• RMweb Gold

Another good station bench for the connoisseur, too.

Ah, is that what you call it in “Royal” towns?

Where I’m from, we’d say it was a good bench for the @r5e!

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium

As for access for uncoupling in this 'er trainshed, how about making the roof hinge upwards? A friend has his do this, and it makes it so much easier to uncouple!

Andy G

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As for access for uncoupling in this 'er trainshed, how about making the roof hinge upwards? A friend has his do this, and it makes it so much easier to uncouple!

Andy G

But Castle Aching's shed will be of the run-through sort rather than terminal, so the engine will have come out the turntable end and be outdoors for uncoupling. It would be frowned upon for the engine to stand inside the shed.

• Like 2

But Castle Aching's shed will be of the run-through sort rather than terminal, so the engine will have come out the turntable end and be outdoors for uncoupling. It would be frowned upon for the engine to stand inside the shed.

Indeed, I just need to fine tune the length of open road between the train shed and the TT

I am not sure my rather hasty sketch of yesterday quite captured the thing properly.

Here is an attempt at an elevation that is at least dimensionally correct.

The top view is the platform elevation of my slightly modified Wateringbury.

Below, the same elevation with, from rear to front, the train shed, the engine shed, and the water tower superimposed upon it.

Hopefully my intentions will be fairly clear from these.

post-25673-0-91303900-1512639224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Back on water tanks, would not a nice rickety timber supporting structure be more appropriate than a rather grand edifice such as that shown several pages above (although i have to say that it is very attractive)? It would also have the advantage of being "see through" rather than providing a visual block - though devices to break up the view of the layout can be useful if correctly positioned. I have one or two examples in the back of my mind but cannot put a name to them at present. If I do I'll look for photos.

Jonathan

• Like 4

Back on water tanks, would not a nice rickety timber supporting structure be more appropriate than a rather grand edifice such as that shown several pages above (although i have to say that it is very attractive)? It would also have the advantage of being "see through" rather than providing a visual block - though devices to break up the view of the layout can be useful if correctly positioned. I have one or two examples in the back of my mind but cannot put a name to them at present. If I do I'll look for photos.

Jonathan

Yes, and a sound idea, though I don't see why, when constructing ornate station building, walls for the train shed and an engine shed should be constructed in carstone rag without similar provision being made for the water tank.

My intention was to 'smooth off' the board angles with a curved facia, which will create just enough depth to allow me to mount a stone water tower in front of the engine shed (though query now that will affect wires and switches coming to the front of the board). Based upon such examples as Piel, Alston and Langholm, that seems to be the right sort of place to put it.  If so, it will not represent a visual block, as the engine shed behind it is already doing that.  The only blocking that the tower will achieve is to prevent there being a further engine shed window, but there would have been no view through to the platform here in any case.

• Like 4

Of course, we will always have Ashburton...

The Castle Aching version (Post #4016, page 161, and courtesy of St Enodoc of this parish) is:

But we'll always have Morpeth

Here's looking at you Kid!

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Round up the usual suspects.

Given that one of them was Kevin Spacey (delivering a superb performance), that has a different interpretation nowadays…

What the Hell is a hill o' beans anyway?

I mean, who has hills of beans?

Not even the EU managed a 'bean mountain'.

It’s bean a mountain, now it’s just a hill. Edited by Regularity

"It’s bean a mountain, now it’s just a hill."

As the Americans say: It don't amount to a hill o' beans.

(Edit: Oh, made a twit of myself there, should have read the whole nine yards.)

Well, not to worry, we won't make a mountain out of a bean hill.

Here's a bid to haul CA back on topic.

The trainshed pages were interesting - they showed how your nineteen-naughties date for the WNR is really the balance point between the past and the future - between the soildly engineered cast iron and stone masonry rural railways and the 'Light Railway' that spread from Ireland into Britain (e.g. the LSW's Halwill Junction and S Devon minimal branchline expendiure - and the Leek & Manifold Valley LR)

I'd like to pitch to Lord Emsworth about a demonstration 15" gauge lightly laid estate line our syndicate would be prepared to lay as a demonstrator from the Castle Aching standard gauge WNR railhead around the CA estate - with temporary lightly laid track branches to arable fields as produce requires harvest.

We are convinced of this as a robust forward looking strategy for the new rural twentieth century Britain.

dh

PS

In bed the other night I glanced at two magazines: one with a picture of a 1903 GW 4-6-0, the other an article about a  Panhard Levassor brand new new in 1903 being fettled for the London Brighton Run.

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought in the film the hill became a mountain rather than vice versa.

Point taken about consistency of architecture and the proposed position of the tank. If you design it correctly then it could be a convenient resting place for a little glass of something while operating,

Perhaps I am being influenced too much by my current examination of the Bishop's Castle Railway which will probably be the prototype for the next club layout (the might have been Montgomery station in 7 mm/ft). Compared with the BCR, the line we are considering in this thread would have been filthy rich.

Jonathan

• Like 4

I thought in the film the hill became a mountain rather than vice versa.

At a recent meeting of our local Probus Club (Poor Old Boys, Unfit for Service) we had a talk entitled 'Secrets of the Film Casablanca' in which several interesting facts were revealed.  For example, the Dakota in the background of the final scene was a scaled down cardboard cut-out and the ground crew working around it were all midgets!

I'd like to pitch to Lord Emsworth about a demonstration 15" gauge lightly laid estate line our syndicate would be prepared to lay as a demonstrator from the Castle Aching standard gauge WNR railhead around the CA estate - with temporary lightly laid track branches to arable fields as produce requires harvest.

We are convinced of this as a robust forward looking strategy for the new rural twentieth century Britain.

To be properly up to date His Lordship requires to follow the example of Joseph Monteith of Carstairs house and install an electric tramway.

Jim (on behalf of Anderson and Munro, Electrical Engineers, 136 Bothwell Street, Glasgow.)

• Like 3

The trainshed pages were interesting - they showed how your nineteen-naughties date for the WNR is really the balance point between the past and the future - between the soildly engineered cast iron and stone masonry rural railways and the 'Light Railway' that spread from Ireland into Britain (e.g. the LSW's Halwill Junction and S Devon minimal branchline expendiure - and the Leek & Manifold Valley LR)

Now, I tagged this topic "Light Railway", for want of a better description, but, it did become a little grander as a result of 'research', and perhaps the West Norfolk is best seen simply as no different from any line built in the Mid Nineteenth Century by a small company between two local towns, like the Lynn & Hunstanton (eventually GE) or the Lynn & Fakenham (eventually M&GN), the difference being that, against the odds, the West Norfolk grew a bit and stayed independent.  

Engineered to the 'mainline' standards of the day, it was not unusual for such lines to feature fairly extensive facilities and ornate architecture in the early to mid century. I think you are correct about the change that took place, however - in certain parts, country railways could assume a more modest and utilitarian aspect in the 1870s, 1880s and 1890s, notwithstanding these were often built to mainline standards.  I suspect that this reflected both the fact that the railways built in that era often served more economically marginal areas, and the agricultural depression of the 1870s. 

dh

PS

In bed the other night I glanced at two magazines: one with a picture of a 1903 GW 4-6-0, the other an article about a  Panhard Levassor brand new new in 1903 being fettled for the London Brighton Run.

dh

Which brings us back to the Eaton Hall Railway.

As in:

Amanda:        Whose 15 inch gauge steam engine with Brown/Heywood valve gear is that?

Elyot:             The Duke of Westminster's I expect.  It always is.

But, where will my Peckett run if we go 15" gauge?!?

post-25673-0-70735700-1512657262_thumb.png

post-25673-0-03332100-1512657623_thumb.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 11

Given what’s in the news, maybe we need to think about American perspectives on mounts of olives, rather than hills of beans.

Smoothing away the difficulties in international diplomacy with the deft touch of a bulldozer.

Bless.

• RMweb Premium

dh

PS

dh

"Nineteen-naughties"?

Ah, memories...