Mookie

• 3 weeks later...

Future plans for the model:

I haven't decided yet if to go ahead and replace the grills and fans with any brass detailing kits, as at this moment, as I don't think my model deserved the extra expense. ....

Maybe not, but you have proved that the use of the Class 47 bogies does work, and match the wheelbase much more closely than a production Deltic or Class 37 bogie ever could. If you get hold of a second Class 47 motor bogie, you could make your model double-motored.

Detailing it with brass etches is probably a waste if the windscreens and nose top profile are not corrected at the same time.

On 20/06/2016 at 12:11, Horsetan said:

Maybe not, but you have proved that the use of the Class 47 bogies does work, and match the wheelbase much more closely than a production Deltic or Class 37 bogie ever could. If you get hold of a second Class 47 motor bogie, you could make your model double-motored.

Detailing it with brass etches is probably a waste if the windscreens and nose top profile are not corrected at the same time.

Edited by Mookie

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mookie. Very nice work there!  I was looking at doing a similar thing, but from down in here in AUS it may be easier for me to chase the parts separately (peters spares have a few to work with).  Did you require anything else from the Class 47, excluding the base frame and front and rear boogies and connecting wire? 

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2016 at 13:55, kmargetson said:

Hi Mookie. Very nice work there!  I was looking at doing a similar thing, but from down in here in AUS it may be easier for me to chase the parts separately (peters spares have a few to work with).  Did you require anything else from the Class 47, excluding the base frame and front and rear boogies and connecting wire? 

Edited by Mookie

• 6 months later...

NIce to see the project is still continuing!  I havent got onto to mine yet, although my son keeps reminding me!  So, did the Class 47 work well. Have much longer is the chassis extended?  I just saw a DCC one on rails of sheffield  cheap, and may jump on that.

A1 models has re-released the etches for the prototype Deltic. John was at the Nottingham show last weekend, the etches contain the cant rail, bodyside grills and roof fans and grills also. Cost £10 which I think is fair value to inprove the look of the kit.

A1 website    A1modelsuk.com

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Virtually nothing RTR will, because the ProtoDeltic had a bogie wheelbase of 7'2" X 7'2". The closest is the Class 47 bogie which is 7'3" X 7'3".

On any of my r-t-r conversions, I would consider anything that came within a third of a millimetre of what I needed as manna from heaven.

John

• RMweb Gold

It's been sometime since I've posted anything on the development of my DP1. After moving house and working on the 'Honey do list', I've manage to sit down and do some work on the model. I purchased some builder plates from Fox Transfers and fixed the rest of the few parts left to the model (buffers and grills). 

Next steps will be fitting hand rails, prime and paint.

So whilst I'm researching these aspects of modelling and build up a model paint shop, I thought I'd turn to constructing a some Dapol Non-Gangwayed Coaches. I have two complete composites, a brake and 10 composite coach bodies, I picked up off eBay. My plan is to convert (cut and shut) these Lavatory models into Non-Lavatory ones.

So if there's any advice, I'd be very interested to know.

Kind regards,

Mookie.

For the coaches:

Tip number one. If you don't already have one, go out and get a 2" Engineer's square.  

Tip number two: Replace your razor-saw blade more often than you think you need to. You don't notice them deteriorating until it's too late. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

On any of my r-t-r conversions, I would consider anything that came within a third of a millimetre of what I needed as manna from heaven...

I initially went for Class 47 bogies as well, Heljan ones. Have to remember that there is a greater distance between bogie centres on DP1 compared to a 47, so you can't necessarily use the 47 underframe just as it is.

Edited by Horsetan

A1 models has re-released the etches for the prototype Deltic. John was at the Nottingham show last weekend, the etches contain the cant rail, bodyside grills and roof fans and grills also. Cost £10 which I think is fair value to inprove the look of the kit.

Is the website under construction? No sign of the Deltic items or anything else 4mm. scale, except OO9.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On 21/03/2017 at 04:37, kmargetson said:

NIce to see the project is still continuing!  I havent got onto to mine yet, although my son keeps reminding me!  So, did the Class 47 work well. Have much longer is the chassis extended?  I just saw a DCC one on rails of sheffield  cheap, and may jump on that.

Edited by Mookie

On 21/03/2017 at 09:00, Dunsignalling said:

For the coaches:

Tip number one. If you don't already have one, go out and get a 2" Engineer's square.  

Tip number two: Replace your razor-saw blade more often than you think you need to. You don't notice them deteriorating until it's too late. 

John

Edited by Mookie

On 21/03/2017 at 08:02, twiggyforest2 said:

Edited by Mookie