Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

I should have asked in the previous post Graham...

Is it possible for a brief description of your method / mixes / and under frames etc on this. I can obviously see the tins to the rear. I've gathered a few articles together lately, but have never weathered this heavily. 

I always wanted to dirty the Dapol Ferry Wagons but they are still spotless and I don't really want to start a new thread called "Weathering gone wrong - Rolling stock at discounted prices"

With thanks - Steve

• Like 1

I should have asked in the previous post Graham...

Is it possible for a brief description of your method / mixes / and under frames etc on this. I can obviously see the tins to the rear. I've gathered a few articles together lately, but have never weathered this heavily. 

I always wanted to dirty the Dapol Ferry Wagons but they are still spotless and I don't really want to start a new thread called "Weathering gone wrong - Rolling stock at discounted prices"

With thanks - Steve

Hi Steve,

In answer to your question i try to build up the weathering in layers.

Start off with one ( reasonably clean ) wagon.

post-6774-0-14941600-1538448278_thumb.jpg

Next coat the whole wagon in a dirty brown, I'm using Phoenix Track dirt. 

post-6774-0-33291800-1538448296_thumb.jpg

Once painted i use a cloth or kitchen towel to wipe off the majority of the paint, i also us a toothbrush to start adding streaks to the body side.

post-6774-0-47773300-1538448314_thumb.jpg

more paint added, this time using a cotton bud to pick out the data panels and warning signs.

post-6774-0-22111000-1538448329_thumb.jpg

now come the weathering powders, using various shades to pick out different details.

post-6774-0-75263200-1538448349_thumb.jpg

I'll repeat this process several times using different shades of brown or grey paint, also weathering powders to tone done the painted finish, once i'm happy with it i'll probably seal it up with a matt varnish.

Hope that helps 

Graham.

• Like 7

Hope that helps 

I'll say it does Graham....

Thank you, without even referring back to a photo your original weathered pic looked spot on. 

I had a good look around the net this afternoon, at that type in all sorts of conditions. Data panels wiped etc as you've shown. 

My "Brave" comment was made, because of the amount of paint i'd imagined must have been applied to begin with, to a pristine model. The above pics more than show that. 

Thanks again also for the effort / time to picture the job as a whole.

Really does look the part.

With Thanks - Steve

• Like 1

Thanks again also for the effort / time to picture the job as a whole.

Really does look the part.

With Thanks - Steve

My pleasure Steve, 

Always a bit nervy when i start to weather anything, plenty of pictures, good beer and some confidence goes a long way.

Still not brave enough to touch the Pendolinos though. 

Graham.

• Like 1

As an alternative I found the Humbrol weathering washes do an excellent job for this style of wagons when I was weathering my Dapol ferrywagons.

Cheers Jimmy, 

Never tried them but i'l look into it, I was going to use the airbrush on the IZA but going through pictures online there are no two panels that are the same. 

Graham. 

• RMweb Premium

I’ll have look tomorrow and see if I can fish them out of my storage box and show the results.

Edit: found an old photo with the wagons in the foreground

post-12984-0-78467200-1538520506_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Boco_D1
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I dug the wagons out for a better photo...

post-12984-0-96375500-1538599328_thumb.jpeg

This was using the various shades of humbrol wash, dust, sand, dark grey, white and black all based on prototype photos (except the batman embellishment that was my own work).

I will stop hijacking your thread now Graham.

Jimmy

• Like 7

So I have made a start on a layout based upon Sarum Town, only it is a twin track oval rather than merging into a single line. I should start a new thread for the layout, but I wanted to thank you Steve for all the inspiration. 

Now I have to figure out how to post photos... 

• Like 1

So I have made a start on a layout based upon Sarum Town, only it is a twin track oval rather than merging into a single line. I should start a new thread for the layout, but I wanted to thank you Steve for all the inspiration. 

Now I have to figure out how to post photos... 

Glad Sarum has inspired you to do something simiilar, I look forward to seeing your new layout.

Photos are not to bad, as long as you can compress there size beneath 1 MGB you'll be laughing.

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Had an enjoyable few hours tinkering with the layout today, little scenic work but mainly running trains.

An erratic Dapol 121 was on the bench to deal with, the chip in it must of been played around with before i bought it and it had two speeds, stop and 200mph.

Reset the chip and ran it for a while on a rolling road but when on the layout i found it still stuttering, I've added some weights using the ones removed from my new IZA's.

Glued them to the roof so there out of sight, now to add a few passengers and find the missing buffers, spot of weathering and she's good to go.

post-6774-0-10437100-1540165492_thumb.jpg

Graham

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Both my 153 and 156 are very erratic, I suspect it's something in the mechanism.

Assuming the 121 is the same design (it looks it) have you checked the springs on the bogies that are used for contact? I have seen some get mangled quite easily, which certainly won't help with contact.

• Like 1