• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

A rusticated Metro, how lovely! Except...I hear these London engines have bought up all the shed roads and the locals can't get parked of a night. And they keep whining for a better grade of coal.

I do like C Hamilton Ellis paintings, and haven’t seen this one before. Sorry to say it isn’t a “Metro” , having outside frames throughout, but the unique No1, subject of a J N Maskelyne drawing and monograph in the MRN. CHE has committed a blooper, in that it was rebuilt with a Belpaire firebox before the coaching stock lake livery was introduced, and the other oddity is the scene looks very much like its set in the Wylye Valley, with a train going from Salisbury to Westbury, and after the Belpaire rebuild No. 1 was shedded at Chester. Still head up the hill south from Wylye and over the downs for six miles and you get to Teffont crossing, on the LSWR main line, and scene of CHEs childhood, which is maybe why he’s picked that spot.

ps the winner of the war of Spanish succession was recently disinterred from the valley of the fallen?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

CHE has committed a blooper, in that it was rebuilt with a Belpaire firebox

IS that a Belpaire firebox?

The side excresence looks more like a toolbox, and the safety valve cover has a curved base.

As an aside, if shedded at Chester, where did it work?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The test track has crept forward ever so slightly, so i'll try to do better over the coming weekend, but mainly I've been engaged in research (unpaid!) for a certain retail commissioner.  Hoping that things will start to develop in an interesting way, but we'll see.  

As a consequence I'm temporarily trained-out, would you believe it, and have turned to Marlborough's campaigns for solace. 

Fear not, I'm sure I will be back to my bumptiously rail-obsessed self soon! 

In the meantime ....

924920317_GWR2-4-0No1byCHamiltonEllis.jpg.e133da995453455ea4bcb8de702e12c7.jpg

Those Hatton's generic coaches don't look so bad after all.

• Funny 2

Are we not getting Spanish wars mixed up?

Spanish Succession was way back in Baroque violin days: 1701 - 1714 resulting  in Duke of Marlborough being rewarded with the Battle of Blenheim Palace by Queen Anne

The Spanish Civil War resulted in Guernicca - a bombing rehearsal for the Nazis, the painting by Picasso, Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, the Anarchist Party and untold numbers of murdered Republicans.

Back in the days of BR Mk 1 corridors, I liked to walk through a train until I located carriage paintings in a compartment by Hamilton Ellis.

I also enjoyed the little white plastic plaques that labelled the source of the wood veneers used in the compartment panelling. These were quickly discontinued because they were being collected by school kids like top trumps cards.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

They’re at it all the time, them Spanish.

656F47CE-BEF3-451F-B318-28135DF7C395.jpeg.a1c6c7e1167b4c1e87b2b7883dc6beaa.jpeg

And that's the filmic adaptation of  CS Foresters "The Gun", set in the Penninsula War!

(Just looked it up on Wikipedia.  It was filmed as  "The Pride and the Passion", and was a pretty loose adaptation. As well as Sophia Loren, it also starred Cary Grant and Frank Sinatra. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pride_and_the_Passion )

Edited by Hroth
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Quod Erat Demundstrandum, as they say in Madrid.

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Demundstrandham? I thought that was on the West Norfolk coast?

Looking at the young Sophia, in front of that large canon, erat was more of a potential problem...

“I also enjoyed the little white plastic plaques that labelled the source of the wood veneers ......”

Some of those lasted a fair while - I used to look out for the myself.

Not something you’d do these days, is it? Put up notices to tell people which tropical forest that had taken millennia to grow to rich bio-diversity you were having chopped-down so that they didn’t have to look at varnished plywood.

Anyway, having possibly upset The Chairman of the PC by accidentally introducing the R word into conversation, this is by way of apology, and in high resolution, in case anyone wants to print it and pin a copy up over their layout.

1E56F2A5-0BBC-4572-8B73-C85E2CCFC4C0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have new neighbours next door we met for the first time last week-end. After a discussion about Durham archives where it turned out the mother-in-law had been an archivist until 1975, the year before we'd taken over our crumbling pile. She'd moved down to Wells, North Norfolk, where her daughter our neighbour was born and had grown up.

We were lent a huge brand new £50 tome on Holkham Hall the mother had just completed as Archivist. 

holkhm.jpg.83d17b74abe892d9c283f85cc0462dd7.jpg

Amidst a multitude of coloured pics it includes this fascinating little diagram map on the sources of the materials a century before the WNR was born.

{I have to confess High Baroque Vanbrugh at Blenheim or Seaton Delaval is far more to my liking than good taste bland Palladian on a vast scale)  

dh

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Northroader said:

They’re at it all the time, them Spanish.

656F47CE-BEF3-451F-B318-28135DF7C395.jpeg.a1c6c7e1167b4c1e87b2b7883dc6beaa.jpeg

'The Gun' was one of our reading tasks at school, and we then had to write an essay based on it. I wrote an account of one of the guerrilla's attacks but from the French commander's view. Didn't get very good marks. The film was a bit of a disappointment as the gun always seemed too large compared to the one in the book. Loren appealed though!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, runs as required said:

We have new neighbours next door we met for the first time last week-end. After a discussion about Durham archives where it turned out the mother-in-law had been an archivist until 1975, the year before we'd taken over our crumbling pile. She'd moved down to Wells, North Norfolk, where her daughter our neighbour was born and had grown up.

We were lent a huge brand new £50 tome on Holkham Hall the mother had just completed as Archivist. 

holkhm.jpg.83d17b74abe892d9c283f85cc0462dd7.jpg

Amidst a multitude of coloured pics it includes this fascinating little diagram map on the sources of the materials a century before the WNR was born.

{I have to confess High Baroque Vanbrugh at Blenheim or Seaton Delaval is far more to my liking than good taste bland Palladian on a vast scale)  

dh

I know the author. Her husband Rex and I were governors at the local High School together back in the '90s. Christine once showed a small group of us round the Holkham archive (up in the roof) and fascinating it was too. They recorded everything down to how many apples were eaten after a dinner. And yes, I do have a copy of the book...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've only read parts of immediate appeal to me - Like Chapter 14 "Overview the Village" and 15 "The draining of the Marshes" that are also beautifully illustrated using coloured images of contemporary hand drawn maps.

At about £52 there are 576 pp (so @ 5200 new pence: 9p a page) including Appendices (with a useful timeline), List of Notes by Chapter, ditto of archival Image references (though lacking helpful titles to identify), academic References and a good full Index. 

dh

Decimal point in the wrang place squire
  • Like 2