4 minutes ago, Regularity said:

“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.” - Naomi Shulman

Throw in a few people who will inform on their neighbours - Covid-snitching, where there is at least the justification of protecting society against transgressors, is going to be an easy way to breed that habit - and you have the final ingredient of your functioning police state.

Just over the border from me in Yorkshire lies a village that includes people community-spirited enough to get a first responder sacked for an alleged lockdown breach and who kept a list of everyone who failed to participate in the Thursday evening NHS clapping.  

Makes you proud doesn't it?

Moving onto to a lighter note, I once caused visible and audible consternation in the aisles of the unforgivably named 'Toys R Us' (now mercifully no more) in Peterb*gger by observing that Lego City was an oppressive police state.  If you looked at the number of sets including police figures, vehicles, buildings etc in proportion to all other human activities, people, vehicles etc depicted in that range, it became clear that this was the most shockingly over-policed community on the planet! 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Lego City was an oppressive police state.  If you looked at the number of sets including police figures, vehicles, buildings etc in proportion to all other human activities, people, vehicles etc depicted in that range, it became clear that this was the most shockingly over-policed community on the planet! 

But it had a superbly-equipped fire department.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The ideal dome would seem to be somewhere between the two?

GER Soc pictures.

Probably.

Whether it's practical to attempt to remove it, I don't know. 

All in all, this kit or scratch-build (as it was described) is cruder and less detailed than the Hornby, but, as I hope is captured by the pictures, just has much more character and appeal. To my eyes the Hornby model (which has its errors and the horrible join to the lower boiler, that suggests to me that it really won't look good in blue!) lacks soul in comparison.

Still, I'm funny that way about old things.

EDIT: This picture is of another loco in the same lot (order K15) of 1884.  It shows the dome nicely, and it does make Hornby's dome look a little too slim, IMHO.

Note also the large cab-cut out and low termination of tender handrail to match,  non-fluted rods, lack of wheel balance weights and the D shaped tender frame cut outs.

1720299216_GERY14627.jpg.ac0f50cf19d0f3b946ea5883f9bc8d13.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

I need to obtain the following:-

- Face masks bearing the legend - 'My ancestors were immigrants'

- An elaborate broach in the form of a spider (and possibly also for other insects.)

However, I am also awaiting delivery of an Isinglass drawing for an engine I have often longed to make.

(Which is suitably pre-grouping in origin)

How far should we enjoy our amusements and distractions, and when will the time come when we should take to the streets?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, drmditch said:

I need to obtain the following:-

- Face masks bearing the legend - 'My ancestors were immigrants'

I'm looking for the ones that say "all our ancestors were immigrants".

Which reminds me that the ads during the early rounds of Roland Garros included with excessive frequency the one for "Viking River Cruises" which conjours up in my mind not quite the sedate trip down the Rhine or or Danube they had in mind, for all that their vessels are, technically, longboats. I looked in vain for the small print "rape and pillage not included".

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

30 minutes ago, drmditch said:

... when will the time come when we should take to the streets?

I'll see you there!

(mind you, perhaps it is possible to be a little too liberated!)

1877724572_Eugne_Delacroix_-_Le_28_Juillet._La_Libert_guidant_le_peuple.jpg.8aeb291018709da4a0a48d4afb4217d6.jpg

Just now, Compound2632 said:

Which reminds me that the ads during the early rounds of Roland Garros included with excessive frequency the one for "Viking River Cruises" which conjours up in my mind not quite the sedate trip down the Rhine or or Danube they had in mind, for all that their vessels are, technically, longboats. I looked in vain for the small print "rape and pillage not included".

:D

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Just over the border from me in Yorkshire lies a village that includes people community-spirited enough to get a first responder sacked for an alleged lockdown breach and who kept a list of everyone who failed to participate in the Thursday evening NHS clapping.  

Makes you proud doesn't it?

Aye, it does lad.

As far as I know, I am not in anyway descended from people from Yorkshire, who are apparently genetically distinct from everyone else on these islands. Which is only possible through in-breeding, so I don't know why they wanted to crow about it.

Sorry Norfolk, but despite the jokes, you are in a much lower league...

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I'll see you there!

(mind you, perhaps it is possible to be a little too liberated!)

1877724572_Eugne_Delacroix_-_Le_28_Juillet._La_Libert_guidant_le_peuple.jpg.8aeb291018709da4a0a48d4afb4217d6.jpg

:D

What a bonkers picture!

A gal without a top, and a bloke without his trousers...

Very French....

• Funny 7

Sans-culotte literally and figuratively, I guess.

(No idea what the French is for sans brassiere. Maybe its sans brassiere. Although, thinking about it, which I probably shouldn't, had brassieres been invented by then, or was it still the era of those pre-corset-corset-things that women wore in C17th?)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I post some pictures of it with the Hornby J15, so the detail differences between early and late conditions can be seen easily.

The thing that thumped me immediately was the difference in splasher size, those two shouldn't be seen out together.

Alan

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Buhar said:

The thing that thumped me immediately was the difference in splasher size, those two shouldn't be seen out together.

True. Why do RTR 0-6-0s always have over-scale splashers? I understand that 00 flanges are over-scale, increasing the diameter of the wheels, but the narrow gauge means that those flanges are inside the true line of the frames and hence behind the splashers, so clearance really shouldn't be an issue?

Edited by Compound2632

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Aye, it does lad.

As far as I know, I am not in anyway descended from people from Yorkshire, who are apparently genetically distinct from everyone else on these islands. Which is only possible through in-breeding, so I don't know why they wanted to crow about it.

Sorry Norfolk, but despite the jokes, you are in a much lower league...

Well, I'm 50% Yorkshire by blood, but I know what you mean.

Up here you realise that there is The North, essentially equating to the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, and then there's Yorkshire and that the two are really rather different.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Up here you realise that there is The North, essentially equating to the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, and then there's Yorkshire and that the two are really rather different.

Speaking as someone who did his higher education in red rose country, I think that’s fine distinction... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, brianusa said:

I find it intriguing why warrior women of old seem happy to go to war half naked!:P

Brian.

Because it is easier to smite the blokes when their attention is elsewhere of course!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Sans-culotte literally and figuratively, I guess.

(No idea what the French is for sans brassiere. Maybe its sans brassiere. Although, thinking about it, which I probably shouldn't, had brassieres been invented by then, or was it still the era of those pre-corset-corset-things that women wore in C17th?)

Perhaps she's indicating that the pubs are open for business again?

As for the bloke, I suppose he's a fairly broad metaphor for the Government being caught unawares.....

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

or was it still the era of those pre-corset-corset-things that women wore in C17th?

The upper-class/fashionable tended to have a flat board thingy that squashed eveything into place under a lace-up bodicey thingy.  The rest just tended to flop about under whatever they  were wearing.

9 hours ago, brianusa said:

I find it intriguing why warrior women of old seem happy to go to war half naked!:P

Brian.

Because it took too long for an armourer to beat out a breastplate for them.  So many fittings, y'know....

OR  Painters just like painting them like that!

• Informative/Useful 2

There is a good line in one of the Ben Aaronovitch books:

'Woman so busy inspiring her followers that she doesn't have time to pull her dress up.'

(or words to that effect.)

(Can recommend the 'Rivers of London' series. Good light relief, although have not abandoned the 5th century - see above.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Can recommend the 'Rivers of London' series. Good light relief, although have not abandoned the 5th century - see above.)

Some good railway connections there, where the various bits of the ‘underground’ cross them.

My favourite is at Sloane Square, where the river crosses the station in an aqueduct that looks like a footbridge.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1