Hornby Mk2d TSO Blue/Grey, worth a production run?

jonathan452

(Continued from old site) http://www.rmweb.co....t=27383&start=0

I only bring this one up again because of magic_monkey09's photograph recently uploaded on-to this site http://www.rmweb.co....b636b61b42bbfae

It is not the Class 67 I'm interested in but the R4216 Mk2d Blue/Grey TSO lurking behind. I wonder how much this cost on E-bay?

(Is this a subtle tease?????unsure.gif)

As an additional run of Blue/Grey Mk3's has been added to Hornby's 2010 programme; I don't suppose there is any chance in the near future of the Mk2d's.

Or am I going to wait and see if Murphy's Models come up with the goods.

Yours ever so patient.

i got it for 33 quid on ebay, expensive i know but i got into a bidding war and got carried away :lol: however, i did also manage to win the first class version for 6.50 :O which was weird :lol:

I'd like to see a re-run myself but in the railroad range as the model is kind of old and not very detailed. A totally new version is really whats on everyones wishlist :lol:

i got it for 33 quid on ebay, expensive i know but i got into a bidding war and got carried away :lol: however, i did also manage to win the first class version for 6.50 :O which was weird :lol:

I'd like to see a re-run myself but in the railroad range as the model is kind of old and not very detailed. A totally new version is really whats on everyones wishlist :lol:

A totally new version would be great, but for my money these Mk2ds still look good even though the tooling is 30+ years old, they can live alongside modern products in a way that other stuff of a similar vintage can't (you couldn't even think of getting away with Lima Mk1s or Hornby 'shorty' Mk3s...)

I found a new, boxed one of these in my local model shop for a tenner. Needless to say I just about took the owner's arm off. It's been stripped and primed for another project now. I have a couple of models of this vintage from various stages resprayed into NR yellow and they don't look out of place behind a Bachmann 37, or next to more contemporary stock. Wish I could say the same for my two Lima Royal Mail full brakes...they have sentimental value so I won't be disposing of them, but they look so out of place next to the new TPOs and 47s etc.

If there's a perceived market for the old, less detailed, 1980's standard model, then Hornby may re-run it.

If there's a perceived market for a new, more accurate and detailed model, to modern standards, then Hornby may be tempted to do it (if not beaten to it by someone else).

Which would you prefer?

Choose wisely; another run of the old toy may mean that a new model will remain a distant dream.

Hi, I've got to admit they do need to rerun the Blue Grey livery, for a 30 year old coach, when painted up by the China Hornby factory it is a damn good paint job.

I've got 6 of the TSO's coming from a dealer, didn't pay as much as ebay prices, but saying that I got a 1st class & a 2nd class set of Ray Mansfield for £20.00 + p+p on ebay so chuffed on that one.

Some Inter City Exec livery ones would be nice as Mr Hornby ? and the MK2d Brake coaches painted up as well, get your finger out Margate......................

If there's a perceived market for the old, less detailed, 1980's standard model, then Hornby may re-run it.

If there's a perceived market for a new, more accurate and detailed model, to modern standards, then Hornby may be tempted to do it (if not beaten to it by someone else).

Which would you prefer?

Choose wisely; another run of the old toy may mean that a new model will remain a distant dream.

No question, I'd like to see some more hi-spec Mk2 coaches, ready to run or kit form. C's, D's, E's and F's need the treatment, doesn't matter who does them, as long as they get done. To this end, I've spent most of my weekend wondering how I might go about making a kit for them myself.

I really think there is a massive market for decent Mk2 coaches, Bachmann would sell more of the Z's and A's (And probably B's if they ever stretched to them) if there were more of the later type to run with. But the later E's and F's would prove the most popular. I think it's a case of wayne's world 2 here, make them and people will buy them...

Before anyone tells me, I'm aware of the southern pride kits, I'm just not interested in them.

Regards

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Could be hope after all, Below is taken from a shop in Cornwalls email.

Murphy Models have announced details of the first batch of MkIID coaches in Irish Rail livery and we have added these to our website for pre-ordering. The production batches of these coaches has been drastically reduced in quantity compared to the Cravens coaches and as a result these are likely to become scarce very quickly. See further details by clicking on the picture.

Could be hope after all, Below is taken from a shop in Cornwalls email.

Murphy Models have announced details of the first batch of MkIID coaches in Irish Rail livery and we have added these to our website for pre-ordering. The production batches of these coaches has been drastically reduced in quantity compared to the Cravens coaches and as a result these are likely to become scarce very quickly. See further details by clicking on the picture.

Check out Murphy's website:

Murphy models in the works page

Murphy models Mk2d super standard

Very interesting...

• 4 weeks later...

(Continued from old site) http://www.rmweb.co....t=27383&start=0

I only bring this one up again because of magic_monkey09's photograph recently uploaded on-to this sitehttp://www.rmweb.co....b636b61b42bbfae

It is not the Class 67 I'm interested in but the R4216 Mk2d Blue/Grey TSO lurking behind. I wonder how much this cost on E-bay?

(Is this a subtle tease?????unsure.gif)

As an additional run of Blue/Grey Mk3's has been added to Hornby's 2010 programme; I don't suppose there is any chance in the near future of the Mk2d's.

Or am I going to wait and see if Murphy's Models come up with the goods.

Yours ever so patient.

As you say, we need more TSOs. It's not just the lack of mk2d stock in B/G, it's the lack of mk2d seconds. All the ones I ever seem to find are all Firsts, I do have a TSO but most are FOs. I sold 3 First class coaches off as I had 4 FOs, one TSO and one Brake Second) Next plan is to make them all close coupled and kadee'd

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm still using my older Airfix ones and will continue to do so until someone produces new models from wholly new tooling. Hornby's rehash (this and one the previous releases) is better in some ways, but not sufficiently to justify the cost.

I have a "WR" rake, so use a Bachmann Mk2a BFK instead of a Mk2d BSO and an unbranded Blue GUV (or sometimes a B/G BG) on the other end.

Further to my last post you can clearly see the tinting to the windows on the previous R4216 releases. http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=10074

Of which I managed to obtain the last one in stock at Modelzone Holborn back in 2005.

Therefore it looks as if I will also be hanging on-to my Airfix TSO's (even though I was planning to replace and augment these) - pending a new model.

The latter must surely be on the cards after this years poll.

But I would still like to know why Hornby have changed the spec. Or another (Chinese) production oversight?

But no tinted glazing!

Therefore another great dissapointment from Hornby.

I was going to buy a shedload, not quite so sure now.

Not only are they not tinted, they look like goldfish bowls. I too will not be buying a load. The lack of decent close coupling is the nail in the coffin for me.

Not only are they not tinted, they look like goldfish bowls. I too will not be buying a load. The lack of decent close coupling is the nail in the coffin for me.

Heres hoping for Hattons to be swamped with them and flogged off cheap, so I can give a few the lazerglase treatment.

Thanks.

R4216C now in stock at Hattons.

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

But no tinted glazing!

Therefore another great dissapointment from Hornby.

I was going to buy a shedload, not quite so sure now.

Yes, I'm very curious as to whether this is a mistake/communication breakdown between the UK/China. Despite their age I've always been a fan of these Mk2ds, but part of the reason that they've always looked rights (or at least a darn sight better than any other 70s/80s vintage intercity coach) was the tinted windows. OK the tinting was a bit on the dark side but they look the part for a (relatively) cheap RTR coach.

However, with clear windows they look....well, awful. What was a certain purchase has now been downgraded to 'buy if cheap' - or at least cheap enough to fund £8 worth of Laserglaze per vehicle.

Incidentally, although they don't have close coupling mechanisms, I've found that by removing the Dapol/Hornby couplings and cutting the outer mountings off Bachmann narrow tension locks with the old style 3-hole mounting, the centre hole of the Bachmann coupling allows very close coupling but capability to traverse 2nd radius curves.

I've been told by a modelling friend that there is a tinted clingfilm style packing wrap or similar avaliable which when applied to the windows works as a tint from the inside. If you can get your hands on the stuff would be a cheap fix. I've pre-ordered a few, gutted they are not tinted, just means extra work. I'll be removing the couplings and fitting #16 Kadees, so the tension lock close coupling won't be an issue for me.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, interesting. I have 7 of these to pick up from The Hobby Shop Faversham, and was hoping that the windows would be tinted. Wakey wakey Hornby, I'd rather they spent the money on doing this properly and tinting the windows and added this to the cost, as I now have 112 windows to try and tint, to make them match my 30 year old Dapol ones. I do not have any of the Hornby versions of these so dont know if the windows are single pieces or a strip etc. Anyway, the post above is interesting. Rather than going down the laserglaze route, maybe automotive window tint could be cut and neatly appled to the outside of the windows, it is self adhesive, just depends on whether it can be cut neatly, maybe by making a template? May give it a whirl when i get them next week....

cheers

Matt

• RMweb Premium

We can but dream...........already sold out of the SO according to their website.

But Hattons are allowing you to pre-order, with an expected into stock date of 7 September. So more are clearly on the way.

Not that I shall - the lack of tinted windows is another good reason to stick with my current rake of Airfix ones.

For info, the 1st class coaches do have tinted windows.

Not according to the photos on the Hattons website they don't....the 1st class have a dark-coloured interior whereas the SOs have white interiors which accentuates the lack of tint though.

Archived