Murphy's Models 'Air Cons' (Mk2d/e) - BR Versions.

jonathan452

http://www.rmweb.co....y/page__st__250

Posted 06 March 2010 - 20:09

Perhaps we need to start a new Mk2 coaching stock thread, as we're rather going off-topic from the original title...........

Peter

Just checked through the 'Smaller Suppliers' area on the website.

There doesn't yet seem to be a thread for the forthcoming Murphy's Models air cons so I thought I would set one up (to avoid this subject area being mentioned endlessly on the Bachmann thread).

Presently there is nothing to add to what I and other contrubuters have already noted, however I'm sure this will change over the coming months (especially now that Bachmann's 2010 programme has been revealed).

I trust that the moderators are content with this.

• 4 months later...

After a conversation with a friend yesterday evening I ambled over to Hattons site to see the Murphy's Models mk2 product. Wasn't quite sure he had the asking price right, but it was indeed as he expressed it, 'ouch!'. Presumably this reflects a relatively low volume production run, over which the tooling costs have to be recovered. And I fully appreciate that they would likely cost more to build and finish from kits (if such are available), and all but the most skilled would be pushed to match the finish of the factory produced item, so they offer value for money.

There's a threesome offered for a rather more tempting price per item..

After a conversation with a friend yesterday evening I ambled over to Hattons site to see the Murphy's Models mk2 product. Wasn't quite sure he had the asking price right, but it was indeed as he expressed it, 'ouch!'. Presumably this reflects a relatively low volume production run, over which the tooling costs have to be recovered. And I fully appreciate that they would likely cost more to build and finish from kits (if such are available), and all but the most skilled would be pushed to match the finish of the factory produced item, so they offer value for money.

There's a threesome offered for a rather more tempting price per item..

Just been on the Hattons site, and Murphy aren't even listed on the 'forthcoming items' page.

A search for Murphy only produces class 141/181 and Cravens.

Could you post a link to the page please?

Just been on the Hattons site, and Murphy aren't even listed on the 'forthcoming items' page.

A search for Murphy only produces class 141/181 and Cravens.

Could you post a link to the page please?

This might suggest that Hattons have already 'sold out' on pre-orders, as they remove items from their website as they go out of stock.

If this is the case, it is yet more evidence that a 'proper' batch quantity would be an asset!

Just a thought - have you looked at the Hattons 'about to sell out' listing? When the stock gets down to the last two, then the final one, they appear here in alphabetical order of manufacturer. (Probably a well-known fact, but worth repeating.)

Richard

Presently there is nothing to add to what I and other contrubuters have already noted,

Any chance of a run-down of what those notes from other contributors might consist of, or do we have to troll through the 13 page thread on another subject entirely to try and work it out?

Nice to see some replies (at last!) to my original post on this thread.

Also with reference to http://www.rmweb.co....production-run/ which I kick started the other week from the old site following Magic Monkeys recently uploaded picture.

For the reference of those who may have got their 'Air Cons' mixed up with the Cravens and the (Bachmann) early Mk2 RPSI green set you may wish to refer to http://www.murphymod...com/Inwork.html.

It is interesting to note that the editorials in the most recent editions of both 'Model Rail' (Model Rail 146) and 'Rail Express Modeller' (REX modeller 171 August 2010) have cried out for a new/retooled 'Air Con'.

In the 'Rail Express Modeller' one (Gareths first editorial on where are the coaches!) it mentions the word 'synergy' with respect of producing BR versions (applicable to the TSO, FO).

Are there any further hints or suggestions on this from any quarters please.

Hi here is the details of the Mk2 d's

Murphy Models have announced details of the first batch of MkIID coaches in Irish Rail livery and we have added these to our website for pre-ordering. The production batches of these coaches has been drastically reduced in quantity compared to the Cravens coaches and as a result these are likely to become scarce very quickly. See further details by clicking on the picture.

MM5401 Murphy Models MkIID Restaurant Coach £41.95.

MM5407 Murphy Models MkIID Restaurant Coach £41.95.

MM5411 Murphy Models MkIID Restaurant Coach £41.95.

This is take from a supplier in Cornwalls email.

Hope they make them in BR blue and inter-city, Maybe Bachmann will do them as a general release.

Gary

Murphy Models have announced details of the first batch of MkIID coaches in Irish Rail livery and we have added these to our website for pre-ordering. The production batches of these coaches has been drastically reduced in quantity compared to the Cravens coaches and as a result these are likely to become scarce very quickly. See further details by clicking on the picture.

Hope they make them in BR blue and inter-city, Maybe Bachmann will do them as a general release.

Gary

Check out Murphy's website:

Murphy models in the works page

Murphy models Mk2d super standard

Very interesting...

Gary

They are not being made by Bachmann.

Any chance of a run-down of what those notes from other contributors might consist of, or do we have to troll through the 13 page thread on another subject entirely to try and work it out?

Further to my last post you may also wish to refer to-:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3986-mk2-air-cons-rtr-in-4mm-scale/page__p__30099&?do=findComment&comment=30099 - Mk2 Air Cons RTR in 4mm scale... What was made, and by who?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Are the Irish Mk2D's riveted around the windows then? Also they have the same height door windows which is not the same as an English Mk2D?

Just thinking of the potential for Mainland stock

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Are the Irish Mk2D's riveted around the windows then? Also they have the same height door windows which is not the same as an English Mk2D?

Just thinking of the potential for Mainland stock

Cheers

Jim

To be honest Jim I am not too sure of the differences between the Irish and British Mark II's but I do know there are detail differences between them. Mind you, I do think the riveting around the windows looks a bit on the heavy side in the pics, I think I'd need to see one in the flesh. I'm sure a more learned person familiar to the prototypes would be able to confirm for you.

Mainland stock? All Irish Mark II's ran on the Irish mainland, not on any of our surrounding islands. wink.gif

Mainland stock? All Irish Mark II's ran on the Irish mainland, not on any of our surrounding islands. ;)

I'm sure some of them ran across Fota Island on the Cobh route ;)

Shots look good, here's the real thing. You can see the window riviting clearly enough

Mk2_colbert.JPG

Also they have the same height door windows which is not the same as an English Mk2D?

It was mentioned by someone on one of the previous air con threads that the Irish Rail versions were a hybrid of the British Rail Mk2d and Mk2e. This is supported by the fact that the Irish standard class vehicles have their toilet windows on diagonally opposite sides.

I also recall another observation that the later Mk2e's had the revised door window height (prior to this I thought it was just the Mk2f's).

Unless of course this has been done in anticipation of a British Rail Mk2e or Mk2f being produced sooner than later? (With interchangeable components for the air conditioning units, roof panels etc.)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the new coaches are coming on stream I thought I'd share some pics of the new EGV...

post-7114-071514300 1289663442_thumb.jpg

post-7114-009066400 1289663542_thumb.jpg

post-7114-087107900 1289663735_thumb.jpg

post-7114-075702400 1289663830_thumb.jpg

post-7114-084078800 1289663937_thumb.jpg

post-7114-057296200 1289664034_thumb.jpg

post-7114-034358800 1289664141_thumb.jpg

And finally, for BR modellers out there who may want to covert the other Murphy's Mark II's, posed next to a Vitrains 47 (complete with missing wiper, doh!)

post-7114-004337900 1289663639_thumb.jpg

post-7114-090375500 1289664244_thumb.jpg

Saw the catering vehicle on sale today (Tolworth Showtrain).

One observation which I had previously noted from the pictures the current 'Model Rail' is that the windows in the catering vehicle look rather short.

Therefore can someone please advise if the windows on the prototype versions are (were as now withdrawn) shorter than the firsts, seconds and composites?

Presumably we will have to wait for the models of latter variants to appear before coming to any conclusions.

Many thanks in advance for any other opinions on this matter.

One observation which I had previously noted from the pictures the current 'Model Rail' is that the windows in the catering vehicle look rather short.

Therefore can someone please advise if the windows on the prototype versions are (were as now withdrawn) shorter than the firsts, seconds and composites?

There are some errors on the models that have been released so far. The windows on the Restaurant are to close to the rain strip and therefore are positioned to high on the coach sides. I would agree that the windows do look a little squashed looking when compared to the prototype.

Also if you look at the pics of the EGV that 071 has posted in this topic you will see that the door hinges are missing on the doors on the side of the coach that does not have the air vents.

• RMweb Gold

Unless of course this has been done in anticipation of a British Rail Mk2e or Mk2f being produced sooner than later? (With interchangeable components for the air conditioning units, roof panels etc.)

Hi all,

In reference to the above.....

All I can say is 'Bring it on'!

High quality models fo BR coaches are the single largest gap in the market!

It's time we had a definative, current state of the production ability, model for these!

I mean - think of all the modelling we could get done - IF we had some models available.

B ring them on!

I could see the whole of my modelling budget for the next year going on coaches if they do become available!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

There are some errors on the models that have been released so far. The windows on the Restaurant are to close to the rain strip and therefore are positioned to high on the coach sides. I would agree that the windows do look a little squashed looking when compared to the prototype.

Also if you look at the pics of the EGV that 071 has posted in this topic you will see that the door hinges are missing on the doors on the side of the coach that does not have the air vents.

I cannot advise you on the restaurant car window size Richard but the looked ok to me when I saw them, it might of been the resizing of the pic in model rail but I have yet to pick up restaurant car myself as I am waiting for the black roof version.

You are correct in your other observations though, such as the window positioning on the restaurant car is too near the rainstrip, and looks plain wrong. I was also taken aback on the lack of hinges on one side of my EGV, very odd! Its a bit of a mixed bag so far, some lovely details in some areas, let down by others.

I dont think these will be the answer for the BR modellers search for a top class Mark II d/e/f tbh, especially at 50 euro a pop and requiring some surgery!

Archived