Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

The shed internals look really good, the weathering on the walls is looking just about right. Now you need filing cabinets, small workbenches and tools, etc, spread around the perifery of your shed walls.

Thanks Jinty,
Yes once the floor has been weathered that's one of the next aims! A friend contrasted the next bit as akin to fitting out a dolls house! She's probably not that wrong lol!

You might find some of those things here       http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/    alternatively, as Duncan models stuff tends to be dated a bit earlier than 70's - 80's, a good trawl around the Guild traders page will probably uncover quite a bit for you.

Cheers - I'll have a trawl through. I've a couple of ideas for making things, but was starting to wonder where the fine detail could be attained.

Great blog on your Telford visit by the way, great information and nice pictures, well done.

Thanks Jinty, glad you enjoyed it. The response to that has been quite unbelievable in terms of positive comments and the number of people that have viewed it ... Over 10,000 page views so far!! Didn't expect that!

Cheers
Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

I fitted out the interior of a Metcalfe goods shed office, with utilitarian furniture made from plasticard and microstrip. I made a counter top, desk, chair & stool, painted them all sort-of-varnished-mahogany. It was a thoroughly enjoyable way of killing a couple of winter evenings. I'd certainly not claim they were anything like "fine scale", but they did look good, until I put the roof on. Then, even with the carefully installed lighting, I discovered, it was all pretty much invisible!

I'm sure that in a shed, much more will be visible, so it'll be worth it.

I'll post a couple of pix when I can.

Best

Simon

I fitted out the interior of a Metcalfe goods shed office, with utilitarian furniture made from plasticard and microstrip. I made a counter top, desk, chair & stool, painted them all sort-of-varnished-mahogany. It was a thoroughly enjoyable way of killing a couple of winter evenings. I'd certainly not claim they were anything like "fine scale", but they did look good, until I put the roof on. Then, even with the carefully installed lighting, I discovered, it was all pretty much invisible!

I'm sure that in a shed, much more will be visible, so it'll be worth it.

I'll post a couple of pix when I can.

Best

Simon

Ooerr I didn't want to hear that, I have spent quite a few hours so far installing dado rails, picture rails and skirting boards and also 3 different colours in my station interior. Still at least I know it's there.

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that in a shed, much more will be visible

Hi Simon,

Yes there is that angle, but I'm looking to do photos and that so hopefully it will all show up in those!!

First movement on shed today, and also the electrician has been in and changed a fuse, so the depot lights now work too!!

Photos to follow....

Rich

I will be doing video as well using a GoPro camera on the front of a loco so the interior is as important as the exterior. In fact the interior is harder to get right in some ways as it's just walls out side.

Edited by two tone green

• RMweb Gold

Well I said photos were to follow :)

Spent a bit of time this afternoon making a bit more progressing - with the shed construction now complete, the next job was to wear the floor.  An artist's black paint was used, quite heavily watered down, and brush lightly across the grey foam board, before being wiped about with cotton wool and tissue, to create a oily, dirty floor, which seems to have worked in the main - one side left to do.

I've also had a trial fitting of the internal lights.  My original proposal was to put two lights on each of the five roof beams, but i've decided that would be too much.  Instead i'm doing to put two lights (one over each road) on the first, last and centre beams, which will given an even light.  The wiring is quite tidy and neat as it is, but is only temporary, and I need to acquire some smaller gauge wire for the lights, as well as some very thin tubing of some sort for the electrics to run through.  But definitely coming on!  

The first locomotive to arrive under its own power (steam?) arrived this afternoon, with GW Autotank 1420 making an appearance, as you can see from the photos below!  I was going to sell this, but decided that it looks so at home in this shed, that Im now going to keep it - at least for the time being!  For those of a more modern traction bent, keep watching for the next post :)  Hope you all enjoy the pics - thanks to everyone for their comments.

The first official visitor to the new shed...

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

Below an initial look at the dirty floor.  It looks better in real life than it does in the photos!

IMG_4079.jpg

First trial fitting of the internal shed lights

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

What a cracking set of photos Rich wonderful stuff!!!!  :good:

Thanks Paul.

Hopefully will be even better when its in a layout environment!!  Word on the grapevine is that there is a Scottish 47 on shed tonight ... might have to sneak through that fence again ;)

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

Hopefully will be even better when its in a layout environment!!  Word on the grapevine is that there is a Scottish 47 on shed tonight ... might have to sneak through that fence again ;)

Rich

Sounds like a plan you may as well spend the night there and see what turns up in the morning ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a plan you may as well spend the night there and see what turns up in the morning ;)

Hi Paul,

Had I not had work this morning - that could well have been the plan!  However, this was the scene 1:47am this morning .... Apparently it had worked south on an Aberdeen - London service, but was replaced at Newcastle, and Gateshead depot threw it out on a working from Tyneside Central Freight Depot - hence how it appeared at Marsh Lane...

IMG_4116.jpg

The light level had dropped quite a bit tho, so as you can see I had to resort to Black & White ISO800 film - this new colour stuff, just couldn't cope. One day maybe somebody will invent something new that can take pictures without needing film!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rich. It's incredible the effect you can achieve with a few small light bulbs.

Hi TTG,

Thanks yes it is - those night shots of the locos were only taken using four bulbs mounted on the roof trusses, no extra lighting at all.  I'd got the lights running around 6V, but the camera seemed to pick up more light than there actually was!

For those interested, the bulbs i'm using are these, which I think have a look of an old fashioned style light.

IMG_4130.jpg

Rich

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very effective. Love the B&W 47 shot. The barrels really add to the picture. With the extras you have mentioned fitting it will really be just like the real thing !

Thanks TTG.  I was aiming for as realistic as I could get it - still along way to go, but I think its a good start!

Try to keep the ISO no bigger than 800. Go for Ilford film and stay away from Kodak Triax.

Digital is clever though

Haha! Thanks for the advice - if only we could go back in time with digital cameras!  Oh if only.....

Rich

Another wonderful pic Rich, your making me jealous I haven't took any realistic pics in ages you need to stick some of these in the 'how realistic' thread :D

Cheers

Thanks Paul,

Was very chuffed (excuse the pun!) with that 47 shot!  You'll have to point me towards the 'how realistic' thread .. not come across that on rmWeb???/

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Your photo on the thread is up with the best on there.

Thanks for the compliment!

Suspect there will be little further progress before the weekend due to a busy week at work, but the pits are coming together slowly. If we can get some good weather then I can get the next board built and maybe move forward with track laying!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

No actual modelling done yet, just a quick photo session this evening!  A new addition to the layout arrived this afternoon, in the form of a Minerva Peckett (the diesel guys, hang in there - yours is coming in a min!).  Given that I'm thinking the portable layout will represent a steelworks exchange sidings and i have one of Minerva Kerr Stuart's on order as they are just too superb not to, I decided it needed a little yard shunter for use when running in the 1960s period.   Hence welcome to Iron Works No. 1 ...

IMG_4142.jpg

This is one of the sound fitted variety from NG Trains, and while it needs some weathering yet, does look superb.  I must also add congratulations to the guy thats done their DCC sounds (I forget his name?) and Minerva as this has to be one of the most controllable and realistic steam sounds I've heard yet.  DCC sound on the diesels has always impressed me, but the steam has lacked reality in my mind.  This isn't perfect, the 'chuffs' are not in time with the wheel revolutions, but at the end of the day its not the real thing, its a model - and a very good one at that.  Well worth the decision to go for it!  You may also like to take a look at the pic i've posted in the Peckett on show thread it seems to have found its way into the shed!

Does anyone know if its possible to have 7mm steam era nameplates made??

Now for the diesel guys, I happened to be wandering past the shed this evening on the way home from the pub, as one does, and by total coincidence, I happened to have a camera with me.  A nice surprise was to find 58039 in the shed being fuelled, certainly a stranger round these parts!  This is a pre-built brass kit I acquired from Guidex this year, the guy on the stand said I just beat somebody else, so if your on here apologies, but its a lovely model!  Lacking some detail that needs adding but nothing much.  Hope you enjoy!

Rich

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

• Like 7

Does anyone know if its possible to have 7mm steam era nameplates made??

Narrow Planet have provided me with excellent service recently

post-18627-0-41811700-1474356666_thumb.jpg

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/nameplate-styles

and in the past Chris at Severn Mill Nameplates has produced some very nice bespoke makers plates for me.

http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/nameplates.htm

Peter

P.S. Loving the shed!