A Model Railway in a Toolbox

• RMweb Gold

This is a fascinating little layout that I have only just discovered on RMweb.

I don't normally get enthused about micro layouts but there is something very attractive about this one.

Congratulations AySea.

• 3 years later...

It's been a loooong time since I last posted an update on this layout. I also haven't done much to it for a long while due to doing other things, but thought I'd share this update while I've found a bit of spare time. The work done in this post was actually done in May of this year...

Since the last update, I assembled a couple of Langley Models Horse Drawn Coal Carts, kit number E22 with a minor modification.

spacer.png

There should be a panel where you could possibly attach a coal merchants name on the front of the cart, which I replaced with a piece of microstrip to match the other three sides. The shafts and front axle assembly were kept separate to the rest of the cart and the horse to make painting easier. All the parts to be painted were then attached to cocktail sticks with Blu Tack and sprayed in black primer before brush painting them in appropriate colours.

spacer.png

As well as the horses, carts and one of the drivers from the Horse Drawn Coal Cart kit, I also used a couple of other Langley figures. These were two porters from kit A124 and a figure that I think is supposed to be smoking a pipe from kit A95. There's also two cats from kit A115 in the photo above, but I haven't put them on the layout anywhere yet.

Once painted, one of the porters was fixed inside the front of the warehouse building before the section with the doors was glued on. Then it was all glued to the removable base and the rest of the building finished off.

spacer.png

The figure inside the building is lifting boxes and crates to the door ready for loading while another figure stands on the cart beginning to stack the items in place. With the horse still hitched between the shafts of the cart while loading takes place, the driver is standing to the side keeping an eye on things while smoking his pipe.

spacer.png

Finally for this update, Stanley Yard made an appearance at the Kewstoke Family Model Railway Show held on the 15th May 2022 at Kewstoke Village Hall in North Somerset. Below is a photo of how it looked while there.

spacer.png

I don't know when I'll get round to doing anything else to this layout. Got too many other ideas of things that I want to do and not enough time to do them all.

• Like 10