Adventures in N Gauge - A very small man's Derby

m0rris

Evening All,

After lurking on the site for many many years, I thought it'd finally be worth opening up a workbench thread for my minor mountain of projects. Originally a 00 gauge modeller, I shifted to N gauge 5 years ago and haven't really looked back since, I was initially attracted by what you could achieve in N gauge in a relatively small space but I was drawn deeper and deeper in by the prospect of realistic length trains and 3D printing which leads me here. I've dubbed a small man's Derby due to the number of Bombardier models on my work bench at the moment, I am sure it'll need changing in due course....

My interests are in modern image N gauge, focusing on three areas (I never said I'd make it easy for myself) - Swiss, Great Western Mainline and I dabble a little in Scottish modelling. My interests are guided by where work and life take me and have lead to me developing a small range of 3D models to fill the gaps of what is currently available in N, starting with the Scotrail Class 380, something which no sane manufacturer was ever going to take on!

post-7229-0-94123500-1451676630.jpg

So to the workbench, its a little messy and I normally have plenty of projects on the go, today is no exception currently I have a Farish 350 to be Vinyled, a smattering of 1/32 car (and bus) projects and 3D print builds to be done for a class 166, 378, 380, 387 as well as a modern bus in 1/148. As you can see they are in a variety of states from primered....

post-7229-0-24968300-1451676768.jpg

To first coat....

post-7229-0-14851600-1451676779.jpg

To nearly finished

post-7229-0-08782000-1451676796.jpg

The class 387 is on "accomdation bogies", pinched from a Farish Turbostar to see how it looks whilst I paint it, the main chunks of spraying have been done with the doors left as the most obvious areas. The 3D model is going back in the works to make it easier to build

The class 166 is a BigP model off shapeways, with a DMCO currently in test build stage, it needs a little cleaning up but the core kit is great, the bodyshell fits the 170 chassis like a glove.

The 378 is a test build that is going pretty well so far, although I am getting a good understanding for pre grouping modellers pain in lining out old carriages!

Now I've introduced the work bench, back to the modelling!

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 7

Re. 378, Thanks Grahame. Jez, I do indeed have a full unit (only a four car though), which is varying stages of completion. painting the front with the subtle curve to the blue/orange area is doing my head in but I'll muddle my way though. This will appear on shapeways within the next fortnight.

Paul - I'll have a look, I should have some legacy photos floating about, I have unfortunately primered all of my last lot. Overall, the detail is presented a lot better in prime grey but a) you have to wait an age and b) there were some misprints that shapeways would have picked up but imaterialise missed when they sent out. Prime grey is significantly easier to prepare and paints than shapeways (I've had a little grief with one of the DMCO's of your 166 where shapeway's release agent won't let my primer "prime"). Any news on the 365/314s?

I'll post photos soon as it isn't too far off but my next project is about 4-6 weeks from printing is a class 180 Adelante.

(Apologies gents the quoting system won't work on my current computer)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

Progress has been slow, I need to suspend 3D modelling activities for a while to actually crack on with the real things. The 387 has found itself stuck in the same issue as my BigP class 365 model since I model the GWML I'm going to be starting afresh on the 387 to get it right for GWR!

I will try to get some more piccies up in the near future.

Thanks

Charlie

• 2 months later...

post-7229-0-68548300-1515009372_thumb.jpg

Matt, at long last I have some progress. I am not sure why RMweb appears to be flipping the picture but I decided to ditch my previous Electrostar progress and go for a nice green GWR 387 which is currently sat of borrow farish 170 bogies and a temporary chassis.

post-7229-0-02162400-1515009571_thumb.jpg