rises above 5 again. It cuts down on uneaten food and thus NO2 and NH3. I vac once a week as well. I'm never going to lose fish to inaction again mate. I thought a pond would be a past time that was relaxing ha! How wrong was I. I should never have gone with koi there are many other species of pond fish that aren't so labour intensive and don't produce so much waste. I'm going to either build or buy a Bakkie shower in the spring and fit a dechlorinator trickle system. I don't like adding chemicals to the water to dechlorinate as this increases the NO3 for a day or so which means the bio part of the filter has to work harder. If I had an actual garden instead of a raised patio I would build a filter bed and do all the filtration with plants but given that you need 3-4 times the area of the actual pond to do it this way I'm stuck with filters and the more fish I have the more filtration I need. I finished building the bigger pond too late in the year to add more plants but I'm going to add lots of new plants in the spring to aid filtration. The problem with koi is that they are addictive and I'm hooked! 

Regards Lez.      

They certainly are addictive, they develop individual characteristics seemingly as you've probably found, but an intensely therapeutic hobby.

Regards

Bob

Evening guys.....

Just stopped snowing again after another 3hrs fall, turning chilly too so a wintry night ahead....

......here's the result of a few hours of slow work over the day.......

......it'll be mainly 'weathering' and tweaking to complete this bit then the same ahead for the smaller associated building.....

IMG_0157.JPG.ddee08ae139015532dfa92096f5a8947.JPG IMG_0156.JPG.64953b2b1f14583fc34c4a11178b2454.JPG IMG_0155.JPG.5b46c5d863f06aa1ff2f0826a0e6dbd2.JPG 

IMG_0154.JPG.46e04192b48430dbedb65db62aa38361.JPG

........the next project ahead will be the platform canopy, will build this slowly and have plans to tweak the Dapol kit, intending to have a corrugated roof rather than glass....but will see how this goes as my modelling skills are limited....

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I don't know where you get the idea that you have limited modeling skills Bob. I assure you that you have very good modeling skills. You may have limited experience, but your skills and your willingness to try new things has come on in leaps and bounds.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening guys......

After we closed up early at the nursery due to the ice and snow, thought I'd make a start on the canopy project and let you know what I am up to......

The intention is to gain some experience 'cannibailsing' kits, using three Dapol canopies to form up one length, to this end I will take it very slowly.....

So have mapped out the dimensions on a board where the support columns will be, the centrelines and overall completed length/ width.

IMG_0177.JPG.c630bd4c1cd9d7d20d89b219d5777633.JPG

I may need guidance, so shout if you think I am making errors, but I will post regularly and ask if I need help from you good guys...I have heeded your advice Lez and have purchased proper glue that is applied by brush.

Wish me luck....I think I'll need it.

Planning to build from the 'ground up' rather than following the instructions, forming the metalwork first, and also to have corrugated roof rather than the 'glass' option here...?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

It's a start,,,?

Will spend a while trimming the sprue and excess material off the trusses and spans......

IMG_0178.JPG.9c18f28091accb1292a312ea2191affb.JPG

Intend to assemble 'dry' prior to gluing each section....

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Nice Bob. How are you finding the solvent instead of glue mate?

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez....Haven't used it as yet. these are just pushed together at the mo....removing all the sprue and trying to make a flush fit to the pieces before I attempt to apply solvent...I am sure it'll be more controllable on a brush....

Regards always

Bob

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Good idea to draw up a template/jig

looking good Bob 

Hi

Don't know what is possessing me really, as normally I would just cobble it together, but somehow lately I am using my brain more and thinking through the steps first...! :mellow:

Regards always

Bob

22 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Nice Bob. How are you finding the solvent instead of glue mate?

Regards Lez.

Hi.....

This is what I intend to use

s-l140.jpg.7ad107234e7c28ee53bc5ae28554727a.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Hi,

Just a posting before falling into bed, this is how the length of canopy sits on the platform as it stands at the moment....

Could possible lengthen by a span or two,,,but will see how this goes...?

IMG_0184.JPG.3a0b192dc087b2819c9591ba83b73b9c.JPG IMG_0183.JPG.e7231f3c234f087dbfc0b355b1adff0e.JPG 

IMG_0182.JPG.bf27ff05cdc5bb40ac4c948e8281af0a.JPG IMG_0181.JPG.cad2e6194553a729357bf273b997cb6c.JPG

Regards always, much appreciate the support and comments......

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When buying solvent Bob. Don't buy MEK from slaters as it's very expensive. The best way to buy it is like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-LITRE-PURE-99-9-MEK-METHYL-ETHYL-KETONE-SOLVENT-1L-2-BUTANONE/263650030231?hash=item3d62c43297:g:SZYAAOSwn55a6BAu

Much more cost effective and you'll probably never use it all up.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening Guys...Hope all are well...?

The three sections have been glued together using MEK.

As this was the first time I have used the substances I was a bit hesitant to say the least, and especially to follow the guidance given on the bottle to let the liquid flow into the join and evaporate away rather than the usual method of applying to the pieces and holding together, but 'we'  seemingly have got on well initially on 'first contact' and all seems to have set together with a great less resultant mess, but that may just be that I was 'clumsy' before?

IMG_0185.JPG.4bb1dced2881971ebd644cf22b158556.JPG

Anyway will let you know how I get on as construction progresses....I am intending to insert the support columns next so that it will sit squarely on the board and be painted up......there is one tweak I am intending to make in that respect and that is driven by the fact that I was unhappy when building the test canopy with the flimsy nature of the plastic columns, so I have found an alternative, these are round metal garden plant support pegs from the nursery, these are the same diameter but are much stronger can be cut to the correct height and will not splay apart either, so here too will let you know how I get on.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

Morning.....

Just an update from previous evening....may have to revert to using the kit supplied support columns as I have attempted to use the pegs but found difficulty inserting these firmly enough, however there may be greater rigidity provided when have built the bench alcoves into the canopy structure such as here at Bewdley?

bewdley-station-severn-valley-railway1.jpg.79499581d531b732ac3281e871875133.jpg

Regards always

Bob

• Like 2

Evening ......

Hope all are chipper my friends....?

Just to say that I am continuing to build the canopy framework with the supplied column supports.....and an observation, I am liking the MEK solvent, this is much easier to control when applying with a brush, seemingly less messy but that may be due to the fact that I am applying less with the use of a brush?

Will update when I plod along and start the alcoves, this will allow me reduce the height of the support columns which as we know were too out of scale as built.

Thank you Lez for guiding me in that direction of this product,,,,,

Regards always

Bob

• Like 2