Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Whilst building up the enhusiasm to tackle berthas motion put finishing touches to a gbl project started some months ago. I thought would show here. It is the princess, and please I've seen the superlative ones on the dedicated thread. This will only ever be a layout loco. This as stated is the GBL one...I already have two Hornby both with modified rear trailing trucks as done here.

This will be one of three from the GBL source....I thought it would be the easiest namely a Hornby chassis and a repaint renumber. Firstly I hadn't comprehended how much plastic had to be removed to accomadate the chassis. Finally in place it virtually required a major rebuild...that done details such as steam and ejector pipes..handrail knobs and door dart....rear trailing truck adapted by removing lots of the metal...new sides made from brasss a stuck on. A repaint into.... still BR maroon but with orange black lining...and renumbered 46208 Princess Helena Victoria. I have two further donors...the first will have a Mike Edge chassis to represent 46205 with her unique motion. She will be painted BR black lined out red and grey in homage to my first ever model loco...the last will have a comet chassis but with the GWR style slidebars as princess Royal herself. I shall stop there having six models of this beautiful class of locopost-23587-0-38033200-1460217268_thumb.jpegljydt for good measure had my kitmaster garratt going around whilst I worked..image includedpost-23587-0-63353500-1460217335_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi, I'm really enjoying the diversity of this topic.  Really good stuff.  

Why stop at six Lizzies?  There were only 12 in the class (13 if you count 6202).  It simply cries out for completion when you've come so far.

I thought the Kitmaster Garratt had the rotating bunker, was the older style an option in the kits or have you twiddled with it?

Dear buhar ...yes the kitmaster had the rotating bunker. I was in the fortunate position of having a ks nucast model of that variant already on my stock list. I had gone into my local model shop tennants Halesowen ...no apologies for mentioning this shop..still trading..there was an unmade kitmaster Garratt. I bought it ...a true thing of beauty in its original box. Please allow me to digress into nostalgia. My home village...Water Orton....it had a wonderfull toy shop in the early sixties...my childhood. I befriended the owner, he produced from a hidden storeroom one day this same kit. It had ceased production even then. I was ....how can you describe that childlike awe and longing. I therefore had no hesitation in buying this model. My youngest son was with me and he too was taken by the sheer majesty of the engineering that the real garratt conveyed. It was duly made for him in what was a forlorn hope in igniting his interest in model railways. He is a qualified engineer courtesy of HM Royal Navy, and his present employer a Global engineering company. He never caught the railway bug but still loves the garratt. I convinced him to allow me to motorise his possession, on the understanding then as now it is his..,,I took the opportunity to scratch build the straight sided tender out of plastic to represent a member of the class 47998 which never received the rotating bunker.. It was not straightforward to motorise...two comet fowler 264t chassis purchased....the motion had to be adapted with different motion brackets. The portescap motor inverted into the tender...the carefull weighting of all three plastic bodies...the nucast had two motors....this only one....still in my opinion the rolls Royce of model gear motor combos....although have had excellent results with others...sorry to meander...I do feel it important to understand how we arrive at our current state...please enjoy and if I can assist through my own experience..some of it hard won.

• Like 1

When I dismantled my Kitmaster Garratt sample, I discovered that although it has the rotating bunker, the width of the tank / supporting structure underneath only makes it correct for two of the class.

The sides of the structure need moving in by about 2mm overall to be correct for the other thirty.....

Returning to Bertha today. I had been studying a number of photos, not least the excellent ones by DJ Norton. In the one shown of the front of loco, it clearly shows prominent sandboxes under those massive cylinders. They are not in the kit. I've just fettled a couple out of whitemetal scrap and brass rod as shown. I feel they add to that defining character of the real loco. I've also noticed the crosshead cover between the cylinder and running plate...will be added....also not in kit. Please do not take the remarks as being disparaging ...overall this kit is well cast and I'm really enjoying putting it together....and adding my own detailingpost-23587-0-26836400-1460301789_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi, I'm really enjoying the diversity of this topic.  Really good stuff.  

Why stop at six Lizzies?  There were only 12 in the class (13 if you count 6202).  It simply cries out for completion when you've come so far.

I thought the Kitmaster Garratt had the rotating bunker, was the older style an option in the kits or have you twiddled with it?

dont think I'm not tempted to complete the whole class.....I have a similiar dilemma with the class 44 diesel. All ten of them were regulars through Water Orton....I currently have d1 d5. D 9 and 10 the latter two with the unique American style grilles....these are in addition to members of class 45 and 46.... You can't have too many peaks on a model of the NE/SW mainline in my chosen era. I apologise if in listing these I'm coming across as a boaster....I'm obsessed ....with collecting different variants types of locos....my lovely wife often asks don't you have enough model trains....my reply don't you have enough dresses...I must be carefull though as I've requested a full size replica totem for Coleshill next year to celebrate a big birthday. I alreay have one for Water Orton...given on a previous milestone birthday

Worked today on the crosshead valve spindle guide again missing from the kit...fashioned s couple from plasticard and stuck on top of valve spindle with superglue..will photo in due course....you have to be in the mood for this tedious detail work...but worth it....

Coming on nicely there.

Still think it would make a lovely subject in etched brass / nickel-silver, though.....

i Ivan agree up to a point...the smokebox boiler foot plate and cylinders were beautifully created in the whitemetal castings...where it would certainly score in the etched stakes ...tender giving options for original and low sided versions...cab....brake assembly...detail ....one slight confession...earlier in the construct had a high level 54/1 gearbox....whilst messing with the slack on axles to allow maximum flexibility..well running it upside down with test wires..had soldered brake hangar wires thru the frames...coupling rods jam....result.shredded gear on idler axle on the 54/1 gearbox... It was at this stage I almost practised my rugby drop goal technique and sent it into orbit.....ok a few feet into the air anyway. I was lucky to have an assembled 40/1 hi level gearbox and motor set up...awaiting going into my next project a princess chassis. I swapped it for the now broken 54/1.... I was going to keep this to myself..but honesty prevails...Bertha can now romp around my layout like the midday Scot...but more importantly travel slowly as well.i will in time ask. Chris to supply a replacement gear when I order my 40/1 gear and. Motor for princess Vicky. the original set up won't go to waste but on what....?
  • Like 2

post-23587-0-61681200-1461519946_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-28574800-1461519967_thumb.jpegdetailing almost there just w three link coiupling, crew crushed real coal n tender...Matt varnish light coat Just to tone down the gloss necessary for transfers..speaking of which just ordered small early crest ones from modelmaster...will next photo when fully completed....as stated at outset she will be as per the photo in huntress book in 1951 just x works. En route back to the lickey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi , 

watched and read this thread with interest as I have a unstarted beast - this inspiring and the painted photos - ex works look great and a fine end to all your labours and I hope you have great fun playing/ operating it 

many thanks for all the tips freely given, may be one day mine will get started, unless a good offer made for it !

Cheers

Robert    

thank you all for kind comments..I use my  Ipad to take photos....the insta editor facility as this produces images that the rm web threads accept. I accept whatever my skills as a modeller my photographic ones... .

Thanks Steve....a lot of the finished product is thanks to the excellent DJH whitemetal castings....the cylinders in particular I'm sure would present a major challenge in etch form ( although just examined my next project a michael edge princess chassis......a masterpiece in etching.....and I'm sure someone with mr edges talent...anything is possible) My point I read your thread and the ingenuity shown in producing details parts ....from unlikely sources...I am really in awe. In conclusion really enjoyed making this...and eventually overcoming the problems...some of my own making. I've just matted the body, painted the cab....added crew and three link. Slight spray of a fine dark grey added a layer....thin...layer of soot....its been observed in Tony Wrights thread...steam locos never stayed clean for long. I'm just awaiting some small early crest ferret and dartboards....to finish the tender...will photo then after light Matt varnish and light weather of this item.

Agree that the model deserves a better picture, looks very impressive

I will try with my final photos....lighting and setting assist......I know...... I've got a levels in stating the blinking obvious