SCC - Sparkshot Custom Creations - 3D Printed Loco Kits etc Various Scales

• RMweb Premium

Just as a little feedback it's only 'O' gauge I'm interested in as I gave up watch making in the smaller scales a good while ago. I like to be able to see my models and I like the size and weight of 'O' gauge models as well.  I used to do some modelling in narrow gauge to 1/16th scale as well, but I've decided to set that aside in favour of 'O' gauge modelling. Your BASIC FR and/or Cambrian bodyshell  https://www.shapeways.com/product/VZKEUQ92S/7mm-fr-e1-cambrian-spc-basic?optionId=63090775  definitely caught my eye as it could easily be the stepping off point for a good many pre-group locomotives by the fact of its 'Sharpie' origins.  The price isn't too bad and is affordable for me if I save my pocket money, but the big thing about the BASIC bodyshell is that it can be immediately used to sort out the chassis arrangements and the motor, gearing & etc with detailing following on afterwards.  All the detailing bits you're offering for the 'Sharpies' are a scratchbuilder's dream and the great thing is that none of them are expensive.  I hope that you will continue with the BASIC bodyshell format for other models because I think it would be a winner.

As to the future I'd like to see a good go anywhere do most things type of 0-6-0 tank engine.  I know you have the E2, but it's not really my kind of thing.  Sem's doing his G6 in 'O' which I'll be all over like a rash, but something like the Furness J1, but as an 0-6-0 would certainly catch my interest and have me saving up my pocket money  C1ST5Fx.gif

• Like 2

With the Basic range I did it because there are SOOOooooo many variations I thought it best the builder pick 'n' mix his/her components to get the desired result. I tried my best to balance the price so that if you ordered a full roster of parts to make one combination the price would be the same or at least similar to the few full combo bodies I made where I basically fixed at least one combo on you.

Other reasons for doing it is Shapeways automatic systems disallow too many parts in one upload, especially for WSF items so I was forced there also. Having individual parts makes cleaning them up for painting easier though.

I have actually sold a few of the bits individually and someone was very happy with the 7mm safety valve set that they told me was perfect for their needs so I guess it helps indeed.

I have many more plans for the Furness and Cambrian Railways. An 0-6-0 Sharpie based around the same boiler is likely in the pipeline as are a few others.

Important point to all.

As I am happy to re-scale most things.

If you want PARTS from any of the locomotives in most cases I can always yank them off and offer them as separate shop items. So chimneys and domes and steps and boilers for example can always be made if you want them for scratch building. The new A0 range also follows the same format. A few combinations offered as full locomotive shells but most are created by a mick and mix.

Edited by Knuckles

Don't get distracted. There are a few people who want bits(and you will find it mor difficult to get off the treadmill!), but far more who want something close to a complete model body they can then finish off. This is what I have found with my original narrow gauge models. Maybe narrow gauge modellers are more creative and don't want something like the chap next door, and expect to have to adapt and finish off models.

WSF is not that difficult to clean up, it is very easy to paint(throw out your enamels, and use some nice water solvent paints, even cheap emulsion from local DIY store), you just have to use the right materials, and have a bit of patience.Een reaching those difficult inside parts is easy.  The hard work of creating the model has been done.

For smaller scales(and I really only mean N gauge), there are a few advantages to using finer plastics(such as window size in coaches), but for bigger scales such as O and G1, not only is it not possible to get prints done in finer materials(yet?), but the cost goes up a lot.

I will be doing some locos, but only onesI actually want myself(at some time). What I have found has been that it takes a lot longer to design a loco body than a coach body. Even wagons can be easier. I have a design routine/schedule which I try to follow, and that way , I can have a new coach design up and running in a day, possibly 2. I amputting off some designs as I get bette at some of the fancier CAD tools, but I will get there eventually. Luckily most pregrouping coaches(something ignored by most r2r manufactueres), follow very similar designs, requiring relatively few changes. It probably takes longr for me to get drawings to a workable scale(Oscale) , assuming I can locate them. Some drawings are better than others, some have errors, but if there is a photo, those errors can be corrected.

Roof detail is most difficult part, especially as official drawings often don't show them, or designs get modified. If someone wants to change the roof detail, it is very easy to do. Also one reason why I am experimenting with roofless coaches in O and G1. There is also a cost beneft, which is not the case for smaller scales.

• Like 3

"Don't get distracted"

!

True and good advice. I aim to be flexible though, pulling some details off and offering as single or pack items isn't that big a job usually.

I personally like WSF, I find effort with filler primer gives a good result. Prefer FXD and also FUD but I prefer WSF's price! :D

My E2 in 0 Gauge is available in WSF and FUD but it won't pass on FXD. The gauge 1 versions will only pass in WSF due to the monstrous size although at that size it will be easy to smooth the surfaces anyway.

One thing I like about WSF is that it is more 'dropable' and most the time just bounces around with low damage risk. Great for beginners and 'yung unz.'

I have re-uploaded the G1 E2's with reduced walls and some details have been thinned and updated so it is better than before.

I do suffer from Perfectionists Disease and so leaving models alone is psychologically difficult as I strive for perfection. Sometimes I need to leash my own neck and say NO though.

I so far will only upload loco re-scales smaller than 4mm in FUD and FXD as getting things to pass in WSF is an absolute swine of a job.

Even getting the H0 one to pass is proving difficult although I'm not that far off it so I might at some point give it more effort. Getting prices down is important because this hobby and Shapeways sadly isn't for the most part cheap.

I'm rather surprised how much more expensive the G1 version of the E2 is compared to the 0 Gauge version. Then again the amount of extra plastic, machine space and printing time is significantly greater.

Mini announcement.

I have decided now the next Loco to be made will indeed be the 0-6-0 Sharpie, or early version of the D1 class.

I've had 2 emails and a post on here asking for it and showing interest and after looking at the loco it is clear it is (for the most part) just an E1 with different wheels.

Thus making it won't take an absolute age and the tender is already in effect done. So after these next re-scales I'm working on I'll get on with it.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

With coaches, I have found that G1 is about twice peice of O. The advantages of all the space inside start to get lost due to amount of extra plastic used. Might also be somethinin the algorythem that takes into account inflexibilty to position the model in the machine.

Please someone else mentioned the strength of WSF, having dropped some of my big models and they just bounced. Migh not be so tolerant when they have a heavy chassis in them.

Luckily I am not a perfectionist, but do try to get everything to a standard which is good enough to start finishing off. Surface does not matter to me as most of the locos I am interested in are industrial, and therefore should not be in perfect, tinplate type condition.

From my experience it is only a very small minority who are really fussy about their models. The rest are happy with having something rather than nothing. From a simple business point of view it is pretty obvious which is the better target market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mini announcement.

I have decided now the next Loco to be made will indeed be the 0-6-0 Sharpie, or early version of the D1 class.

I've had 2 emails and a post on here asking for it and showing interest and after looking at the loco it is clear it is (for the most part) just an E1 with different wheels.

Thus making it won't take an absolute age and the tender is already in effect done. So after these next re-scales I'm working on I'll get on with it.

Thoughts?

Those Sharpies are nice looking things. I was going to ask you if you had any plans to do the (Bob Rush) D3 0-6-0. I've been poring over the pictures I can find and it looks as though it could be readily adapted from your K2 (late, non superheated) model. It's what I'd really like to use to make 'James Catherick' ;) But if not I think I'll be buying another K2 to chop up!

I try to offer both WSF and FUD versions of most things to give both price points where possible. I agree that not everyone wants or needs a flawless finish yet I know some do and I'm one of them. Can't please everyone but we are trying for sure!

Not sure what you mean by 'please someone else...' and the remainder of the sentence. Grammar there is an enigma. :D

To Corbs. I don't have plans to make the D3 yet, one day maybe but the next Furness Fancy will be the early D1, made from the E1 and changed where needed.

Just checked my brown hard back Rush book and the boiler does look like it may be the same yet I also know these drawings are not always the most accurate when compared to other ones and photographs.

Again, I can't please everyone!

Giving it a good go though.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's ok-ish, I found a potential motor but the shaft was bent so I'm waiting on that, and some tender wheels, to arrive and then I can crack on with mounting the motor and wiring it up :) I've tested the 9V system and it works quite well, fingers crossed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mini announcement.

Thoughts?

5MFGZa2.gif

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want PARTS from any of the locomotives in most cases I can always yank them off and offer them as separate shop items. So chimneys and domes and steps and boilers for example can always be made if you want them for scratch building. The new A0 range also follows the same format. A few combinations offered as full locomotive shells but most are created by a mick and mix.

That will be something that I'll very much bear in mind for the future.  I won't make any requests until I know exactly what I want and I have the money to pay for it as I don't believe in messing folk around.

And concerning the debate that seems to endlessly go on about WSF and FUD (or at least on NGRM it seems to) I'm a big fan of WSF simply because with my poor co-ordination and fumble fingers due to this illness I live with I can't break it.  FUB FUD would be in bits all over the floor in my clumbsy hands and since it seems to have both the price and fragility of fine porcelain I wouldn't consider it for a moment no matter how glowingly perfect its surface might mythically be according to its supporters.

Just as an aside note WSF is great for things like 16mm scale fittings and parts as the surface finish on anything I purchased in this material in the past was really excellent.  WSF is also a lot cheaper than buying the same fittings in whitemetal and the parts are often crisper and cleaner and of course lacking in casting flash.

• Like 1

I don't have any plans for LBSCR at the moment. Doubt I will but you never know.

I appreciate you not wanting to duplicate things. I'm for the most part trying to fill gaps in the market rather than compete although the Class 28 dies have a brass Craftsman kit and the E2 does have a SE Finecast kit and the Hornby models so I challenged those I guess. The Class 28 I only made as I made the Mogul Experiment first and thought I might as well re-work it to make a proper 28 and I created the E2's because I was seriously frustrated with the qualitues and inaccuracies of the other two versions....so I did my own.

But as far as future LBSCR items go I haven't got any plans.

I drool over the H2 but Bachmann is doing that.

The 0-6-0 I can do as a BASIC version but in truth I'm unsure ywt how much variation the class has with a particular boiler pitch. So far all the photographs I have saw show one cab, chimney and splasher type so is there much point? I could do it anyway, my only concern is if there isn't a choice then it is pointless.

However as previously said I am happy to offer individual bits for scratch building so likely I'll sort something.

If you have any additional info you think would help that'd be cool.

I'm going to make an earlier example D1 so I can use the E1 as a basis to rebuild into it as it shouldn't take an age.

Then again it might be worth going the modular route again because the D1 had about 4 different boilers!

Re the WSF & FUD/FXD debate. I like them both. I wouldn't say FUD is quite that fragile. I dropped a FUD model with all the gubbins in on to a hard floor and cracked a few bits but they are clean breaks that glue together seamlessly.

WSF usually bounces a lot instead!

Choice is good.

• Like 3

LB&SCR E2 Extended tank no re-scaled into Gauge 1, both 10mm / 1:30.48 & 9.525 / 1/32 scales.

Chassis cover both a back to back setting of 40 & 42mm's in respect to their brake pad positionings.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XVZ5R73Q3/9-5mm-lb-scr-e2-extended-tanks?optionId=64914735

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HGZLKWCJW/10mm-lb-scr-e2-extended-tanks?optionId=64894928

I have done two chassis for the 1:32 / 9.525 versions.

42mm Back to back brake pad setting.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3TXWGM42S/lb-scr-e2-9-5mm-gauge-1-42mm-btob-chassis?optionId=64987251

&

40mm back to back brake pad setting.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PKUVSGTPQ/lb-scr-e2-9-5mm-gauge-1-40mm-btob-chassis?optionId=64987255

So far one 1:30.48 / 10mm version...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VFDR5XK7J/lb-scr-e2-10mm-gauge-1-40mm-btob-chassis?optionId=64987412

Likely will do a 42mm BtoB option also.

EDIT: Done, 42mm BtoB for 10mm...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AC6C9TVLM/lb-scr-e2-10mm-gauge-1-42mm-btob-chassis

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As I'm currently in progress on my second N gauge attempt (The first worked great until the card track packing failed and I lost my temper!)

I devised two little thingummies on my 3D printer to help install SEEP point motors.

Rather than explain everything here I'll just link you to the Shapeways versions where you can nab them if you want,

the instructions explain it all but I'll leave you with a picture of a packing plate installed on one of my SEEPs.

Bku9Qxc.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N9X4WP7GG/seep-solenoid-drilling-jig

&

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R7CUGN4YB/seep-solenoid-3mm-packing-plates-x6

Packing plates can be made to different thicknesses if you get in touch. As default they are set to 3mm which is what I needed them to be.

Edited by Knuckles

Progress.

The coupling rods are not finished, neither are the chassis's.

Quite a bit to do still although at a glance it is looking mostly done.

The new cab has been made that will also fit the E1's.

The frame and rear splasher box dimensions have been changed too.

Springs behind the splashers have had to be compromised very slightly

due to the usual printing tolerance issues so they have been integrated

meaning the splasher extends through them towards the top.

It can be remedied with a bit of gentle shaving or filing though.

What you think so far?

oP3MAf4.png

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...