Post 1976 Warflat kit from the N Gauge Society plus military vehicles

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

NGS to produce post-1976 Warflat kit.

The NGS's next kit - number 55 - will depict the Warflat wagons built for the Ministry of Defence in two batches in 1976 and 1981 at BR Shildon works to carry armoured vehicles and supplies between depots, training grounds and military ports.

The wagons have straight steel solebars and wooden decks, with heavy duty jacks that clamp to the rails and allow vehicles to be loaded at one end and driven along the train. All are painted army green. When introduced they were dual braked and coded PFB, however all were later configured with air-brakes only and recoded KFA. They are still in service.

The kit will comprise an injection moulded plastic body tooled by Parkside Dundas, a cast metal underframe for weight, one-piece plastic bogies with NEM couplers and etched detail parts. Decals for all eras will be included.

The first 39 vehicles were coded PFB and had air brakes with through vacuum pipes.  The first livery was green with white lettering.

post-420-0-81206900-1468880505_thumb.jpg

A second batch was built in 1981 and, not fitted with a through pipe, were coded PFA.   All the wagons were subsequently given air brakes only and coded KFA.  The current livery is green, with yellow jacks and lettering, though this does not appear to have been applied to all the wagons yet.

post-420-0-92358300-1468880511_thumb.jpg

NGS to produce military vehicle "loads"

The NGS is teaming up with PG Models to produce a small range of military vehicles to complement its upcoming post-1976 Warflat, and existing Warwell and WW2 Warflat kits.

The vehicles will be cast in lightweight resin, rather than the usual pewter, so if they are used as loads they do not make the wagons top-heavy, and have been selected to represent the 1950s to the present day.

The vehicles are:

Humber FV-1611 "Pig" armoured car. These saw service with the British Army from 1956-1994 but were particularly associated with the troubles in Northern Ireland from the 1960s to the 1980s, where they were also used by the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

post-420-0-83461200-1468744362.jpeg

BAE/Hagglunds BV-206 amphibious troop carrier. These permanently linked tracked vehicles comprise a cab unit and a separate trailer unit. Originally designed in Sweden in the mid 1970s, they have been used by the British Army and the Royal Marines in the Falklands, Iraq, the Balkans and Afghanistan as well as in exercises from the equator to the Arctic Circle. They are still in service.

post-420-0-48080200-1468744404.jpeg

GKN Sankey AT-105 Saxon armoured personnel carrier. These were a "low-cost" APC designed to use existing Bedford lorry parts, and eventually numbered more than 600 in troop carrying, recovery and ambulance configurations. Entering service in 1983, they were used in Northern Ireland, on UN peacekeeping duties in Bosnia, in Kosovo and in the Gulf and Iraq wars before being withdrawn in 2009. Nearly 150 remain in store as a contingency.

post-420-0-35708600-1468744428_thumb.jpeg (Photo courtesy T Neate)

Alvis FV-107 Scimitar light tank (Life Extension Programme version.) The Scimitar Command/Reconnaissance Vehicle entered service in 1971, but in 2000 a major refurbishment programme was started to extend the lives of these useful vehicles with new engines and transmission units and numerous other enhancements. LEP Scimitars have several significant external differences to the original Scimitar, and the NGS model will reflect these. There is a pewter model of the original Scimitar in PG Models' standard range.

post-420-0-23140700-1468744526_thumb.jpeg

All photos courtesy Paul Gandy except where indicated.

Cheers

Ben A.

EDIT:  I have replaced the photo in the original post with graphic images illustrating the wagons, because I am worried I used a miscredited photograph.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

It almost makes me wish I modelled in N.

Some of those BV206s have gone into civilian use, as personnel carriers on difficult-to-access sites; one appeared at the Dover sea-wall works during the initial beach works, and will probably appear again when the second phase of beach-works take place.

These Warflats were initially air-braked and vacuum-piped; when the last vacuum-braked general freights finished, in the early/mid 1980s, the vacuum pipes were removed. The change of the first part of the TOPS designation was due to the changing nature of the whole wagon population; to accomodate more private-owner types, BR ceded the J and K groups.

If anyone's looking for inspiration for loads and usage of these wagons, then pages 3 to 6 of this part of Brian Daniels' site will be of interest, I think:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776

Now that is what I have been waiting for!

I've got one of the old Ian Stoates Warflats, the rest of my PG Models carrying wagons are repainted lookalike pre-1976 Warflats. So I have been waiting for new model for the KFA for the last few years.

How long will it take before they are ready be ordered from the N Gauge Society shop?

Dominic

• RMweb Gold

How long will it take before they are ready be ordered from the N Gauge Society shop?

Dominic

Hello Dominic,

We are at the design stage right now, though we have already managed to source drawings from the main library of ex BR wagons.

I am hoping tooling will be completed by early next year, with the models ready for sale sometime in Spring 2017.

However experience shows that scheduling the production of model railway items involving volunteers and a variety of subcontractors is not an exact science!

Cheers

Ben A.

Firstly, congrats on a most useful idea, I am sure several will be coming my way!

May I make a suggestion though - 

As the NGS already do the warwell wagon, may I suggest asking PG models about adding the Warrior to the list of resin models to be produced, obviously in addition to the cradle they need to keep them in the loading gauge. The warriors are very heavy models but ideal for a more recent military goods train and the list you have there does not really include any vehicles specifically for the warwells.

This image is on the PG Models website - 

https://pgmodels.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/012.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, congrats on a most useful idea, I am sure several will be coming my way!

May I make a suggestion though - 

As the NGS already do the warwell wagon, may I suggest asking PG models about adding the Warrior to the list of resin models to be produced, obviously in addition to the cradle they need to keep them in the loading gauge. The warriors are very heavy models but ideal for a more recent military goods train and the list you have there does not really include any vehicles specifically for the warwells.

This image is on the PG Models website - 

https://pgmodels.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/012.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon

We didn't do the Warrior for two reasons:

1)  If you want a lightweight version there is the Dragon 1/144 scale model 

2)  We thought that it made sense to commission new models that were not already available.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

In some ways for the warflat the fv432 might be better than the pig. They encompass all the period of the wagons up to the present day and there are far more of them than the scimitars. Certainly when I was at Marchwood the 432 and land rovers were the most common loads.

• RMweb Gold

In some ways for the warflat the fv432 might be better than the pig. They encompass all the period of the wagons up to the present day and there are far more of them than the scimitars. Certainly when I was at Marchwood the 432 and land rovers were the most common loads.

Hi Paul,

I think you're right but both FV432 and Landrover are already in the PG Models range, and in discussions with Paul Gandy we felt it would be better for both parties to expand the range with new models.

If these prove to be popular then I have little doubt that Paul will consider casting some of his existing models in resin, especially if there is demonstrable demand.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I think you're right but both FV432 and Landrover are already in the PG Models range, and in discussions with Paul Gandy we felt it would be better for both parties to expand the range with new models.

If these prove to be popular then I have little doubt that Paul will consider casting some of his existing models in resin, especially if there is demonstrable demand.

Cheers

Ben A.

Only thought the weight may become an issue if someone wanted a long train. Very positive release, only wish there was a similar media kit in OO as the whitemetal Genesis ones are a bit dated and very heavy ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Is the Dragon 1/144 scale Warrior still available? I was lucky enough to get hold of a couple but I've not seen any for 10+ years.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Simon

2)  We thought that it made sense to commission new models that were not already available.

cheers

Ben A.

Interesting, didn't spot that they were new models, makes a lot of sense!

There seems to be a couple of problems with the Dragon models though, they were only produced as a twin pack with a Challenger 2 main battle tank and have not been in production for a good many years. I have been looking for them for a while and despite lots of searching, I have not been able to acquire any at all hence my suggestion.

Should anyone know where I can acquire some, please let me know, I will be very happy for a pointer!

Anyway, as I previously mentioned, I look forward to these and will be getting some.

best wishes

simon

Edited by bridgiesimon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has seen test mouldings of two of the planned vehicles from PG Models - the Life Extended Scimitar light tank and the Saxon APC.

These are completed and painted models:

post-420-0-77843700-1475272315_thumb.jpeg

post-420-0-95693500-1475272326_thumb.jpeg

As many will know, we are having these models predominantly cast in resin to save weight - the Scimitar is 8g, compared to 24g for the all-metal version in the existing PG range. To save money the Scimitar will have its tracks and gun in standard pewter.

post-420-0-37948600-1475272302_thumb.jpeg

The Saxon is even lighter, as all the components are resin.

post-420-0-15516000-1475272291_thumb.jpeg

Once we have double checked and approved them main production will start, and we expect these models to be available within the next 8 weeks or so, although the wagon kit they're designed for - the modern Waflat - isn't expected until the middle of next year.

The next two models in this new an exclusive range, the BV-206 amphibious personnel carrier and the Humber Pig armoured car, are still being mastered.

Cheers

Ben A.

NGS VP.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

as an addition to the previous discussion about the Warrior vehicle for the warwells, these are now available from Butler Printer Models as a 3D print so very light weight - perfect for a long train.

https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/10/12-mm/post-ww2-c82/british/tracked.html

No connection beyond repeat customer with a pile of Scorpions to paint, Warriors to follow next time. Usual issues associated with layering but still lovely models for the size and unbeatable prices!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that, very useful, though as you say Warriors have to go on Warwells for gauge issues.

As it has been a while here is an update on the NGS Warflat:  the plastic parts are ready and the mastering completed for the cast parts which are being test moulded now.

The instructions have been written.

Photo etched parts are about to be tested too.

Once these are done and checked - and the instructions amended to reflect any changes - the kit will be ready.

It has taken significantly longer than anticipated due to issues with the injection moulded parts.

cheers

Ben A.