APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Thanks, that all makes sense.  Useful photos.

I suppose the posh compartment was important politically to ensure continued funding, give them an idea of what the future could be.

Yes, that was its purpose in life, to show the BR hierarchy how the APT-P would ride.

We had a very small, 2 seat, VIP compartment in TC2 aboard E-Train for the same reason, and when we upgraded E-Train to 4 car form TC1 became the proper VIP compartment with 20+ seats. We had the BR Chairman ride aboard E-Train, but I don't think any of them rode aboard Hastings, just Board members.

Of course with all those plush seats (and the coffee machine...) the test crew couldn't let the compartment go to waste, could we? :rolleyes:

Many a ham and cheese cob, and the odd batch of fish and chips were consumed while sitting in those VERY comfy seats.  ;)

• Funny 2

20 hours ago, apt-e said:

New roof finished.  Need to add lower cable cover to body.  Tilt pack and compressor to add, then I can get on with the bogies. 

Gutter added to roof and window frame added to vip.

As always, thanks Mr Tilt.

20210223_190129.jpg

20210223_190122.jpg

20210223_190103.jpg

20210223_191542.jpg

20210223_191539.jpg

20210223_191536.jpg

In pic 4 there should be a door at the end of the partition, with an angled partition. I'll see if I have any clear pics of that area as it is now, however it may have been a later addition. Kit may know for certain. Also dont forget the serving hatch in the solid partition next to the VIP compartment door.

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
corrected info
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shane,

Thanks, that would be really great  if you could find more internal photos..

Was it like that during tilt testing times Mr Tilt? 

Regards

Paul.

16141822038713615147138039987919.jpg

Edited by apt-e

25 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

In pic 4 there should be a door at the end of the partition, with an angled partition. I'll see if I have any clear pics of that area as it is now, however it may have been a later addition. Kit may know for certain. Also dont forget the serving hatch in the solid partition next to the VIP compartment door.

I'd need some pics as it is now to refresh my memory (even though I'm only 25 miles away from it..... :()

The hatch from what was the Guard's compartment was added by the people at the Walthamstow Museum as they wanted to turn that area into a mini-bar, thus all the beer mats all over the wall. That partition was solid in its RTC days. 

I'm still not sure about the angled partition, it certainly wasn't a toilet as we always had to use the one on the gennie vehicle. 

How about modifying the plan drawing roughly so we can try and figure it out?

• Like 1

Now this is very interesting as it will help us with what we are trying to achieve with the real thing. I wont feel so bad about taking some of this stuff out. Your drawing makes sense to me now.  It is entirely possible the door was added post RTC days, or after the tilt testing phase.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

The hatch from what was the Guard's compartment was added by the people at the Walthamstow Museum as they wanted to turn that area into a mini-bar, thus all the beer mats all over the wall. That partition was solid in its RTC days. 

I'm still not sure about the angled partition, it certainly wasn't a toilet as we always had to use the one on the gennie vehicle. 

I wasn't sure it was a toilet area myself it just looks identical to MK1 or DMU toilet areas that's all. 

Plus the fact there's a whacking great water tank above there too!

Mark 

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Markmiller2008 said:

One of the serving hatch here too, to the left of the ex toilet area. But as Kit says this isn't original. 

Mark 

91004162-6C33-474C-A50F-663FBAFF5996.jpeg

Kit, would the bit of red carpet below the varnished panel been there originally and gone from floor to ceiling? Its the last remaining piece of cord carpet in the vehicle. 

• Like 1

There was also a small sink in the corner under the frosted small 'toilet' window which we still have. Above the guards area is a huge water tank in the roof, is it possible this was left in from its as built condition but it makes the ceiling very low so we are looking to remove it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

There was also a small sink in the corner under the frosted small 'toilet' window which we still have. Above the guards area is a huge water tank in the roof, is it possible this was left in from its as built condition but it makes the ceiling very low so we are looking to remove it.

Yes, that area was where the kitchen was originally, and there was a staff toilet toward the A end according to Diagram 678, so that would explain why the water tank was there. They'd have needed a lot of water for the kitchen of course. 

Mark, is that pic where you showed the angled partition looking through the door to the A end? The one where the tilt pack went?

If so Paul, the electrical contactor cupboard was on the right hand wall in that pic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Kit, would the bit of red carpet below the varnished panel been there originally and gone from floor to ceiling? Its the last remaining piece of cord carpet in the vehicle. 

Yes, for sure, and all the way across the floor and up the other side too! :o

It's a pity they stripped it out at Walthamstow as it was still in quite good nick. And they PAINTED it red, for goodness sake! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Yes, that area was where the kitchen was originally, and there was a staff toilet toward the A end according to Diagram 678, so that would explain why the water tank was there. They'd have needed a lot of water for the kitchen of course. 

Mark, is that pic where you showed the angled partition looking through the door to the A end? The one where the tilt pack went?

If so Paul, the electrical contactor cupboard was on the right hand wall in that pic.

Yes that's right, looking into the A end which is the end were currently working on.

Mark 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is that a teletype beside the tape drive, or is it a paper tape punch ?

Both.

It's a DY430 that accepts paper tape programmes for the Redcor, and also was the main manual input device for it too, and it also printed out any tabular results we wanted.

The original one aboard TC2 was wrecked when the Support Group took over the train in 2000, and when Barrie and Malcolm started restoring the racks and the computer a few years later we needed another one. Barrie had a contact at the Bletchley Park Computer Museum site and he asked them if they knew where to get one and they said 'How many do you want? We've got LOADS of them'. :rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought it looked familiar.  We upgraded to something like that - I have punched paper tape manually hole by hole.  I can't remember the character codes for paper tape any more but I could probably still manage many of the Hollerith punch card equivalents..  

I even used one of those in the late 1960s to print train tickets for a fully signalled O gauge railway that was worked by Staff & Ticket - and instead of the roll of paper I fed in punch cards individually and printed the tickets on the back of the card!

• Like 1