Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

For anyone following the point construction on here, take a look at Post 54 over on Brian's (Tove) Gosty Hill layout - a superb diagram on how the tie blade should work.

I thought, I'll make a note on here otherwise i'll forget it when i need it later this week :)

Work will take precedence for the next few days unfortunately!

Rich

Thanks mate,

But perhaps "one way of how they can work" might be better....    :friends:

(i don`t want to get myself in trouble with more experienced RM weber`s.....)   ;)  

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well a quick update.  Although i've not finished the point yet - I'm hoping to get an hour or two tomorrow, as I'm only half day at work! Thoughts turned to operation and how to mount the servos beneath the board.  Im planning to operate them through a MegaPoints servo controller, and i know they talk of Aluminium 'U' pieces, but i wasn't quite happy with that. Therefore, i've designed a combined servo and microswitch mounting block, which Phil (at http://intentio.co.uk) has done the laser cutting for.  

The first one arrived today, and although there are a couple of tweaks need making, the basic idea is there and works.  The base (or roof if you like) has a predrilled hole for passing the wire through to the baseboard and point, along with screw holes (which i've enlarged slightly on the final design).  All slots together well, with tabs, and the side wings can be either added (individually or both) or left off totally, depending whether your using one or two microswitches - or none at all!  The servers can be glued (or preferably screwed) to the holder, to allow them to be changed, should they fail in the future.

IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

This example, shows the made up bracket (albeit not glued together yet), with one side wing on, and a 2p for evidence of its size!  The base will be a slightly different shape and wider in the centre on the final version, so that the wing side tabs (visible at the top) push into the base and make it firmer.

My thought is that I'm going to make these available at a small cost, probably around the £2-£3 mark to anyone who may want them - possibly through Phil at Intentio, and/or direct - the direct ones, I may also offer complete with servo and 1 or 2 microswitches as an option if people are interested.  If anyone wants to know more, or to be kept up-to-date, let me know on here or a PM. 

I'll also post some further pictures of the finished production version when the next batch arrives.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 4

Great work on the turnout! Looks far better than my first attempt! I look forward to seeing more track being done.

Also, when the servo mounts are done I'll take a few (when I can get some money for a change!), as I have servo's and microswitches, but no way of mounting them.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up Rich so sorry I wasn't able to help in the point building department, although probably just as well as you've got great advice off far more talented track builders than me ;) don't worry about making mistakes no one can start building track with a mistake and it's what makes us improve each time we build something.

Looking forward to more and remember to just enjoy it as things go better when your having fun :)

Cheers

Hi Rich,

Just had a quick run through the thread and it seems you are really taking the build seriously, good thing really as patience in the early stages pays dividends later. Recalling your post with the point blades and the question 'do they need thinning down' well I filed mine to a feather edge and still had problems with derailments, I decided to 'kink' the running lines (good railway practice on some companies) the blades now sit inside and derailments have drastically reduced. I just wish someone made an offset pair of parallel pliers.

Will be keeping an eye on this one Rich as I really love following the build process more than playing trains - sad I know   :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great work on the turnout! Looks far better than my first attempt! I look forward to seeing more track being done.

Also, when the servo mounts are done I'll take a few (when I can get some money for a change!), as I have servo's and microswitches, but no way of mounting them.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your kind comments.  Today has been manic, hardly stopped flying around since 8.30 - its now 00:30!  So not got back to tweaking that point, but do keep looking at it, a little in awe that i've managed anything that actually looks like a point!  Challenge for tomorrow, is to redo the blade and get it all stuck down!

As for the servos - sure no problem. I'm hoping, depending on Phil's workload, that he may just possibly get the 'production' version over to me early-mid next week, so watch out for some pics and I may even do a little video! Corrrrr! This is getting modern!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well just a quick update on the pointwork ... and an announcement, i've been waiting to post pics of for a while!  Firstly....

Just catching up Rich so sorry I wasn't able to help in the point building department, although probably just as well as you've got great advice off far more talented track builders than me ;) don't worry about making mistakes no one can start building track with a mistake and it's what makes us improve each time we build something.

Looking forward to more and remember to just enjoy it as things go better when your having fun :)

Cheers

Paul,

Thanks for comments - I have to say, I have enjoyed it and being something of an impetuous guy have a habit of wanting to push on and do something, then when I cant do it, or I run out of time, it falls by the wayside and gets redesign, new plans and I never get anything finished!   This layout, seems totally different - never in my years of modelling have I spent so much time on getting it right, buildings/trackwork/baseboards, without actually running anything ... yet, its not bothering me at all and Im really enjoying it!  Maybe hitting 38 in just under six weeks is having a calming influence!  OH god, I've just realised that 40 is only just round the corner  :scared:

But anyway, I am enjoying it so thats a good thing.  I keep aiming high, so if I can get within reach of all those who have offered help and advice on trackwork, and the inspiring trackwork on Edge Lane Junction, I shall be a very happy chap.  Must say, your use of point rodding and the like really has pushed me to make sure I include it on the pointwork and signals that will be ground frame operated.

Hi Rich,

Just had a quick run through the thread and it seems you are really taking the build seriously, good thing really as patience in the early stages pays dividends later. Recalling your post with the point blades and the question 'do they need thinning down' well I filed mine to a feather edge and still had problems with derailments, I decided to 'kink' the running lines (good railway practice on some companies) the blades now sit inside and derailments have drastically reduced. I just wish someone made an offset pair of parallel pliers.

Will be keeping an eye on this one Rich as I really love following the build process more than playing trains - sad I know   :locomotive:

Mike,

Many thanks for your very kind comments.  I'm very pleased with the creation to date, still work to do on the shed building and the like, but its coming - slow and steady.  I'm hoping that being 7mm, the weight and free running of the vehicles should help over come any such things, but I am going to take your advice and see if I can get the point blades a bit thinner at the ends.  One has to be replaced anyway, as I managed to do it upside down!

Moving on, not much to say at the moment. I've taken a quick look at the 'vee' and working on the advice given here previously, have updated it a bit as suggested and I think it looks a lot better now.  Still needs proper aligning (but this was only a quick look) and hopefully it should be ok.

IMG_4362.jpg

In other news, regular followers may recall that Marsh Lane was allocated a 'Generator' and a '31' a few months back - more of a paperwork allocation as the time, as both were assigned works attention for various things - namely respraying, naming in the case of the '47', and weathering!  Well I'm delighted to announce they have now arrived at their new shed, apparently the Depot Manager is thrilled at their addition, easing the motive power shortage for Trans-Pennine duties and engineering trains respectively!

So, may I present to you ..... 47406 'Rail Riders' ..... which I remember from days at York on the TP workings, when I was a member of the said club.

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

And Class 31 No. 31199 ... which brings back memories of the double and single headed 31s on tanks through Barnetby, during the hours spent there with Dad.

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

Both have had significant work done to them (not my me I hasten to add) with Pete Harvey's etches being used on the 47 (which included plating over the headcode panel) and fitting a dummy headlight, while the 31 has had a new buffer beam fitted (again PH Designs) and been quite heavily weathered.  The friend who has done these for me, has done a superb job and I really am delighted.  He's cost me money however, as 31199 really needs a red-stripe classmate to go with it! Lol!!  Having collected these two this afternoon, the Heljan model of 60021 Pen-y-Ghent has gone the other way for repaint.  When it returns, it will be slightly out of period, but as my dad use to work for British Steel, the chance to roll it out as 60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster was too good to miss!  

More of a spur to get on with the layout, so some proper images can be done - talking of which, I have also now identified the best Focus Stacking software for using the DSLR to do model railway photography, so once Marsh Lane is at a reasonable state, I shall move from my iPhone which took the above pics, to the Nikon DSLR and hopefully achieve better results.

Back to the trackwork tomorrow hopefully, so a further update then, or over the weekend.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 11

Love the New loco's that class 31 is a total beast you must be well pleased with them. 

The point building is looking good too, something I have wanted to do in 00 but haven't found the time yet.

Cheers Peter.

Evening all,

Well just a quick update on the pointwork ... and an announcement, i've been waiting to post pics of for a while!  Firstly....

Paul,

Thanks for comments - I have to say, I have enjoyed it and being something of an impetuous guy have a habit of wanting to push on and do something, then when I cant do it, or I run out of time, it falls by the wayside and gets redesign, new plans and I never get anything finished!   This layout, seems totally different - never in my years of modelling have I spent so much time on getting it right, buildings/trackwork/baseboards, without actually running anything ... yet, its not bothering me at all and Im really enjoying it!  Maybe hitting 38 in just under six weeks is having a calming influence!  OH god, I've just realised that 40 is only just round the corner  :scared:

But anyway, I am enjoying it so thats a good thing.  I keep aiming high, so if I can get within reach of all those who have offered help and advice on trackwork, and the inspiring trackwork on Edge Lane Junction, I shall be a very happy chap.  Must say, your use of point rodding and the like really has pushed me to make sure I include it on the pointwork and signals that will be ground frame operated.

Mike,

Many thanks for your very kind comments.  I'm very pleased with the creation to date, still work to do on the shed building and the like, but its coming - slow and steady.  I'm hoping that being 7mm, the weight and free running of the vehicles should help over come any such things, but I am going to take your advice and see if I can get the point blades a bit thinner at the ends.  One has to be replaced anyway, as I managed to do it upside down!

Moving on, not much to say at the moment. I've taken a quick look at the 'vee' and working on the advice given here previously, have updated it a bit as suggested and I think it looks a lot better now.  Still needs proper aligning (but this was only a quick look) and hopefully it should be ok.

IMG_4362.jpg

In other news, regular followers may recall that Marsh Lane was allocated a 'Generator' and a '31' a few months back - more of a paperwork allocation as the time, as both were assigned works attention for various things - namely respraying, naming in the case of the '47', and weathering!  Well I'm delighted to announce they have now arrived at their new shed, apparently the Depot Manager is thrilled at their addition, easing the motive power shortage for Trans-Pennine duties and engineering trains respectively!

So, may I present to you ..... 47406 'Rail Riders' ..... which I remember from days at York on the TP workings, when I was a member of the said club.

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

And Class 31 No. 31199 ... which brings back memories of the double and single headed 31s on tanks through Barnetby, during the hours spent there with Dad.

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

Both have had significant work done to them (not my me I hasten to add) with Pete Harvey's etches being used on the 47 (which included plating over the headcode panel) and fitting a dummy headlight, while the 31 has had a new buffer beam fitted (again PH Designs) and been quite heavily weathered.  The friend who has done these for me, has done a superb job and I really am delighted.  He's cost me money however, as 31199 really needs a red-stripe classmate to go with it! Lol!!  Having collected these two this afternoon, the Heljan model of 60021 Pen-y-Ghent has gone the other way for repaint.  When it returns, it will be slightly out of period, but as my dad use to work for British Steel, the chance to roll it out as 60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster was too good to miss!  

More of a spur to get on with the layout, so some proper images can be done - talking of which, I have also now identified the best Focus Stacking software for using the DSLR to do model railway photography, so once Marsh Lane is at a reasonable state, I shall move from my iPhone which took the above pics, to the Nikon DSLR and hopefully achieve better results.

Back to the trackwork tomorrow hopefully, so a further update then, or over the weekend.

Rich

Great work on the Track Rich, and as for the 31, well I'm DROOLING, :no:  hahahha

Simply gorgeous. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Love the New loco's that class 31 is a total beast you must be well pleased with them. 

The point building is looking good too, something I have wanted to do in 00 but haven't found the time yet.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.  Very pleased, I wish I had the skill to tackle similar, but Andi does such a good job (and there's loads to do on the layout) there is less incentive to find out how to do it myself!  But remembering them double-heading the oil tanks out of Immingham Docks does mean that 199 looks a little lonely without a classmate!  Lol! 

Great work on the Track Rich, and as for the 31, well I'm DROOLING, :no:  hahahha

Simply gorgeous. :sungum:

Cheers Andrew - I'm a bit the same, and i own it!! Think that 31 might be the next to be sound chipped.  These things come with a high price tag, by the time the various things for modding them and paint, transfers and names etc.. are included, but to me I can see the money in them, and should the need arise in the future - they are certainly not losing any value, so I'm treating it as an investment in someways.  Trouble is I have a list of the locos i'd like to see (bearing in mind i'm putting the fleet together for the big layout as well as Marsh Lane Depot) and the total cost makes me fall off my seat! Haha

With the 45 being out in July - oh my!

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

I have a few pics of 31199 I will have to dig them out. 

I would be very tempted to get a Peak they are a favourite loco of mine.

Cheers Peter.

Heljan do have one on the horizon Peter, due around August 2017!!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Heljan do have one on the horizon Peter, due around August 2017!!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Already have one reserved with Tower :) Problem is there are there locos i'd like to recreate ... it used to be no room to model, then it was lack of time ... now its not enough cash to do it!  In the words of Cleggy from "Last of the Summer Wine" its just one damm thing after another!

We need to push Peter to recreate Llanborne in O Gauge ;) hehe.  Talking of which, id love to see anything you have on 31199 Peter - thanks.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

On another topic has anyone tried fitting a working DCC version of the high-intensity headlights to locos in O gauge?  If so, any hints/pointers on how its being done?  Obviously a small LED wired into the decoder, but what are people using for the headlight mousing and lens?

Rich 

Oh i do really like the 47.

I`ve also got a 37 & 45 on order,plus two 08`s coming (fingers crossed) shortly.

And i really want a 31, (or two) so posting pic`s of your 31 is`nt helping me much.....   :nono:

Fortunatly i have`nt got the pennies at the moment so i should be safe.....!!

Brian.

Edited by Tove

• RMweb Gold

Oh i do really like the 47.

I`ve also got a 37 & 45 on order,plus two 08`s coming (fingers crossed) shortly.

And i really want a 31, (or two) so posting pic`s of your 31 is`nt helping me much.....   :nono:

Fortunatly i have`nt got the pennies at the moment so i should safe.....!!

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks - 2017 is looking like being an expensive year isn't it!!! :)  Im fortunate, that i've been able to add several locos to the fleet this year as i've been using funds from the proceeds of getting rid of the remainder of my OO gauge collection.

Can see the opportunity for RR to visit Gosty Hill, one day when we're both further on with layouts, with a trip working from Bescot!  If I can find another Heljan 47, then the next one should be a real celebrity! Trouble is I always said I would stop when i got to 15 locos ... the next acquisition will reach that point, but there's no way I cant go for next year's 37, 45 and 03 is there!! ops ... I'm just running out of the pennies ... so desperate saving up needed, ah well family members don't really want pressies this Christmas :)

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well, the P-Way crew have had a good afternoon and completed the first of the Depot pointwork :) yay!  :sungum:

The point that i've been working on was all stuck together with blue-tack, as it turns out it was a good move for the first one, as it allowed tweaks to be made and things re-sited as people waved in with comments and suggestions. All part of the learning curve.  Well this afternoon, i've taken it all apart, replaced the blade that was wrong, made two new wing rails so that the knuckles came in the right position, made the two check rails, put it all back together and glued it.

I have to say there was a very big smile and a feeling of joy when a 16-ton mineral wagon free wheeled over the length of the point, with no catching, bumps, knocks, wheel drop or anything!  It was as smooth as an iron running over both routes, so I can quite honestly say I've achieved another first with the construction of pointwork.  I've added all the various chairs and cut others to fill gaps. I know some of the chairs may be wrong for the positions (i.e. three bolts, rather than four etc, but it works and (to me anyway) looks good!  

I've ordered some tie-bars from JLTRT, having spoken to Laurie this afternoon, so they just need adding, together with one missing chair, then final tasks will be to solder the power connections that will go underneath the rails, and finally spray and weather it.  Hopefully tomorrow, may see a start made on the next one!

In all honesty, I really can say that I agree with everyone's comments.  Its not as daunting as it first seems, and as long as you take your time, its very enjoyable and rewarding.  Surprisingly, the blades and 'Vee' that I thought were going to be the hardest ended up being relatively simple, getting the wing rails right either side off the 'vee' was the bit I found the hardest, both interns of getting the 'kinks' right and keeping both sides a mirror image of each other where possible.

A big thank you to everyone who has chipped in with help, advice and comments on this. I doubt would have achieved the outcome I have without that input.

Rich

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

• Like 3

Well, the P-Way crew have had a good afternoon and completed the first of the Depot pointwork :) yay!  :sungum:

The point that i've been working on was all stuck together with blue-tack, as it turns out it was a good move for the first one, as it allowed tweaks to be made and things re-sited as people waved in with comments and suggestions. All part of the learning curve.  Well this afternoon, i've taken it all apart, replaced the blade that was wrong, made two new wing rails so that the knuckles came in the right position, made the two check rails, put it all back together and glued it.

I have to say there was a very big smile and a feeling of joy when a 16-ton mineral wagon free wheeled over the length of the point, with no catching, bumps, knocks, wheel drop or anything!  It was as smooth as an iron running over both routes, so I can quite honestly say I've achieved another first with the construction of pointwork.  I've added all the various chairs and cut others to fill gaps. I know some of the chairs may be wrong for the positions (i.e. three bolts, rather than four etc, but it works and (to me anyway) looks good!  

I've ordered some tie-bars from JLTRT, having spoken to Laurie this afternoon, so they just need adding, together with one missing chair, then final tasks will be to solder the power connections that will go underneath the rails, and finally spray and weather it.  Hopefully tomorrow, may see a start made on the next one!

In all honesty, I really can say that I agree with everyone's comments.  Its not as daunting as it first seems, and as long as you take your time, its very enjoyable and rewarding.  Surprisingly, the blades and 'Vee' that I thought were going to be the hardest ended up being relatively simple, getting the wing rails right either side off the 'vee' was the bit I found the hardest, both interns of getting the 'kinks' right and keeping both sides a mirror image of each other where possible.

A big thank you to everyone who has chipped in with help, advice and comments on this. I doubt would have achieved the outcome I have without that input.

Rich

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

That looks super Rich, I remember when I made my first ones in OO for Bitton, and seeing a wagon roll over was magic. Gordon S on here told me to place a wagon on one end, CLOSE YOUR EYES and put a finger on it and roll it across and you shouldn't be able to feel any wheel drop in the V.

Good luck with the rest of them.

Hi Brian,

Thanks - 2017 is looking like being an expensive year isn't it!!! :)  Im fortunate, that i've been able to add several locos to the fleet this year as i've been using funds from the proceeds of getting rid of the remainder of my OO gauge collection.

Can see the opportunity for RR to visit Gosty Hill, one day when we're both further on with layouts, with a trip working from Bescot!  If I can find another Heljan 47, then the next one should be a real celebrity! Trouble is I always said I would stop when i got to 15 locos ... the next acquisition will reach that point, but there's no way I cant go for next year's 37, 45 and 03 is there!! ops ... I'm just running out of the pennies ... so desperate saving up needed, ah well family members don't really want pressies this Christmas :)

Rich

I think we need to set up a dedicated speedlink service that is carrying scrap from Gosty hill,to.......(your future layout name here!)....?And i`m sure that Bescot will take the opportunity to forward any loco`s that you send down for the trip working,and vise versa...... :good:

Not sure i`ll get too 15 loco`s,as i don`t have that much US stuff to sell off now.....but i have been threating the family that i`ll only be sending card`s now there all too old for pressies......so you could try that on your family!.

Rich

IMG_4378.jpg

Errr, given your hard work on this, your first point,i`m not too sure i should point this out as you`ve done such a good job on it!.

But......

for future reference, the point blades extend past,(and on too the next sleeper) where your going to put your stretcher bar.That way the ends are supported on a slide chair,and don`t float in mid air.

post-19751-0-71045300-1477682059_thumb.jpg

Hope i have`nt put a dampner on thing`s?.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to set up a dedicated speedlink service that is carrying scrap from Gosty hill,to.......(your future layout name here!)....?And i`m sure that Bescot will take the opportunity to forward any loco`s that you send down for the trip working,and vise versa...... :good:

Not sure i`ll get too 15 loco`s,as i don`t have that much US stuff to sell off now.....but i have been threating the family that i`ll only be sending card`s now there all too old for pressies......so you could try that on your family!.

Errr, given your hard work on this, your first point,i`m not too sure i should point this out as you`ve done such a good job on it!.

But......

for future reference, the point blades extend past,(and on too the next sleeper) where your going to put your stretcher bar.That way the ends are supported on a slide chair,and don`t float in mid air.

attachicon.giftrack laying #3.jpg

Hope i have`nt put a dampner on thing`s?.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

We probably do!  The big layout will be based around a steelworks/speedlink exchange yard called Millfield Sidings, with locos supplied by Marsh Lane Depot of course, so i'll have a chat with the Depot Manager and see at some in the future if we can get 406 allocated to it ... trouble is Bescot tend to keep the good'uns, and you have a devils own job getting them back north! :) lol

I really should stop, but i like to see variety and too many ideas for locos, liveries and examples lol!

As for point blades .. where's the ban button! :)  :jester: Thanks for pointing that out, good to know for reference next time, i'd missed that on the Templot drawing, but now you've said, yes its clearly visible.  Always welcome positive negatives (if that makes sense) and constructive criticism, if not, how do we learn for the future?

Cheers mate

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

We probably do!  The big layout will be based around a steelworks/speedlink exchange yard called Millfield Sidings, with locos supplied by Marsh Lane Depot of course, so i'll have a chat with the Depot Manager and see at some in the future if we can get 406 allocated to it ... trouble is Bescot tend to keep the good'uns, and you have a devils own job getting them back north! :) lol

You best not send the 58 down then........you may never see it again.....!!  :taunt:

As for point blades .. where's the ban button! :)  :jester: Thanks for pointing that out, good to know for reference next time, i'd missed that on the Templot drawing, but now you've said, yes its clearly visible.  Always welcome positive negatives (if that makes sense) and constructive criticism, if not, how do we learn for the future?

Cheers mate

Rich

I`m sure that there`s a ban button somewhere on here!. :scared:

We`ve all been there,and still do from time to time!!.

Look`s good though, and will fit in nicely.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Rich

Thanks Rich for your kind words, I'm like you though mate if I'm doing something I want it done properly but I do like everything done yesterday, also 40 is around the corner for me :( just a bit sooner as in next year not good.

Your point looks excellent I can't wait to get back to track making!!

Thanks again

I have a concern with the switch area--did you forget to put a set into the diverging stock rail? It looks devilishly like a curve and no doubt the blades aren't fitting as they should. Likewise, they seem to be several mm too short? They should extend past the 'next' timber as well (which also has slide chairs). And I hate to point this out but the vee does not look to have been made accurately--It appears to be filed at some angle other than the common crossing on the template. This link should help you: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=359

Here's a link showing how to file blades as well, if you're interested: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81779-switch-blade-planing-and-vee-tapering-questions/

And a simple jig you can make (or approximate!) at home: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_post.php?post_id=8931

Here's one I prepared earlier:

post-20159-0-65106000-1477707918_thumb.jpg

I contend that if even I can build track (to P4 standards) then it should be a doddle in 0-MF. In real terms this slip is only the 5th piece of pointwork I've ever made, 2nd in P4. Anything is possible with a good method and level head. (my apologizes for the poor quality of the photo!)

Quentin

• Like 2