Given reference in recent posts of the SECR, it must be coincidence that yesterday I was looking at an advertisement for a Hornby 00 SECR Terrier, which I thought a rather lovely example of modern RTR paintwork. 

I am aware that there are or were some shortcomings in details in these models and dimly recall Edwardian pointing some out in relevant threads, which I cannot now find.

Could I please ask if a concise assessment of these Hornby and other models might be offered, or a link to same?  I don't normally buy models of small engines but to admire RTR craftsmanship, if such a thing can be thought of as a craft or art. 

751_SECR_terrier_Image1abcde_r1800.jpg.a2a4988a0383312ab6e511c4276a07a6.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

not everyone wants to go that far down the coast

That's The Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells!

A long time ago (OK, not 1905-long-ago, I admit) I bought a bed in that shop on the right, so you can't fool me.

One thing to consider is that here the LBSCR and SECR both called their station simply 'Tunbridge Wells', neither admitting of the existence of the other, and I wonder whether the same might have applied at Blackstone. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Annie said:

Yes it's been a very odd ANZAC day here.  Normally here in the small rural town where I live there would have been a dawn parade to the war memorial on the hill overlooking the town.  Something that would have been repeated in small towns up and down the length of New Zealand with much larger parades and ceremonies in the main centres.

Here it was thinking of all the closed pubs yesterday afternoon. Usually by lunchtime ANZAC day transforms from sombre reflection and commemoration  into celebrating what the ANZAC spirit is renowned for besides refusing to salute pommy officers  - , drinking heaps and playing two up.

Its the one day of the year when two up ( a two coin toss game) is legal and every pub beer garden has a crowd of drunk people shouting at coins.

twoup.jpg.3219ccd54fe8ae14805112e001037167.jpg

twoup2.jpg.aebf301df10d0d1ee4fdad7465966f65.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That's The Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells!

A long time ago (OK, not 1905-long-ago, I admit) I bought a bed in that shop on the right, so you can't fool me.

One thing to consider is that here the LBSCR and SECR both called their station simply 'Tunbridge Wells', neither admitting of the existence of the other, and I wonder whether the same might have applied at Blackstone. 

Pre-1923 then yes, but as I am modelling 1939 it is 'Blackstone West'.

2 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Well... Yes, technically, it's the Pantiles, but really, it's Regent's Row in the 'new' part of Blackstone Old Town, where the town expanded toward the new Arcadia Quarter in the mid-19thC. ;) 

We'll believe you - Thousands wouldn't.

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Pretty much exactly the same, although only very eccentric people dress like that nowadays.

Really?! Actually I'm not quite that eccentric though I can probably suggest someone of this parish wh...

2 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

*Hangs up the swan-silhouette corset and Edwardian walking dress* I don't know what you mean... 

Point proven! :P

I say I'm not that eccentric but that's partially down to lack of readily available material rather than conscious decision so I have to hover generically mid-20th Century when it comes to clothing. Also I'm not convinced when it comes to boaters...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, robmcg said:

Given reference in recent posts of the SECR, it must be coincidence that yesterday I was looking at an advertisement for a Hornby 00 SECR Terrier, which I thought a rather lovely example of modern RTR paintwork. 

I am aware that there are or were some shortcomings in details in these models and dimly recall Edwardian pointing some out in relevant threads, which I cannot now find.

Could I please ask if a concise assessment of these Hornby and other models might be offered, or a link to same?  I don't normally buy models of small engines but to admire RTR craftsmanship, if such a thing can be thought of as a craft or art. 

I'm not sure that doesn't count as trolling, where our host is concerned.

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

I couldn't possibly comment 

751_SECR_terrier_Image1abcde_r1800.jpg.a2a4988a0383312ab6e511c4276a07a6.jpg.1d2632181a80341c1cdfe1137d9c8d74.jpg

I might point out, though, that the Rails-Dapol version of No.751 should be with us soon.

Rails-Dapol pre-production first livery sample (a number of changes have since been made): 

2046972279_IMG_0591-Copy.JPG.01b0f787561577d0c208310c346a7b8d.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That Bennett photo looks like Purley, with the SER loco shed, latterly the BR(S) muniments store, on the right, but I’m mystified by those ghostly peak above the shed.

Or, is it the carriage painting shop at Brighton, with the Cliftonville Curve joining in the foreground???

I gave the book away, so can’t check.

15 hours ago, Dave Searle said:

It's the Cliftonville Spur on the right.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave's right. Looking Down (South) from Preston Park with the Cliftonville Spur (to Hove, actually) on the right. The building is actually the Pullman Car Company's works, not the carriage painting shop. That's a bit nearer to Brighton. On electrification in 1933 it became Lovers' Walk Inspection Shed. It still is.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, brianusa said:

So what does this charming spot look like these days? Pre corvid!

Brian.

When you say 'pre corvid', are you referring to 'covid' as in 'covid-19' ?

I hope you are not casting aspersions on those bonny big birds who have been entertaining me by finding new ways to get food out of feeders designed for much smaller birds ?

One particular magpie has provided a splendid demonstration of hanging upside down while pecking from suet balls. Must be very demanding on the toes!

Mind you, a big crow was observed this morning knocking down a feeder and attempting to fly off with the whole thing.

Floreat corvidae, that's what I say.

(Should also point out that I can observe this avian activity from my railway room, where a model of an NER CD design signal cabin is in course of construction .)

• Like 6

12 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

*Hangs up the swan-silhouette corset and Edwardian walking dress* I don't know what you mean... 

Everyday a school day here on Castle Aching ....

378296127_Coronet_Corset_Co1900.gif.01cbf6f2727fcb6c02b0942abc6aea73.gif

According to La Wiki:

The straight-front corset, also known as the swan-bill corset, the S-bend corset or the health corset, was worn from circa 1900 to the early 1910s. Its name is derived from the very rigid, straight busk inserted in the center front of the corset. This corset forced the torso forward and made the hips jut out in back.

The straight-front, corset was popularized by Inès Gaches-Sarraute, a corsetiere with a degree in medicine. It was intended to be less injurious to wearers' health than other corsets in that it exerted less pressure on the stomach area. However, any benefits to the stomach were more than counterbalanced by injury caused to the back due to the unnatural posture that it forced upon its wearer. At this time, the bust lowered and corsets provided much less support for the breasts.

By ca. 1908 corsets began to fall from favor [sic] as the silhouette changed to a higher waistline and more naturalistic form. 

Bustles, beards and S-bends; clearly this is the place for the fashion-conscious pre-Grouper!

s-bend-clothed.jpg.c8e703437f7b506fbddb345c2e8515cf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

This is pertinent, since I've just primed a batch of Stadden's Edwardians - some rather middle class types to begin with. Clearly I did the right thing in not taking a needle file to the ladies' waists before doing so.

Now: colour. This is an area where I think one should avoid being influenced too much by fashion plates, which hardly depict everyday middle class attire. Even today, the majority of outdoor wear one sees is in subdued hues - greys, browns, and blues with the odd spot of beige. The impression one gets from period photos is that things were the same then, and even more so. The most frequent exception does seem to be ladies' blouses - so what range of colours would be realistic? Or are we looking a white?

The last 30 s or so of my favourite 1897 film illustrate this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

try the sunny south

1379933427-2534-54.jpg

the town Kent bypast  and all the better for it as a stranger to the town only been here 30 years

Nick

Didn't expect The Art of The Deal in this thread....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2