'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening my good friends.....All well I hope?

Have been pulling together one or to threads into firmer ideas of how the station parcels / small goods area  will develop, happy to take this further into the final layout....see what you think, but I am happier than the larger warehouse once envisaged.

IMG_0059.JPG.4a69b02be41d2a062f5a65a961331599.JPG IMG_0058.JPG.fe347f4369db3cd2aa13c38a8ad6f153.JPG IMG_0057.JPG.8181be7e1ec8120794df7ae52b596016.JPG

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 4

cartoon.jpg.2578f4b09437cee3916486d077d2f279.jpg

All the very best my dear friends for a Peaceful Christmas....here's to 2021 with the prospect of inner contentment, a settled spirit and soul when we may all move ahead together with renewed hope.

Regards always..... Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

I have just realised that there's a further sign in my home this Christmas ( if one were needed), that I am indeed slowly morphing into Basil Fawlty.... :rolleyes:

IMG_0060.JPG.b3fb4c84a3aaf7beb13eb8208d23b3bc.JPG

Regards always....Stay safe this Christmas Day

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, 380John said:

Merry Christmas Bob, all the very best to you and yours. Look forward to seeing more of cambrian Street next year. 

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you. 

John 

All the very best to you also John.....Happy New Year....

Regards always.

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Bob old son. Let's hope 2021 is better to us than 2020 was.

At least Boris got a deal with the EU so we won't have all that nonsense to deal with on top of everything else.

I tried to do a bit of work on the track yesterday only to find one of the 1:8 vees was a bit short as well. Not only that but I had also missed out a vital rivet that holds the nose of the offending vee in place. I have managed to remake the vee and fit the missing rivet before starting dinner so I'll make a start putting the turnouts together over the holidays.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Merry Christmas Bob old son. Let's hope 2021 is better to us than 2020 was.

At least Boris got a deal with the EU so we won't have all that nonsense to deal with on top of everything else.

I tried to do a bit of work on the track yesterday only to find one of the 1:8 vees was a bit short as well. Not only that but I had also missed out a vital rivet that holds the nose of the offending vee in place. I have managed to remake the vee and fit the missing rivet before starting dinner so I'll make a start putting the turnouts together over the holidays.

Regards Lez.

All the very best wishes to you, Kimmie and all the family, for a peaceful Christmas and into 2021 with a renewed spirit of hope,,,,yep I hope that with all the wranglings over Brexit and the EU trade deal seemingly discussed, we can put that 'to bed' and move on to concentrate on defeating Covid, initially beating it back at least to manageable levels.....

Will look forward to seeing your thread launched on here soon,,,

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Guys......

Hope that your Christmas Day has been a pleasant affair and if you've been allowed to spend valuable time in a 'special Christmas bubble' it's been a splendid time....?

Christmas afternoon couldn't pass by without a quick look at the layout, have a look at this muse, and would appreciate your valuable thoughts on the concept pacing of canopies on all the platforms.....I wondered whether the parcels platform platform would be better if it were a single canopy extending from the wall rather than with stanchions, which may get in the way of trolleys.....?

Such as this.....

222868171_B70-06.jpg.0b31507d9dac153c0dc835d0259ae074.jpg

The ideas I have are....

IMG_0072.JPG.54f891c28b3ef829e92b84da057f2b10.JPG  IMG_0071.JPG.57e130a6ef34eb75387fe76836fb3e4c.JPG IMG_0070.JPG.7aa280b3e7bfb3346202403530397f05.JPG 

IMG_0069.JPG.7115a5cc34e5e622f28453fad4430cce.JPG IMG_0068.JPG.561e850678801dc2da4c73e3577569c6.JPG IMG_0067.JPG.f52ebdddc8c37419c1137856433a37be.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG.af8acf78e22045a095145a3c5756a8d3.JPG  IMG_0065.JPG.9f9091a775a0578b2c4e12014faed2a0.JPG IMG_0064.JPG.cf7478c4438595fd915ecb2b78126c4f.JPG 

IMG_0063.JPG.c8ae285317c5fcbe71f395740826da0c.JPG

The actual design, Wiils / Ratio kit or similar to Metcalfe card adaptions as shown here yet to be decided.....? Would appreciate thoughts and ideas from you good guys as always.....

Have a great Boxing Day, stay safe....

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with those metcalfe canopies Bob, is that they look very Midland. What options do you have that look more western mate? Do western canopies go along the platform rather than across?  

Regards lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

The trouble with those metcalfe canopies Bob, is that they look very Midland. What options do you have that look more western mate? Do western canopies go along the platform rather than across?  

Regards lez.

Strangely lez, the Metcalfe canopies look rather Great Eastern suburban area to me, but the net result is the same, we both feel they don’t look very Western . I am not familiar with the area Bob is modelling but I struggle to think of any GWR canopies like the Metcalfe ones.

I not being critical Bob because I really enjoy this thread, just giving a gut feeling.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Guys....

Hope all are well, as always thank you fir your kind comments Lez and Jazzer,

I am undecided yet whether to have canopies or not, ?

Dapol kit here or Wills are available I like the first,,?

c010.jpg.c77ccb87d776c495f61ced4d26f4d59b.jpg Wills-SS54.png.435d910efa36de96c1632a5faebfd1e6.png

Have a great Boxing day....

Regards always

Bob

Hi Bob I bought the wills one for a kit bash with the ratio GWR station and swapped the canopies out for my BR(W) layout. The kit went together very well and I was more than pleased with the outcome. 

Hope you had a good Christmas. 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, 380John said:

Hi Bob I bought the wills one for a kit bash with the ratio GWR station and swapped the canopies out for my BR(W) layout. The kit went together very well and I was more than pleased with the outcome. 

Hope you had a good Christmas. 

John 

Hi John.....

Thanks for the info...do you still have the GWR (W) layout...?

Bob

Hi Bob, 

Yes I do I'm working on it as we speak. It's based on the cambrian too. Track work for the first section (station and yard) has just been completed and I'm hoping to start my layout thread very soon. Just out for a boxing day walk but I can send you a pic of canopy and station a bit later on? 

Thanks, 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, 380John said:

Hi Bob, 

Yes I do I'm working on it as we speak. It's based on the cambrian too. Track work for the first section (station and yard) has just been completed and I'm hoping to start my layout thread very soon. Just out for a boxing day walk but I can send you a pic of canopy and station a bit later on? 

Thanks, 

John 

Thank you....yes would love to see it....?

Regards

Bob

Just musing here, that as I am not specifically modelling a 'true' location and my skills are limited....whether the Dapol would suit my location even if it is not 'gender specific'...?

c010.jpg.ef0d5c8d703fcf153a75257bc552af73.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I've always been a fan of the Airfix/Dapol canopies Bob. Mainly because of the price and the versatility as they can be combined to make an overall roof. I've never really been a great fan of the GWR, yes I know sacrilege right. It's a case of overload I'm afraid, When I was a lad everything was about GW branchlines and I grew up close to the WCML and the Bletchley to Oxford line ran along the bottom of the field that backed onto our back garden. In fact my first real memory of railways was 8fs on coal trains going to and from the powerstation along the line at the bottom of the garden. We also went to Bedford on the train at least once a month and the DMU ran past the Midland shed in Bedford, Oh happy days. 

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, BobM said:

Thank you....yes would love to see it....?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, 

Here's a quick shot from distance when I first built it. It's just placed and I have no platforms yet hence the stanchions looking rather bent and too tall. But you get the effect....

John 

DSC_3605~2.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 380John said:

Hi Bob, 

Here's a quick shot from distance when I first built it. It's just placed and I have no platforms yet hence the stanchions looking rather bent and too tall. But you get the effect....

John 

DSC_3605~2.JPG

Thanks John for the posting......

That looks rather more GW than the Metcalfe card.....I know somewhere buried in the debris beneath my layout boards I have  a couple of both Dapol and  Wills canopy kits somewhere but do you think I can find them.....!

Will keep searching and let you know when I do.....must keep things tidier in future, in the search for them I have found other items that I'd forgotten about too.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

When I finally locate the kits that are lurking somewhere under the layout boards, I'll put them together and see what they look like in situ, the single pillar may be okay for two of the platform, the two stanchion for the central one perhaps?

I've to locate them first...!

Regards always....Bob

4 hours ago, BobM said:

Just musing here, that as I am not specifically modelling a 'true' location and my skills are limited....whether the Dapol would suit my location even if it is not 'gender specific'...?

c010.jpg.ef0d5c8d703fcf153a75257bc552af73.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

My skills are also limited , Bob. I have built a Dapol canopy but I found it flimsy and rather fiddly getting the roof struts right in the glass panels in the roof. The Wills one looks altogether stronger to me . I understand that you are are not bothered about gender specific but your layout to my mind has a very GWR “feel” to it and it would be good to continue in that vein if you can.

• Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, jazzer said:

My skills are also limited , Bob. I have built a Dapol canopy but I found it flimsy and rather fiddly getting the roof struts right in the glass panels in the roof. The Wills one looks altogether stronger to me . I understand that you are are not bothered about gender specific but your layout to my mind has a very GWR “feel” to it and it would be good to continue in that vein if you can.

Hi...

Thank you for your kind posting, I'll attempt to make up the Dapol one first to see whether it's larger size suits the central platform and also to test my kit building skills again after a long gap!

Regards always

Bob

Look what I've found (knew I had one).....!

Hoorah.....may spend tomorrow now having a go a building this up as a test piece....?

IMG_0073.JPG.179a243f3872f63652999fa55092e7c6.JPG IMG_0074.JPG.87c415e16a57201e0cbdac60dab5e9ef.JPG

Also found with the canopy kit were, 2x C22 Station platform and a C006 Signal Box  packs.....these kits are not going to be used, so would anyone like them..?

IMG_0075.JPG.e9649f37bee5ad31666aee67147ff796.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Afternoon guys.....Hope all are well....?

Have made a start on the Dapol Platform Canopy located in the 'debris' that resides beneath the layout.....!

Having firstly took at look through the individual pieces of the kit, I could see that I would need to take this steady, as you know my modelling skills are rather limited, and although not a difficult item to construct, having made up only one small kit before in some 40 years I thought it it best to do so.....

Therefore began by carefully removing the required glazing bar pieces, I could see that, as you kindly advised Jazzer that these would be rather 'fiddly' to construct.

I have made up the one side only to begin with and will allow this to set before proceeding........also so I could be relatively confident that these were all kept parallel as I went along, the central bar was placed along side so that the locating lugs could be later married up, small adjustments being made to keep them aligned as they began to set with the blade of the knife.....

IMG_0076.JPG.3d6b96c16ce96cf5b871bf8437f8833d.JPG IMG_0078.JPG.0f0d9bc50db66754d0fa8b5940008d8a.JPG

Will let you know how things proceed....

Regards always...stay safe...

Bob

Edited by BobM