Chinese motor test

Richard Hall

Wish you wouldn't keep finding these things - I've got so many different ones now en-route I won't know what to do with them! Seriously, thankyou.

• RMweb Gold

Wish you wouldn't keep finding these things - I've got so many different ones now en-route I won't know what to do with them! Seriously, thankyou.

I know what you mean. 20 more have just landed on my mat from HK.

(3 x 4.5mm steppers!)

I seriously doubt they are worth powering up!!

Kev

It's hardly going to break the bank to get a selection at these prices though. Too many times in the past I have seen bargains slip by never to be repeated, and with the demise of Mashima motors are a bit harder to source. At the moment coreless motors are popular for the electric drone market, and that looks like being popular for the time being.

The small vibrator motors are very tempting as they have twin output shafts, nice for diesels and fitting flywheels, and using in tender mounted motors. Also general purpose animation on layouts. 009 mechanisms are easy with such motors.

Steppers are a complete nuisance, awkward to drive outside a computer driver circuit, although there are lots of driver boards on Ebay at present, but no easy one solution board.

The small steppers with a screw output are nice, but how are they sensed to provide limits to the movement? I suspect that they are meant to drive aperture mechanisms where the driving circuit is sensing the lens light output in a feedback loop. Without the feedback loop, they are pretty useless. I would like to use them for point motors, but modified servos offer a better approach.

They could have micro switches added at each stroke end, but then why bother with a stepper motor, a DC motor would be better. You can use DCC control, but the cost begins to climb up as usual with DCC......

Stephen.

• Like 1

What are the best motors to buy for small (up to 6 coupled tanks) 4mm, 7mm and O-16.5 locos? I've got some of the Mitsumis like these, but haven't tried them yet. I suppose I ought to stock up while I can.

$_1.JPG
Edited by BG John
  • Like 1

What are the best motors to buy for small (up to 6 coupled tanks) 4mm, 7mm and O-16.5 locos? I've got some of the Mitsumis like these, but haven't tried them yet. I suppose I ought to stock up while I can.

$_1.JPG

These seem the best general purpose motor, a bit small for general 4mm, but 040 / 060 use would be fine.

Plus point motors etc.

Stephen.

And another - skew wound 5 pole open frame, 9.3mm wide Tenshodo-esque motors, £2.50 for two... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262361938230

They are so expensive though........!!!! seriously they are good motors, 12 volt, 5 pole etc., and are a replacement direct for the Tenshodo etc. I bought 4, at the price I could have dozens of some others!!!

Stephen.

Expensive, yes, but that's a Rolls-Royce specification for micro motors.  If these things aren't made of cheese they will be ideal for large (class 8 or 9) locomotives of the kind that, er, I have no requirement for. Never mind, I'm sure they'll be useful one day.

These seem the best general purpose motor, a bit small for general 4mm, but 040 / 060 use would be fine.

Plus point motors etc.

Stephen.

Thanks. Good to know I haven't wasted a huge fortune buying them! What about for 7mm scale?

So now that's another 4 motors ordered! But I have to say usually skew-wounds perform well, except for the old K's ones

I should be on commission.  Now sold out, less than an hour after I posted the link.  The 1015 cans seem to have all gone as well.

I have two types of 5 pole skewed motors. In both cases they have a strong magnetic attraction so much so that I believe they would effect sprung or articulated suspension systems. I am looking for a cheap supply of Mu metal.

Sorry to disabuse you, you do not need Mu metal, any steel will do to shunt magnets. Mu is designed to not retain any field, it does not as some users claim deflect or shield magnetism.

Sorry the posting sounds so firm, but a lot of people get the wrong information on all things magnetic, and dream of dual poles, magnet shields, et al, mainly in the hope of making magnet motors with perpetual motion!!! ( See youtube for the nutters farm).

I used to design small DC motors years ago.

Stephen

If the suspension wires etc., are giving trouble from the magnets, it may pay to use Beryllium Copper wire or Phosphor Bronze wire as the spring. You can also make coil springs in it easily. Heat the wire to remove all tension, and then wind, it restores the springing as it coils and improves with age. You can heat and pull and twist to make super straight spring wire from both metals. The heating can be a small flame in a gas torch, just to get it hot, not red heat.

Both metals have no attraction to magnets at all. They do respond to AC fields though, induced fields, but not permanent magnets,

Stephen.

A further wallet emptier is on several new listings on Ebay 12/24 volt they claim, (always take voltage and revs figures with a pinch of salt). A five pole skewed slot motor, from about £2.10 up wards, so very expensive! (relative to Mashima of course).

Looks a good design, has 2mm shafts, to big for 2mm but 4mm would be fine. Skewed slots, big armature area.

post-6750-0-87818400-1466080243.jpg

post-6750-0-52279000-1466080269.jpg

post-6750-0-68320600-1466080284.jpg

Stephen.

That you for the info on Mu metal. The motor you have shown, which cost me £2.00, is the one of prime concern. It is not the springs but the axles themselves that concern me as the magnets are sufficiently powerful to attract from a distance of 12mm or more.

The only motor that hasn't yet turned up in any of my searches is the really useful one - 8 x 15 flat can, as used by Farish until they went coreless.  That is an ideal size for 2mm or N as it will fit in the firebox of almost anything. I have found some, butt only 3 volt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111995148610?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The small coreless 7x16 or so, with neo magnets and rated at 12 volts /24volts,.... well I got some in and they are fine, but the 24volt rating is purest fantasy, they will take a range under load from 1 volt to 12volts at modest current, 24volt on them and they would disintegrate some what!

The Chinese grasp of electrics in these general purpose Ebay stores is wonderfully lacking. At least they are not 3 volt types!

The shaft is a bit short but will take the Nigel Lawton pulley system or the small 14:1 gears he does.

Generally good for 2mm locos and scale 009 lcos, bit small for 4mm generally, unless a tiny engine or small diesel.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog