• RMweb Premium

:D

Yes the delights of instantaneous etheric communication Northroader.  The Fen Drove article is certainly worth hunting out amongst the magazine stacks if you aren't like me with my super convenient birthday present RM on-line subscription. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I missed seeing you today I was wandering around all day but a lot of nattering with friends. 

Fen Dove was nicly modelled. Aparantly th rest of the layout is up in the loft and about 60ft long to the same standard.

Don

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Northroader said:

Thank you for enquiring, Mikkel, I’m afraid I’m still at a standstill with the Washbourne line, as all my energy (?) has been going on to the Englefield line for something like two months.  Over there I’ve decided that it was ripe for a rebuild from a terminus / fiddleyard into a through station with small fiddle yards each end, as I’ve been pushing recently on here, and this is shaping nicely, and I’ve decided to stay focused on getting it somewhere near finished. 

Thanks for the update, and don't let me distract you then. Staying focused is hard enough as it is in this hobby of so many possibilities.

Speaking of which, Fen Drove does look exciting in that clip, as do David's layouts which have now been bookmarked for further reading.  Many thanks for pointing in their direction.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Northroader said:

Funnily enough I’ve been off today to the ALSRM do at Reading, which I think is always good for finding good layouts to admire.

Wah! A direct clash with my club's show just a few miles away, at which I was busy all day with the first outing of one of our club layouts. I've never managed to get to one of the Rivermead shows and always regret it. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Don’t get me wrong, but I think one of the main attractions is that the bulk of shows are built around OO with a bit of N, whereas with the ALSRM do the whole lot is large scale, and finding great variety. You’ll have to get your club to swap dates. I failed to mention that the Hambleden Valley Line was there, another that looks magic, with hands-off live steam.

http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk/the-hambledon-valley-railway/4594144236

• Like 4

It's the first reading show that we have missed in about 5 years. But we couldn't do the 16 hour round trip with a 4 year-old and have him fighting fit for school today.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Wah! A direct clash with my club's show just a few miles away, at which I was busy all day with the first outing of one of our club layouts. I've never managed to get to one of the Rivermead shows and always regret it. 

Can I ask which show that was?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Can I ask which show that was?

Apologies this is well off-topic but since the Question has been Put, the Swallowfield show, one of two shows per year organised by the Loddon Vale Model Railway Club, of which I am a member. (In the 2018 group photo, I am on the extreme right.) I'm involved with the club layout Erlegh Quay, which was having its first outing as a "work in progress". Here's some video footage - the Hand of Lea can be seen at 8:57. Warning: not pre-Grouping! The stock is all 1950s WR, mostly RTR, none of it mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Stephen and thank you Northroader,

I have been to the Autumn Exhibition at St Peters with my son,  grand daughter and grandson so I wondered if that is the one you meant which is why I asked.  We had the grandchildren with us this week so did not go and as next week is Expo EM I would be chancing it two weeks in a row.

• RMweb Premium

I was scanning the group photo for your club, Stephen, wondering if I could find a person I used to work with, lived in Earley, name of Grahame, modelled in N gauge, couldn’t find him, ah well, the other thing I didn’t find in the layout photos was a single D299 wagon? You’re slipping.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You might check out the Berkshire Area Group of the N Gauge Society - @Bagladdies - they have a Facebook page.

The LVMRC is, as advertised, a very friendly club, but GWR/WR with a bit of SR does predominate. I'm hoping to work towards a pre-grouping day on Erlegh Quay! As in all missionary work, one has to start with where people are at...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The above brings back memories. One of the boys in my class was the son of the vicar of Grazeley. Depite living in Caversham I spnt a lot of time around Earley / Maiden Erleigh.  It has all changed now by the look of the local maps.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I remember that. Around that time my pocket money went on Last Train to San Fernando Johnny Ducan and the Bluegrass Boys on a 78 for the windup gramaphone.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quote: “we’re an award winning, anti capitalist, BDSM inspired, techno punk, cyber goth, entertainment, opera influenced performance entourage founded with the goal of exposing the anomaly of neoliberal society and the relentless scam that we call everyday life. It is a reflection on power and powerlessness, hope and hopelessness.” 

Stick with rock and roll, eh?