wiring help

modfather

Sorry to ask so rudely, but I am on a quest to get a layout built in time for the swag meet. Being lousy at electronics, how am i best to wire this to use electrofrog points and manual switching?

Thanks in advance. MAtt

26206_334766794138_649384138_3590662_5531945_n.jpg

In case it doesnt show, its the same track plan as ruyton road.

• RMweb Gold

Always supply points from the toe, and fit insulating rail connectors to both rails of the vee (frog). Insulating rail joiners on the vee can result in it being necessary to feed the isolated rail as well.

If you don't want to rely on the electrical contact between switch and stock rail to supply the switch rail and frog, then you'll need to modify the points and install a switch to supply the frog. It is entirely feasible to have a manually operated switch connected to your point.

Cheers chaps, my plan has changed to a crib of hepton wharf (cos it fits the space better) I will have a go and wait for the bangs (Strange isn't it...I'm happy to do just about anything to a 15x or 14x at work but struggle with model electrics...)

By modifying the points, does this mean cutting off the jumping wires underneath, at which point a assume a 3/2way switch shoud do the trick for each point?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and you'd be better off connecting the switch rails to the adjacent stock rail. Single pole, 2 way switch is what you'll need. Connect a wire from each stock rail to a 'pole'and one wire from the 'common' to the frog.

I hope my rubbish drawing helps, but if not, I'm sure somebody else will oblige.

post-7024-126756073269_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have shown the minimum feeds and insulated rail joiners needed.

6 red and 7 black feeds (shown by triangles, note; two are under the bridge) and 6 IRJs.

Caution.... If you opt for separate frog switching (toggle switches etc.) with finger operated live frog points, a full short circuit will occur if you try to move either the point blade or the switch.

The reason is both have to move together!

e.g. Moving the point blade to the other closed position would send a reversed polarity to the frog, which is still being maintained by the switch to the opposite polarity! Or moving the switch to the reverse position, the frog will then be supplied with a reverse polarity, but with the point blade still in the original position and that is sending an opposite polarity to the frog! Result in either case is a full short circuit!!!

The only way around this if you want manually operated frog switching is to proved insulated joints into the two closure rails of each point and link the closure rail to its mating stock rail. Making the point so called 'DCC friendly' - A term I dislike! This is shown on my web site DCC page.

The traverser would require it rails feeding too (not shown). This can be a permanent feed to all rails or a switched feed to the appropriate rail - often via a slide bolts, a rotary switch or three individual On/Off (DPDT) toggle switches.

post-281-126763411872_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

One very easy way to combine switching and point operation is to use a slide switch instead of a toggle. Couple one end to a wire in tube system to move the point and wire it as above. Just remember to screw the witch firmly to the baseboard. I've seen this done many times and it's very reliable as it impossible to move point without switching it.

Jamie

• 9 months later...

Archived