Odd place names?

pendlerail

• RMweb Premium

Derby South Junction was north of Derby, though there was a clear reason why it was thus named, as doubtless are all the other apparently "odd" names.

Would that be like Chinley North Junction, which is to the east of Chinley but at the north corner of a triangle?

• RMweb Gold

Didn't know there was a Hornby village in Bilsdale but there is certainly one in Lancashire, just northeast of Lancaster.

There is a Hawnby in Bilsdale. Hornby is further west, north of Northallerton.

• RMweb Premium

There is a Hawnby in Bilsdale. Hornby is further west, north of Northallerton.

There's also a Hornby in Lancashire. It once had a station on the now-gone part of the Little North Western.

Cardiff Bute Road was actually in Bute Street, there is no Bute Road in Cardiff.

Cardiff Queen Street is not in Queen St. but Station Terrace, and the bridge at the north end crosses Newport Road, not Queen Street.

Brian R

PS

How far are we taking this ?

On the platform at the first station towards Sutton Coldfield from New Street the signs read "Duddeston" and the fluorescent lamp diffusers said "Vauxhall".  Or was it the other way round?

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I admit to having supped in the Bo-Peep Tavern, but not visited the box, sadly. Being Home Station Dartford, when I was a relief SM I never worked in the area south of Tonbridge. Ramsgate, Margate and Stewarts Lane, yes, but never that Sussex coast.

As for compass directions, the Brighton was good at those, how about West Worthing East or East Grinstead West? 

Concur about Hamilton Ellis and Farmer Poupart, his jam apparently being fairly tasty. 

• RMweb Gold

On the platform at the first station towards Sutton Coldfield from New Street the signs read "Duddeston" and the fluorescent lamp diffusers said "Vauxhall".  Or was it the other way round?

A station with an oft forgotten place in history. Vauxhall was the first railway station in Birmingham, opened by the Grand Junction Railway in 1837. Following the opening of the permanent GJR station at Curzon St in 1839 it became a goods only station until rebuilt a bit to the north at Duddeston Mill Road bridge by the LNWR in 1869. It was renamed Vauxhall and Duddeston in 1899. The fluorescent lights were put up around the time of electrification, in the early 1960s it still had gas lamps. At that time many stations around Birmingham had the "and ...." taken off their names so the lamps just had Vauxhall on them. Around 1974 many of the names were changed again as the stations were closer to the second named place (Knowle & Dorridge first became Knowle, two miles away, although it was in Dorridge) or in the case of Vauxhall the station was in Duddeston, the Vauxhall having come from pleasure grounds at Vauxhall Gardens, which closed in 1850. These were roughly where the old wagon shops was situated next to the station.

• RMweb Premium

If you are talking Birmingham, New Street Station isn't in New Street.

It's bounded on the north and south by Stephenson Street and Station Street, both presumably named for the station!

However Navigation Street which runs off Stephenson Street across the western part of the station throat pre existed the railway and is named for the canal which arrived in 1769.

Birmingham Navigation Street Station anybody?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If you are talking Birmingham, New Street Station isn't in New Street.

It's bounded on the north and south by Stephenson Street and Station Street, both presumably named for the station!

However Navigation Street which runs off Stephenson Street across the western part of the station throat pre existed the railway and is named for the canal which arrived in 1769.

Birmingham Navigation Street Station anybody?

Keith

There was an early proposal for the Stour Valley platforms to be called Navigation Street station, although the entrance, which I remember still being partly visible, was actually in Pinfold Street.

• RMweb Premium

In Canada, the CPR had a station called Hornby and there is still a Hornby village, just west of Trafalgar Road.

I have the station name board from Flower station. The area around it was called Flower Station, sparsely populated. Flower was the name of one of the directors of the Kingston and Pembroke Rly.

• RMweb Premium

There was an early proposal for the Stour Valley platforms to be called Navigation Street station, although the entrance, which I remember still being partly visible, was actually in Pinfold Street.

Another proposal was "Grand Central" which has re-surfaced as the new name for the shopping centre.

Keith

Manchester Exchange wasn't in Manchester - it was in Salford. Bit like the Racecourse and the Docks, and indeed Manchester United, which is in Trafford. The original Manchester Airport (Barton) was also outside the city boundaries by some miles. 

I was always puzzled by Glossop Central, as there was never a competing station in Glossop. But at one time Dinting was known as Glossop and Dinting - and I think there were other variations on this theme.

Radcliffe (Black Lane) was on Ainsworth Road. (Though I fancy Ainsworth Road may have been Black Lane at some era.)

• RMweb Gold

Canterbury East is almost due south of Canterbury West - it might even be slightly west of Canterbury West - but Canterbury North and South would make more sense both in relation to each other and to the city itself.

• RMweb Gold

I was always puzzled by Glossop Central, as there was never a competing station in Glossop. But at one time Dinting was known as Glossop and Dinting - and I think there were other variations on this theme.

The first Glossop station was a temporary station at the Mottram end of Dinting Arches. When the Glossop line was built the station was moved to the eastern end of the viaduct and referred to as Glossop Junction. The permanent station was later renamed Dinting. I don't think Glossop became Glossop Central until fairly late in the tenure of the GCR, perhaps a last stand against Grouping? The name reverted to Glossop in the 1970s

Archived