'Cambrian Street'

BobM

21 hours ago, BobM said:

Look what I've found (knew I had one).....!

Hoorah.....may spend tomorrow now having a go a building this up as a test piece....?

IMG_0073.JPG.179a243f3872f63652999fa55092e7c6.JPG IMG_0074.JPG.87c415e16a57201e0cbdac60dab5e9ef.JPG

Also found with the canopy kit were, 2x C22 Station platform and a C006 Signal Box  packs.....these kits are not going to be used, so would anyone like them..?

IMG_0075.JPG.e9649f37bee5ad31666aee67147ff796.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Hi Bob, 

As I said I haven't built my platforms as yet? If they're still available I'd be interested if that's OK? 

Canopy looking good so far. I find the Dapol (airfix) kits pretty forgiving so id imagine a bit of patience and you'll be pleased with the outcome 

Many thanks, 

John 

10 minutes ago, 380John said:

Hi Bob, 

As I said I haven't built my platforms as yet? If they're still available I'd be interested if that's OK? 

Canopy looking good so far. I find the Dapol (airfix) kits pretty forgiving so id imagine a bit of patience and you'll be pleased with the outcome 

Many thanks, 

John 

Hi John

Just drop me a private message, the platforms are  surplus to my requirements....

Regards always

Bob

25 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

What are you using to fix Bob? Glue or solvent?

Regards lez.

HI Lez 

Using Revel polystyrene cement, seems to be working, just taking things slowly....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening Guys,

Hope all's well....?

Have made some progress, constructing the roof....the glazing struts do seem rather 'flimsy' and one or two are bent or broken, but then if you've looked up at many railway station canopies, this could turn out quite authentic.....!

To help keep the correct angle of 57 degrees have used one of the roof spans as a template and propped  it up whilst it tries to set...

IMG_0079.JPG.9cd76ce57bc78e667ae31b1418c63d1b.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I strongly recommend that you ditch the poly cement and switch to solvent applied with a brush Bob. Either MEK or Butanone will do the job better than cement. I haven't used poly cement for 45 years mate. The last thing I made with cement was an Airfix Beaufighter back in the seventies. It was so dreadful I binned it! Cut to me whining about it to the guys at Taylor & McKenna, my then local model shop, who put me onto Butanone and I've never looked back.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 2

Evening all......

Will halt at this stage for this evening's test.....and thanks Lez, yes I have found the tube poly cement a bit messy to apply and due to my inexperience applying, runs a mock, which you can see from the image here, I will know for next time when I have familiarised myself with the sequence of building the canopy kit....you live and learn.

Have constructed everything that I think I can prior to painting, which I will do when set and then a final assemble to see how it looks and fits (or not) within the station....

Canopy metal framework will be in GWR dark stone  .........

The roof placed  for effect.....?

Apologies for the seeped glue...must do better next time,

IMG_0081.JPG.10eb3d90cc272edbfb3a706faf2838b9.JPG IMG_0082.JPG.9f8c7ddde2b897d118c6ed79a18f7dc0.JPG

Back to the nursery tomorrow, so it'll be evening before 'we' get started on painting this test piece up.

Regards always.....

Bob 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobM said:

Evening all......

Will halt at this stage for this evening's test.....and thanks Lez, yes I have found the tube poly cement a bit messy to apply and due to my inexperience applying, runs a mock, which you can see from the image here, I will know for next time when I have familiarised myself with the sequence of building the canopy kit....you live and learn.

Have constructed everything that I think I can prior to painting, which I will do when set and then a final assemble to see how it looks and fits (or not) within the station....

Canopy metal framework will be in GWR dark stone  .........

The roof placed  for effect.....?

Apologies for the seeped glue...must do better next time,

IMG_0081.JPG.10eb3d90cc272edbfb3a706faf2838b9.JPG IMG_0082.JPG.9f8c7ddde2b897d118c6ed79a18f7dc0.JPG

Back to the nursery tomorrow, so it'll be evening before 'we' get started on painting this test piece up.

Regards always.....

Bob 

Just noticed why the forward edge piece of the roof canopy looks rough...it's upside down! 

Will leave it as it is, rather than cut away and flip over as I am sure I would destroy the whole piece if I tried to correct it, good job it's a test item, I am so annoyed with myself for such a stupid and basic error, hair shirt at the ready for tomorrow....!

You cannot get the staff,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You're not alone Bob. So far out of four attempts at filing turnout blades I have managed one usable pair and I'm not really happy with them either. Not only that but I've had to rebuild the jig as one end wasn't covering the foot of the rail properly. That's the trouble with jigs made from brass, they wear far too quickly. I might just buy one from the S4 stores that's made from hardened steel. I do have some tool steel out in the workshop but, and it's a BIG BUT, I don't have access to a surface grinder, I also don't have a tap man enough to tap tool steel either and they cost real money. I do have taps that will cut tool steel but all mine are imperial and the smallest I have is 1/4" BSF which is way too big and where am I gonna find a 1/4" BSF bolt these days? I suppose I could just drill it through and use a nut and bolt but it's not very elegant and I still don't have a surface grinder. So as I said Bob you're not alone. 

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Guys......

Hope you're all well....

After a dreadfully inaccurate UKMet Office forecast issued last evening (and if you've been on their site for the last four days, they couldn't even be bothered to have it fronted or voiced over by a presenter / forecaster, just text.)..anyway rant over...........it started to snow here at about 0400, light at first then a heavier bout right through until I set off to the nursery at 0900, for our later Christmas opening time, as no warnings had been given to the council, the snowplough's or  gritters  were only just out, the roads having a thick, now slushy, 6inch layer of snow, even heavier vehicles having difficulties, a very large Co-Op delivery lorry now in a neighbours front garden!

Well after a quiet day at the nursery, we've closed up earlier so we can all get home in the light safely......hey ho....a bit of snow combined with a dreadful Met Office service...and it all goes to pot...!

The benefit.....greater length of time on the platform canopy!

IMG_0083.JPG.cbb5031846c52a4c2d892f2a133451ad.JPG

Regards always....stay safe....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening all....

Firstly must extend my apologies for this dreadful example of kit building, I did lash i together quickly, to see whether the design and size of this Dapol canopy would suit the station and whether I enjoyed building the kit.....the colours are incorrect (used any old nearly empty pots)  but wanted to see something painted up too.

Have to say that on first impressions, I am unsure, but maybe it is just because I've made a complete mess of the construction , the overall finish and it is just one canopy....?

I won't throw in the towel just yet, I have a feeling I have a couple of further kits lurking somewhere so will take this ahead when located by making them up to a better quality and join into a greater length? 

IMG_0085.JPG.0f717d489bb583791d934240d445d8f2.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

It doesn’t look too bad Bob! My only criticism would be that it looks a touch tall, but I imagine that’s the fault of the kit and easily remedied by reducing the height of the supports?

Any chance of a shot at platform level, to confirm, before you take any further action?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

It doesn’t look too bad Bob! My only criticism would be that it looks a touch tall, but I imagine that’s the fault of the kit and easily remedied by reducing the height of the supports?

Any chance of a shot at platform level, to confirm, before you take any further action?

Hi......Thanks for your kind posting, yep will post an image tomorrow when I get back from the nursery....

Regards always

Bob

Hi....

Yes it does look overly high to scale, so will reduce the minimum on the 'scale chart' I have for 00 has a minimum of 40mm which equates to 10ft...? Will measure up the Metcalf one to see what height that is and reduce accordingly, will post a 'before and after' image....I have been mulling over too, when I come to construct the further canopies, I may alter the procedure and way that the glazing / bars are put together for ease of building...?

Snowing here again...!

Regards always.....   

Bob

• Like 3

Hi Guys......

The height of the canopy has been reduced to the minimum, that is 40mm from the paving to the base of the valance and I believe from first impressions this has had the desired effect in terms of providing a more pleasing look, although the round stanchions have always and still look a bit spindly, (a bit like my legs really) may have to 'investigate' alternatives (possibly square girders) when the proper canopies are constructed do you think...?

IMG_0120.JPG.69f010e25c0d33314ca4fbbc9de3890d.JPG IMG_0121.JPG.21cfd6d615e2333309ddf2c66be8626b.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG.f8547c17add8706411274467d17d54af.JPG IMG_0123.JPG.b9dd9c2fbd5eed418568009a9a8f88d8.JPG 

IMG_0124.JPG.5749e93fcdc6af837b0e05b2a64c33c4.JPG IMG_0127.JPG.a9fc1a823577e08c416391ec574173e9.JPG

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi.....

Perhaps when it comes to fixing the proper canopies into position, rather than trimming off the excess, would it be okay to drill down into the platform to the require depth, forming a stable location hole at the same time, into which the stanchions could slot?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

Although not that one, I have built quite a few pieces of laser cut rolling stock made of MDF which that looks to be, and have found it quite a nice medium to work with, I usually stick it with PVA, which requires holding or clamping for a short while as it dries, but allows you to make sure you are happy with how everything is positioned before it hardens, you can also stick it with super glue, but that goes off almost instantly, meaning there is no time for adjustment.

Hope that helps,

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Bondic is the answer to superglue Gary. UV curing, so you apply the glue and it doesn't even start to set until you play the UV light over it then it sets so hard you can machine it. It's a bit on the pricey side but there are now generic versions just as good and a great deal cheaper than the branded Bondic. You can get 50g packs with everything needed for application and a proper UV torch for around £20 on ebay.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2