Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Sorry for any lack of posts....been side tracked last couple of days bought a S/H Hornby King Arthur.......yes I know I model the midland lines NE of Brum and apart from the preserved Sir Lamiel  in 1980s never likely to have been through in BR days.....unlike RB merchant navies and URB and RB west countries which did so on specials in sixties.....but ....but it was sitting there all lonely in its display case...and I had some birthday money from my children to spend....thus ensuring their continuing presence in my will.....anyway purchased ....soon to be repainted into BR green....

I digress, the blighter kept derailing on my bend from hell....more trackwork modifications....if a rtr 460 wont stay on the track what hope for the big girl when she gets to that stage..

latest Hornby variant of the Arthur by the way..

Cured the Arthur....thought to myself if it was one of my creations and it did this.....checked the back to backs...sure enough rear drivers a tad too tight...slight pressure to widen...ever so little....now rides well.....back to Bertha, a lady can only be ignored for so long!

• Like 1

post-23587-0-02365900-1454088131_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-63268200-1454088154_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-46230400-1454088179_thumb.jpeg just added the wheels to chassis...reduced the lead and end bearings considerably with a file to give flexibility to chassis. The one piece boiler and running board just added for effect. The second photo is of valve gear...in response to an earlier query not jointed...the centre crank pin acts as a pivot...and lastly the 54/1 hillier I decided upon..quality product and great service..more soon.....oh and yes she goes around my dreaded inner curve...hope she does so under her own steam and not just finger power
  • Like 5

G'day all

Thanks for posting the informative pics. 

From the look of the valve gear etch, a driven middle axle will result in the equivalent of two 0-6-0's with drive on the rear axle placed back-to-back.

The firebox looks huge and would accommodate a large motor.

Earlswood nob

post-23587-0-21002300-1454161956_thumb.jpegthe hi flier and round can mashima more situated in chassis has been given my usual twenty minute run in either direction ....very smooth...run n nicely ....you may gather won't get in work as a " hand model" anytime soon....in any case would interfere with my other work as a body double for shriek....

Just a quick note gearbox made as per instructions...one minor glitch easily sorted...the opening for the motor boss I am using was a little too small....opened it out by drill in dremel gently opening it out until a nice fit ion motor.....worm place as recommended with ts middle some 6 mm from the motor face...loctite used to secure....snug fit in frames....idler gears bit tricky...excess dremelld off and a dab of superglue gel ....very small grub screw secures brass gear to driving axle.

Coupling rods added after gentle renaming out of their holes...the chassis tested again with them on ..no apparent tight spots running very smooth....pick ups to be added then let's see how she performs on track.

Just a quick note gearbox made as per instructions...one minor glitch easily sorted...the opening for the motor boss I am using was a little too small....opened it out by drill in dremel gently opening it out until a nice fit ion motor.....worm place as recommended with ts middle some 6 mm from the motor face...loctite used to secure....snug fit in frames....idler gears bit tricky...excess dremelld off and a dab of superglue gel ....very small grub screw secures brass gear to driving axle.

With the worm so far from the motor face, how do you adjust the end float?

Hi Peter, I followed the instructions.....it states the middle of the brass worm should be 6mm from the face of the motor...this leaves a very slight gap between the end of the worm and motor face....Chris then goes on to instruct that when fitting the first stage. idler gear under the worm you should see daylight between the worm and first stage I gear cogs..I have now constructed a number of these gearboxes...on one occasion due to my incompetence I shredded a plastic gear...I was able to obtain a replacement from Chris at High level. I always test the motor gearbox either in the chassis frames, as in this case or held for example in a vice and run firstly by rotating the end of the motor shaft by hand....in this case had cut it off so straight to under power......I thoroughly recommend running in of motors and gears before putting them under any sort of load. I run them both in forward and reverse about twenty minutes each way . Tony. Wright in one of his excellent articles on chassis building notes that some of not all gears have a tendency to run more smoothly in one direction better than the other. I too have found this to be the case. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Sorry for any lack of progress....never started a thread before....Bertha as reported over the weekend now awaiting pick ups...a fiddly task ...daunting on an 060 or 460 chassis....with a this ten wheeler even more so....I've also been diverted by finishing the attached model.....a GBL v2 body...Hornby a3 inserts...SE finecast a2 chassis ...adapted...scratch cylinders around comet LNER components, and a Hornby Tornado tender converted back n time.....apologies to anyone who has seen this materalise on other threads...but the reason I've been diverted from the big girl.......back to my original line on starting a thread and inviting people to share you experiences...hadnt expected the sense of responsibility......eh Ho at the end of the day it's a hobby please enjoy ....or not...I certainl do...post-23587-0-07500500-1454452424_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Just taken possession of a 3 mm to 12mmtapered reamer courtesy of Amazon...what a tool....wish I'd had it last week for opening out bearing holes.....speaking of tools ...my ex boss once said to me...I have a number of tools in my box ....but you are by far the biggest !... I was overcome by emotion...I digress the first tool mentioned is a quality piece of kit, well supplements by five side broach..

.....what a tool....wish I'd had it last week for opening out bearing holes.....speaking of tools ...my ex boss once said to me...I have a number of tools in my box ....but you are by far the biggest !... ..

Oh I dunno, there were a couple of those in the Hatton Garden burglary....

post-23587-0-23541700-1454765132_thumb.jpegjust added the pick ups by my usual method....copperclad board gapped to form a centre area where the pick ups to the insulated wheels are soldered. The pick ups are phos bronze wire wrapped around a small dia screwdriver forming a spring. This is soldered to copperclad...the other end sprung against the wheel tyre. The chassis runs very nicely.however as suspected from the off needs more Sideplay to get around my curve into fiddle yard. This will necessitate removal of wheels and a major reduction in the those bearing not yet adapted...I thought just reducing first and fifth would be enough...it wasnt

Havnt been working on her as such this week....her long wheelbase has further exposed my poor track laying.....bitten the bullet and relaid the offending trackwork.....she seems to like the new arrangement. I posted to my friend John Rowan earlier this week....if your trackwork isn't up to it all our creations are nothing more than debris by the side of the track if they derail.....

• Like 1

Still not happy with the flexibility of the 010 0 chassis....studying the Hornby railroad 9f. It has a central 060 arrangement off the third driving axle. The two outer rods are riveted in place. I have been contemplating how to do this with the DJH arrangement. I think I will solder a n/ s piece behind the centre set, taking care not to solder the outer rods. I will then drill holes for the rivets....separate the unsolder end pieces...then rivet back in place. I hope this gives the extra flexibility this chassis requires on my radii. My minimum is based on the inner curvature of the peco code 75 point will post the results of this. If this fails I note Alan Gibson sells a set of wd 2 100 rods which have same wheelbase..