Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.   Just back from another bumper Guildex.  A very enjoyable event it was too.  I enjoyed meeting friends of old and new, pity I did not catch all of you though.

Parliamentary Trains have some very nice and interesting coaches underway that will look very nice behind my model of LION.

I must have a bash at split axle pickup method al a carte Sandy Harper.

Lots of goodies to wet the appetite for the foreseeable future, can't be bad.

Thanks to all for another great event.

• Like 2

Hi all.  Doddy, the Wath Daisey was delivered in primer, so I have not seen her painted, as I so rarely do with my builds. Unless they are for my own collection.

It now onwards with the mogul after a couple of holidays and, of course, the Telford w/end.

As I mentioned previously, this is quite a challenge as it's an ex Malcolm Mitchell kit and no instruction sheets.

Here she is so far.

post-150-0-26689900-1441819454.jpg

• Like 10

The 43xx is progressing steadily. Tomorrow will see the f/box made up and the that will see the bulk of the loco built. Just the detailing to figure out.

It would be very useful to have a good photo of the sanding operating levers under the boiler, especially forward of the front splashers area. (A search of the web did not produce any that are of use.)

This is it so far.

post-150-0-48795700-1442001156.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work - Ken, it was good to see you at Telford, sorry that we didn't get chance for a longer chat - I had to concentrate on my driving!

Thanks dibateg,  it's always great to put faces to names.  I fully understand you were engrossed in your driving duties ( a very nice layout too).

This afternoon sees the main build completed.  The cab detailing and roof is the next biggest part of the build and then all the remaining detailing.

post-150-0-17846000-1442088638.jpg

• Like 4

Ken, I've been watching your 43xx builds with great interest as I'm a big fan of these, largely underrated, workhorses and have one in 7 1/4" gauge.  Because mine was incorrectly numbered (as 4320) I've been doing some research into the variations within the class and there are a lot more than one might, at first, think.

Am I correct in thinking that you intend finishing your model as 4321?    If so, I'm sorry to say, that your loco, as it stands, can only represent 5390 onwards.  The reason I say this is that from 5384 the thin large radius motion bracket above the footplate was replaced by the smaller radius type with reinforcing angle as on your model. From 5390 the long spasher over the vacuum pump was replaced by the normal type, again as shown in your model.  Less noticeable, also, is that the cab roof was 3 7/8" lower and 6" longer compared with 4321 - 5389.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being a 'smartass' but I know, from personal experience, how frustrating it is to finish a model and then find a glaring mistake which could have been easily rectified early in the build. 

Regards,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Hi Ray.  Thank you for taking the time to write the reply. You are right about the class being a minefield to build.  This particular build is a bit of a mishmash and came to be with just the Malcolm Mitchell etches for the loco, minus the all the castings, these were sourced from elsewhere .  The tender is made up of a Pilgrim Models, ageing majority of castings from my scrap box.  

I am using Swindon diagram M which, I think, covers 6342-69. Plus photos off the web.                                                              

Edited by jazz

I am using Swindon diagram M which, I think, covers 6342-69. Plus photos off the web.                                                              

Ah - that explains it!  Have you any idea why Swindon issued a separate diagram for this batch as I can't see where they differ from 5390 - 6341 in dia K? As you probably know 6342 - 6361 were built with inside steampipes and only some had them fitted later (from 1947).  Do you have a number/period in mind for your model.  I can check dates in David Andrews' 'Mogul Bible' if you haven't got one.

Cheers,

Ray.

Hi Ray.  This build is for a friend and I will not be responsible for numbering and painting the model. I will just be passing the details of the prototype I based the build on and his painter will sort that side of things.

I'm afraid I've no idea why a separate diagram would have been issued. I'm using the info and photos I have to hand in the J H Russell Pictorial History of Great Western Engines plus what is on the web.

But many thanks for the offer of help.  Regards, Ken

Edited by jazz

Hi John.  This next loco will take a tad longer I think.  The DJH 9F.   At least it has a plethora of photos of the build in it's progressive stages, which is a huge help over the mogul that had none.

We will see how it all goes.

Hi all. The 9F is now underway.  It appears to be a better kit the the last one I built, the LMS streamliner.  That was not a pleasant build at all.

Starting with the tender, all has gone together extremely well. The bending has be factory done and very accurate. I'm quite impressed, so far.

post-150-0-94606600-1442855910.jpg

• Like 5

I expect you will get through the build a lot quicker than I did Ken - I was doing 3 though!

Slowing down a bit now-a-days Tony I'm afraid.

I have the tender boxed off ready for the primer preparations.  Spent the afternoon running all the etches through the sonic cleaner. Makes the solder run so much better.

post-150-0-34595600-1443202865.jpg

post-150-0-04872600-1443202885.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Barry.  I use the James Ultra 8020 with their SeaClean2 liquid.

I use it to remove tarnish from kits that have been stored for a while and become tarnished. Also for a cleaning prior to priming.

www.jamesproducts.co.uk/jpe-gallery.aspx

• Like 1

Hi Barry.  I use the James Ultra 8020 with their SeaClean2 liquid.

I use it to remove tarnish from kits that have been stored for a while and become tarnished. Also for a cleaning prior to priming.

www.jamesproducts.co.uk/jpe-gallery.aspx

An ultrasonic cleaner to remove tarnish?  Interesting idea.  I have a (very) small one, I might have to try that when I build my next brass kit...

Mike