1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

No corsetry there. This is English so still fairly restrained - try Biscuits Lefevre-Utile...

And rather sweet too....

Unlike the infamous Cycles Sirius, the first we have seen before, but there are at least a couple of others

cycles-sirius1.jpg.6d15a173d686fd3a43eb8fdea431d38f.jpg  cycles-sirius2.jpg.298e1f8d0fc71557439400fa1396f56a.jpg  cycles-sirius3.jpg.ce123a4711c2c37da92c462eacdcb30e.jpg

The third reminds me of the theory of Bicycles put forward in "The Third Policeman"....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Just to change to subject completely there's been a discussion about pre-grouping era shops on the creator group I belong to and one of the members posted this 1915 paint colour chart.  I thought it might well be of interest to the parish.

550o1xC.jpg

I see "Lead Colour" is a dark grey...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave John said:

What we ( er....  I ) really would like is a silhouette that cuts 10 thou brass. I like brass. It is just so brassy. 

Anyway, off to build a loco. 

Well that is effectively what etching does. I would think if you can do the drawings for one you could do them for the other just a bit of a learning curve understanding what is needed for the different medium.

I suspect a stout pair of scissors would cut 10thou if you don't have Gilbows.

29 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

655460110_WNRWolfringhamPoster-Small.jpg.f8e941cad49f7b246ad72d6e576e91d0.jpg

One wonders just what the gentleman with the bad foot has been taking. He looks to have run off from a nursing home slipper on his good foot and some horrid injury or infection on the other yet he seems to be pretending to be a horse with a huge grin on his face. The chap in th chair may have instigated this mad caper but now seems to be regretting it. I have no doubt they will both be regretting it by the time it wears off.

Don 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Donw said:

Well that is effectively what etching does. I would think if you can do the drawings for one you could do them for the other just a bit of a learning curve understanding what is needed for the different medium.

I suspect a stout pair of scissors would cut 10thou if you don't have Gilbows.

One wonders just what the gentleman with the bad foot has been taking. He looks to have run off from a nursing home slipper on his good foot and some horrid injury or infection on the other yet he seems to be pretending to be a horse with a huge grin on his face. The chap in th chair may have instigated this mad caper but now seems to be regretting it. I have no doubt they will both be regretting it by the time it wears off.

Don 

The art was reused to promote the health-giving properties of Skegness, so is a coda to the better known "So bracing" series.

I take it that we see the gouty former occupant of the bath chair cured and, in an excess of enthusiasm, conveying a hapless cabbie in the chair (note his chaps worn on the lower leg, his cabman's disc and his generally insalubrious appearance!)  . 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Just to change to subject completely there's been a discussion about pre-grouping era shops on the creator group I belong to and one of the members posted this 1915 paint colour chart.  I thought it might well be of interest to the parish.

550o1xC.jpg

I note white exterior paint!

Interesting to see "Lead" as a darker grey than "Dark Grey".  I presume that "Lead", whether or not at this stage actually made like traditional lead colour paint, represents the same colour.  Guy mentions modern interpretations being lighter; could this be due to the modern colour taking its cue from the collour of lead roofing rather than Victorian lead paint?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Annie said:

550o1xC.jpg

I could do with some of these for my house... just beware of Riddoppo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I think this is an American chart - note spelling of "color" and the listing of "barn paint". However, looking quickly in Montague's Gloucester RC&W Co. book, that company's photo boards say "lead color" - which does appear to cover a range of apparent darknesses.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That colour card is non-British isn’t it? (Checked: it’s American)

May make no difference, but on the other hand it may make a difference to terminology, and it may include newfangled colours that didn’t get over here till later.

It lacks the old favourite “purple brown”, for instance.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think this is an American chart - note spelling of "color" and the listing of "barn paint". However, looking quickly in Montague's Gloucester RC&W Co. book, that company's photo boards say "lead color" - which does appear to cover a range of apparent darknesses.

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That colour card is non-British isn’t it?

May make no difference, but on the other hand it may.

The need for shingle stain suggested non-UK; as Annie posted it, I wondered if it was from New Zealand

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Interesting to see "Lead" as a darker grey than "Dark Grey".  I presume that "Lead", whether or not at this stage actually made like traditional lead colour paint, represents the same colour.  Guy mentions modern interpretations being lighter; could this be due to the modern colour taking its cue from the collour of lead roofing rather than Victorian lead paint?

Of course, if it's in reference to lead roofing and flashing, one has to ask how old is the lead and what chemical filth has it lain in. I having in my workshop an off-cut of lead sheet, wagons for the weighting of, and it's weathered to a shade that's a little lighter than the "lead grey" on the paint chart. When I heaved and cursed its parent sheet into flashing, about four years ago, it was much lighter. That's in modern, sulpher-free air. Now consider the alleged corrosion and darkening of carriage roofs in historical, sulpherous smog.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Probably based on the more expensive Zinc based pigments rather than white Lead - which as we have discussed many time rapidly became lead grey though atmospheric pollution.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The artist was daydreaming about his next roast chicken dinner.

1193861494_HuntleyPalmers.jpg.826a3ea790d5246ae26787f49c6b5715.jpg

Now, having loosened the ribbons I am struggling with the problem of catching the crumbs without compromising my modesty. 

I also see that Rupert is now trying his luck in the station tea room. 

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Hroth said:

I "believe" that the clanking anecdote was attributed to the period in the mid-1920s when exchange trials between the LNER and GWR revealed the optical alignment of  the locomotive chassis and finer tolerances of GWR engineering, which meant that the Castles performed like the legendary sewing machine whilst in comparison the A1s were relatively sloppy and noisy.  Gresley then started using similar optical alignment systems and mechanical tolerances to bring the standard of the LNER front line locomotives up to scratch.

Another problem was that Gresley used Nickel Steel for the connecting rods, which used to resonate and add to the noise...

Clanking in BR days would be due to poor maintenance.

Back home years ago, we lived in Mannamead close by the GW main line between North Road and Laira shed and many nights as I lay tucked up in bed, I would hear what I believed to be lone Panniers clanking their way home to Laira, especially in Summer with the windows open.  The only clue I have is that I have is when seen in daylight they still clanked!  A very evocative sound  especially to the very young spotter.:cray_mini:

The 'fings' we remember!

Brian.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I

I think Shapeways were as surprised as anyone that the model sector took off like it did!

The name Shapeways is more akin to a women's underwear brand than something to do with model trains!:biggrin_mini:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The need for shingle stain suggested non-UK; as Annie posted it, I wondered if it was from New Zealand

The chart came from an Australian member of our creator group and I think he got the chart from a retired painter.  

• Informative/Useful 2

The brand name 'Coverall' seems to be associated with the US company Montgomery Ward, and there are a few similar cards on-line, but best is this invitation to paint your house like a fairground attraction.

Our house is timber-clad and it cost me a heck of a lot more than these prices for the paint, and the hire of a cherry picker lift (the hydraulic pump of which failed and made a giant oil-patch on the path outside) etc etc.

1917 Montgomery Ward || Coverall Paint

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If anyone in NZ spelt colour as 'color' they would be deported. Equally bad is 'barn' for 'shed'. Foreign indeed.

Whatever happened to standards?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

For a long time we had 3850 and ex S&D 88 on opposing turns on the West Somerset. 3850 motion was more like  sewing machine while 88 could be heard clanking a mile away. The other 7F on the WSR seems to clank  too. It didn't affect the performance both coped equally well but the clank of the 7F was quite noticeable.

Don

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jwealleans said:

There's a great deal of weight attached to this story about optical alignment.  It was after Nationalisation when someone (apologies to him, I forget his name) moved to Doncaster from Swindon and introduced the use of optical alignment instruments when setting up frames and re-erecting engines.

That will be K.G. Cook - There is some fascinating reading about him here in the Steam Index.

i have always had an attraction to the old railway engineering departments and their distinct Company traditions.

I especially loved  the drawing offices - having worked in one for a couple of years  just before Beeching arrived. The whole lot - including their amazing drawing records and wonderful mahogany and brass draughting instruments got blown away - and the railway turned to Consultants . 

I used to know a spirited old lady  (I have posted about her before), who worked as a tracer at the Plant for Bert Spencer right the end of the war. A real 'Looker", her board was obviously a honey-pot for  senior engineers to 'just happen' to run across one another and weigh the pros and cons of details. 

She missed nothing during the period from Thompson's retirement and Pepperorn's accession.  

At the gathering of A4s at Shildon a few years, she talked me round the differing details of apparently the same engines, and the personal stories behind them. We'd attracted quite a crowd by the end!

dh

Edited by runs as required
after midnight fatfinger
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, robmcg said:

If anyone in NZ spelt colour as 'color' they would be deported. Equally bad is 'barn' for 'shed'. Foreign indeed.

Whatever happened to standards?

Yes we'll have none of that kind of nonsense here thank you very much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3