1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Stabilisers. Always the problem with monorails - they inevitably end up being trirails.

I think it is much less of a problem with underslung ones. You just need extra legs to hold the rail up!

I cannot see any great advantage in using them on ground level lines. The space needed to get wagons or carriages through  is wide enough for two rails.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

However imagine the problems once you turned the gyros off. Someone yelling out to the foreman "Get the big crane - the engine's fallen over again!!!"

I think brennan had calculated how long the gyroscope would keep spinning after power was cut off, cant remember the reference but I want to say that the car would stay upright for 12 hours or something daft. More than long enough to find a couple of props and wedge it in any case.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

In model railway terms I understood how we went from Trix Twin and HD 3 rail to two rail but I'm not clear how we would arrange electical pick-up.  I think the model in the video is a bit of a cheat as it's using dry cells for power.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Adam88 said:

In model railway terms I understood how we went from Trix Twin and HD 3 rail to two rail but I'm not clear how we would arrange electical pick-up.  I think the model in the video is a bit of a cheat as it's using dry cells for power.

So by analogy, those Hornby live steam locos are also a cheat, rather than the engineering marvel I always took them for.

• Like 1

Well unless you are modelling SR electrics powered from the third rail or Overhead powered electrics using electricity is a cheat. Most of my Live STeam models are also a bit of a cheat as they use Butane but there is the coal fired one to complete.  The Late Clary Edwards built beautiful live steam 0 gauge models if the prototype had three cylinders thats what he built. His Spam can had the chain drive  just like the original. 

However these are not so ideal for indoor scenic lines so we use elecricity.

There is increasing use of Battery power for 0 gauge models is perhaps closer to the full size steam or diesel which also carry their own power supply. The use of radio control is a bit of a cheat but minature working drivers are rather lacking. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

“Interest was such that children's clockwork monorail toys, single-wheeled and gyro-stabilised, were produced in England and Germany.”

I guess the thing to do is charge the gyro by the usual method of string, then use clockwork for propulsion along the track.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ages since the Parish Council actually discussed Castle Aching, so I thought I’d better check that it’s still there.

It is.

View from the front of the village hall this afternoon.

53BE3D08-9A8A-41EF-B722-D1B8A7EB03BB.jpeg.efe827b6cac8dd5616f29f6582bb590b.jpeg

Plus a view of part of the priory, from the WNR “Guide to Attractions”.

8720BC6E-8713-48FD-825F-3EF22D3129F4.jpeg.cc8f5b761774b27a29a234d9b22717a4.jpeg

It’s apparent that West Norfolk’s tourist trade is suffering badly as a result of the now-over (for how long, dare we wonder?) travel restrictions. The posh tea rooms in CA are up for sale, and so is the equivalent at Dersingham.

• Like 14
21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ages since the Parish Council actually discussed Castle Aching, so I thought I’d better check that it’s still there.

I suspect members are in voluntary lock down although I heard Mr Mayor was diverted looking for fishplates  one wonders if to match middle class fish knives and forks  :jester:

Nick B

• Funny 7

Well, I'm back.

1622302840_TheHappyReturn.jpg.424057ac9906d9cee9855275564f4619.jpg

My first post-lock-down visit to the Aged Ps was by way of a quick dash. I returned with the Offspring for an extended visit. I enjoyed trudging over my native heath, but am now back home and have hopes for some modelling this weekend.

Hope you have all been keeping well. 

I must order some fishplates for the NG line!

What I have bought instead are a couple of stout volumes on the Victorian Navy in an effort to make some inroads in another field of ignorance for me.

HMS_Aurora_Symonds_and_Co_Collection_Q20982.jpg.247f275ca33b68a50e9a723c4259ce20.jpg

• Like 17
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

What I have bought instead are a couple of stout volumes on the Victorian Navy in an effort to make some inroads in another field of ignorance for me.

HMS_Aurora_Symonds_and_Co_Collection_Q20982.jpg.247f275ca33b68a50e9a723c4259ce20.jpg

Excellent!

Could you tell us what the volumes are?

In parts of my past I have had reassuring contact with Brassey's Naval Annual, but  that didn't contain pictures of the quality you have posted

All will be well with your cruiser, until Coronel and the Broad 14s

• Like 3
8 hours ago, drmditch said:

Excellent!

Could you tell us what the volumes are?

In parts of my past I have had reassuring contact with Brassey's Naval Annual, but  that didn't contain pictures of the quality you have posted

All will be well with your cruiser, until Coronel and the Broad 14s

The Friedman volumes on Victorian Cruisers and Victorian Battleships.  I have long had my eye on them, but when a leaflet came through the post from Pen & Sword announcing a sale, which included these volumes, I realised that this was the moment to purchase them.

14989.jpg.9ba8e33d82a8fc81bcacad1133374d98.jpg51-cgxwl3TL._SX260_.jpg.96ac387b19ad92a0052816d64fb94cde.jpg

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I’ve got a great affection for the small fry after reading Kipling:

BE961456-AA4F-4CBD-B95D-170FAACB687F.jpeg.6e61c33e2d0e5ca0d6d4daae1887fed0.jpeg

http://www.telelib.com/authors/K/KiplingRudyard/prose/TrafficsDiscoveries/lawful_p1.html

Me too. 

A volume on British Victorian torpedo boats, torpedo rams, torpedo gunships, torpedo 'catchers/destroyers', gunships, 'scouts', river gunboats and other vessels smaller than frigate/corvette/sloop/cruiser/armoured cruiser covered in the volume I've just bought. 

• Like 2
On 20/07/2020 at 15:51, Edwardian said:

Glad to hear it

I always thought that, if you had room, a display plank would be good using that excellent station kit you once found; Purple Bob (wish the range was available in 4mil, too).

Now, quick question please:

Does anyone know the standard or typical dimensions for a Victorian-Edwardian railway poster or railway notice board? 

94771905_WNRPoster-Copy-Copy.jpg.e5d998bf57d1eecd0021c4a910c27c39.jpg

My brain works best in inches, or, of course, you might have some 4mil examples to hand.

Lord Craig says that if you will place one of his posters at Castle Aching he will place one of yours at Craig.

50170203561_b71fa44296_c.jpgCraig Castle Poster by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 7
59 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Lord Craig says that if you will place one of his posters at Castle Aching he will place one at Craig.

50170203561_b71fa44296_c.jpgCraig Castle Poster by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Oh, very good, and how very kind.

Craig was a great influence on me via my father's '50s RMs, so I'd be greatly honoured.  I will find space on the NG test track for the Craig poster.

When Castle Aching has a station, I shall be most proud to place one there, too. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Me too. 

A volume on British Victorian torpedo boats, torpedo rams, torpedo gunships, torpedo 'catchers/destroyers', gunships, 'scouts', river gunboats and other vessels smaller than frigate/corvette/sloop/cruiser/armoured cruiser covered in the volume I've just bought. 

Does it list the ironclad torpedo ram "HMS Thunder Child"?

And, more to the point, given this interest in Victorian Naval Adventurism, is the WNR going to serve a small (yet perfectly formed) East Coast Naval Base, lost down the ever present fold in the map, or chart since we're talking about tarry seafolk?

:crazy:

Good to see you back at the helm. Things have been odd in these parts while you were absent on AP caring duty....

• Thanks 1

You know how it is at Christmas when relatives don't know what to give you; they usually pick a book.  Whether this book has any interest to its recipient is immaterial doesn't really matter, its a gift!  Once I received such a book, one of the usual coffee table tomes from Salamander, The Complete Encyclopedia of battleships from 1860 onward.  My closest relationship to the sea was my grandfather who served in the Royal Navy in both WW1 and 2, but getting further than page two discovered a most interesting book covering the hulks to the present RN as well as the foreign competition.  Lots of photos and coloured line drawing which are interesting in themselves and attractively presented.  Probably not too much for those who make a study of these ships and their times, but certainly a good starter publication for those who may have an interest.:excl:

Brian.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The Friedman volumes on Victorian Cruisers and Victorian Battleships.  I have long had my eye on them, but when a leaflet came through the post from Pen & Sword announcing a sale, which included these volumes, I realised that this was the moment to purchase them.

14989.jpg.9ba8e33d82a8fc81bcacad1133374d98.jpg51-cgxwl3TL._SX260_.jpg.96ac387b19ad92a0052816d64fb94cde.jpg

Interesting looking books, but at present well outside my price range, even on sale!

However, Amazon has the Cruisers book in Kindle format for a tenner or so, and the Destroyers book for 15 squid, so I might dip my toe in and sample the Kindle version of the  Cruisers (more interesting than the big boys!).  I'll report back on how well it has transferred as Kindleisation sometimes has issues...

Currently the Battleships volume is the same price on Amazon as at Pen&Sword, though without a Kindle version. :(