• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Apparently contracting Covid-19 was a "blessing from God".

And you thought it couldn't get madder!

When I heard that yesterday, I was astounded that the extreme guesses about his next comment turned out to be quite sensible after all.

• Agree 1

As a university student I am, of course because all students are definitely like this, mortified at the prospect of potentially having to stay indoors, having to not meet in large, not spend all night in the town getting p*ssed, not allowed to attend horrendous parties, etc.

As you can imagine the prospect of not being able to do any of those things is so utterly dreadful that I simply cannot think what I shall do to pass the time so I shall whinge to the local paper about how I feel imprisoned and unable to go anywhere.

(Apparently some actually felt like that last week when in-person teaching was temporarily suspended. Clearly they think that prisons contain miles of rather nice country, a couple of decent hills, lots of public footpaths, passable bus and rail routes in and out to other nice places and to Telford, and even Birmingham too. Add to that the pile of kits in the corner, the Talyllyn Railway plus my tiny social circle and I think I might be able to cope despite the horrific hardships that I may yet suffer if in-person teaching is suspended again...)

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Hardly a Nirvana, but it's below the Top Left-Hand Corner of Wales; Aberystwyth.

Suitably cheery hymn tune to match the current weather...

But I genuinely can't understand the complaints of feeling "locked in"; By Welsh standards the countryside here is mundane but as a native of Southeast England I find it extremely pleasant.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Having lived near Telford I think that Sem may have "got a touch of the sun" by including that almost literally God forsaken place in a list of desirable destinations, unless he is thinking of the industrial archeology. I have to confess that now living in Cornwall I am mercifully far away from the worst of the Covid19 insanity and able to see both a stunning sunrise and also a beautiful sunset over the sea on my way to and from work today. I do though need something to keep me cheerful as I work somewhere where we only see our 'clients', for want of a better word, just the once and they are very quiet by the time they get to us. Stay safe and keep as sane as possible everyone.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sem said 'nice places AND Telford " - he rightly does not include it in the category of nice places but as something else - and it certainly is something else.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ian said:

Sem said 'nice places AND Telford " - he rightly does not include it in the category of nice places but as something else - and it certainly is something else.

Quite, It was the way he went on "and even Birmingham too" that raised my hackles.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Having mentioned George Borrow, i thought I'd skim his biog.

His father was a Lieutenant in the West Norfolk Militia.

Somewhere along the line we've had the history of the West Norfolk Militia; I forget the details but there turned out to be a previously overlooked battalion or division or whatever?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, and he implied Telford wasn’t to be grouped with nice places, and I was raised there, although before they invented Telford, so that’s two upset persons.

My daughter had a friend who started at Aberystwyth Uni, but the Welshness got to her in the end, and she transferred to Cardiff, where my daughter was. There, wonder how many I’ve upset?

As you say, Sem, it is a very pleasant area, enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite, It was the way he went on "and even Birmingham too" that raised my hackles.

Ah, but could I have meant Birmingham to be something other than nice in a more positive sense; Greater even than 'nice'?

I'll leave you to decide!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

Having lived near Telford I think that Sem may have "got a touch of the sun" by including that almost literally God forsaken place in a list of desirable destinations, unless he is thinking of the industrial archeology.

As others have said; I intentionally included Telford outside of my overarching description of "Nice" because I am aware of its reputation!!

I shall leave my intent with regard to Birmingham open to interpretation as that seems somewhat more controversial.

53 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Yeah, and he implied Telford wasn’t to be grouped with nice places, and I was raised there, although before they invented Telford, so that’s two upset persons.

Well if it was before they invented Telford you're alright!

My daughter had a friend who started at Aberystwyth Uni, but the Welshness got to her in the end, and she transferred to Cardiff, where my daughter was. There, wonder how many I’ve upset?

A warning, perhaps? I have a cousin at Cardiff...

As you say, Sem, it is a very pleasant area, enjoy.

I shall indeed, hopefully!

It's certainly better than my royally b*ggered previous abode.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Ah, but could I have meant Birmingham to be something other than nice in a more positive sense; Greater even than 'nice'?

I'll leave you to decide!

When in a hole, stop digging...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3