Jon Fitness' average 7mm signals workbench.

Here's the clip of the signal I promised. It's not finished yet as there's still handrails, walkboards and some serious weathering to do before it's taken to the layout.

Bit of a bind only being able to upload a max file size of 2mb as that precludes any reasonable length of video and I'm not keen on external links.

Anyway, click here for a lo-res clip of the signal on test.

Must get stuck in to the finishing off process as I want it fitted to the layout this weekend!

More soon

JF

• Like 4

Complete and ready for weathering. I thought the linkages were awkward to do, until I came to do the walkboards....

The wood stain colour is a bit lighter now it's dried.

If you are wondering where the weight bars are, they will be "hidden under a wooden trap door in the platform surface" (honest guv).

post-7179-0-29669100-1345951229.jpgpost-7179-0-00721700-1345951233.jpgpost-7179-0-17885400-1345951237.jpgpost-7179-0-33396600-1345951241.jpg

Time to get it nice and dirty...

More soon

JF .

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 14

Well, I got the signal weathered and installed but recent problems with the power supply to the rest of them manifested themselves just before I started so...no test.

The transformer has started to trip out and back in again causing mucho twitching and strange signal arm positions. The last time this happened it was caused by a failing servo but as there's about 25 servos on this supply (plus some of the signal lamps), it will take some tracing. Each driver board will have to be isolated until it stops tripping out then each servo on that board re-connected until it trips again.

Hmph.

post-7179-0-42929900-1346081247.jpgpost-7179-0-27467100-1346081252.jpgpost-7179-0-54274800-1346081256.jpgpost-7179-0-93350500-1346081261.jpgpost-7179-0-53568500-1346081266.jpg

Never mind, it looks ok even if I can't yet get it to work!

More soon (if I haven't gone completely mad)

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 11

Hi Jon,

Do you think this problem could be due to the fact that on boot-up, servos tend to centre their positions (ie going clock wise; anti clockwise; stop)? If you've got 25 all doing this at the same time, this would represent quite a significant current draw to the system, and possibly accounting for your transformer shutting down?? The answer might be to 'switch in' smaller groups of servos after boot up of the system, thus avoiding this large current drain on boot-up?? Once boot-up is complete, servos will just sit there with very little maintenance current draw, and thus the system can cope with this - no problem.

Hope this is helpful, and not a case of me trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs!!

Best wishes

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Do you think this problem could be due to the fact that on boot-up, servos tend to centre their positions (ie going clock wise; anti clockwise; stop)? If you've got 25 all doing this at the same time, this would represent quite a significant current draw to the system, and possibly accounting for your transformer shutting down?? The answer might be to 'switch in' smaller groups of servos after boot up of the system, thus avoiding this large current drain on boot-up?? Once boot-up is complete, servos will just sit there with very little maintenance current draw, and thus the system can cope with this - no problem.

Hope this is helpful, and not a case of me trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs!!

Best wishes

Mike

There has been much discussion in the past about problems with "Servo Twitch" on start-up.

To avoid this, the controllers used on Liverpool Lime Street ensure that the "position" signal is sent out before the power supply is connected.

Being entirely digital, the position of the servo at last use is stored in the controller.

This seems to work, and Lime Street has currently 32 servos driving semaphore signals.

The same technology (software) is used in the commercial version of these controllers, from GF Controls.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Amazing what can be achieved in the odd quiet moment at work (cough cough)..... :whistle:

Ha! When I was on shifts |(many years ago now!), every time I tried to do a bit of modelling, something usually 'happened', meaning that the modelling didn't get done!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I got the signal weathered and installed but recent problems with the power supply to the rest of them manifested themselves just before I started so...no test.

JF

Hmm, last night's post seems to have vanished. Very nice Jon and it fits the scene really nicely but I hope you had time to send 9 bells for that departing dmu ;)

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Best wishes

Mike

There has been much discussion in the past about problems with "Servo Twitch" on start-up.

To avoid this, the controllers used on Liverpool Lime Street ensure that the "position" signal is sent out before the power supply is connected.

Being entirely digital, the position of the servo at last use is stored in the controller.

This seems to work, and Lime Street has currently 32 servos driving semaphore signals.

The same technology (software) is used in the commercial version of these controllers, from GF Controls.

Steve.

Mike, Steve, I went to the layout last night and isolated part of the servo circuits and normal service was resumed on the main lines at least. I will be back on friday to check out "Astley Bridge" where the recent new signals are giving problems. I think it was probably too much for one transformer to cope with and some of the signal lights and yard/station lamps were on as well. I have a new transformer with 2 variable feeds designed for lighting so I will fit that and separate the lights from the servo feed! I'll also tidy up what has slowly morphed into the chaotic spaghetti of wiring under the layout.

I know all the signals are alright as seperately, I have tested each board with a 9v battery and all are ok.

The twitching on startup can be fixed via the boards by fitting a pull-up resistor to the servo outputs and this is catered for on the latest MERG boards. A choice of pull-up or down is selected via a removable link on the board, depending which model servo is used. I have now standardised on TowerPro SG90s which require a pull up. Unfortunately at the moment I still have a mix of old and new MERG boards and some odd servos!

I would love to use GF controls boards as I have one, and have tested various signals with it and the action is superb but I couldn't afford to change them over now. Also I think I would have to re-wire every switch as the MERG boards are set up to clear the signals by closing a switch and and the GF ones by opening a switch.

Ha! When I was on shifts |(many years ago now!), every time I tried to do a bit of modelling, something usually 'happened', meaning that the modelling didn't get done!

0130-0300 seems to be the modelling slot at the moment.! All stops once the units start spilling out of the depot for the morning service.

Hmm, last night's post seems to have vanished. Very nice Jon and it fits the scene really nicely but I hope you had time to send 9 bells for that departing dmu ;)

It was already stopped as the guard realised it was still in his compartment where he'd taken it to re-light after it had gone out and he had pressed the buzzer once to stop the train (phew, got out of that one!)

Cheers all and many thanks for all the "likes" posted along the thread.

Anyway, in a week or so a certain chap called Colin may have a set of etches for a rather interesting LMS cantilever bracket for me so watch this space.... ;)

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

• RMweb Gold

0130-0300 seems to be the modelling slot at the moment.! All stops once the units start spilling out of the depot for the morning service.

Is that when you get time to sit on your A IRSE ?

• Like 2

It used to be a matter of carefully timing one's 'Out-Of -Hours' 'box visits - definitely a bit on the rude side to call round when the railway had, hmm, 'gone to sleep' with no trains about.

Back in my manual box days anybody creeping round my box at that time of the morning trying to catch me out had to dodge the teapot being emptied out the window..... :nono:

JF

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back in my manual box days anybody creeping round my box at that time of the morning trying to catch me out had to dodge the teapot being emptied out the window..... :nono:

JF

Always paid to cough loudly when approaching some 'boxes in dead of night ;) And emptyinga teapot is nothing - the best story I have ever heard was of a former boss of mine who decided to personally intervene at one 'box where there were suspicions about 'irregular night time activity' so he duly sat in a car just up the road where he had the 'box in reasonable view and settled down to wait. About an hour or so later a police car drew up and he was instructed to get out of the car and explain his presence etc as 'someone on the railway' had reported a suspicious vehicle with someone watching the line. Others of us were, I hope, more careful when trying to catch red-handed those involved in 'goings on' but success was usually more down to luck than anything else.

Sorry to go OT so you'd best get back to your signals Jon

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Always paid to cough loudly when approaching some 'boxes in dead of night

And during the day, a driver mate of mine went to Canning Street in Birkenhead docks and caught the signalman (on his own), well you can guess, so he went back down the (few) stairs, wandered down the line a bit, and gave the point rodding a hefty kick and then went back in the box to find the signalman sitting comfortably reading a paper - as you do ...

• Like 5

And during the day, a driver mate of mine went to Canning Street in Birkenhead docks and caught the signalman (on his own), well you can guess, so he went back down the (few) stairs, wandered down the line a bit, and gave the point rodding a hefty kick and then went back in the box to find the signalman sitting comfortably reading a paper - as you do ...

......so much comic potential; but I daren`t! :mosking:

• Like 3

I've toned it down to keep it half decent, the reality was much worse !

Sorry for wandering Jon

I've been on the railway 35 years, been there, seen that, got the t-shirt. Night shift at Wellington, bottle of JD during a bad patch...better stop now...

JF

• Like 4

Uploaded a quick test of the bracket signal to Flickr now it's up and running on the layout. The problem with the signals has now been partly resolved by splitting the areas and installing yet another transformer. The servo twitching caused by the relay activating seems a common and probably unfixable problem if I want to use a relay so only the main arms are working at the moment. A possible solution has been posted on the MERG website that involves 4 4X2 NAND gate packages wired thus

post-7179-0-49610700-1347197865.png

which looks a little complicated but with a little help from the MERG chaps I should be able to sort it.

The clip is here.

Off for my IOW fix tomorrow and when I get back I have a large parcel of "things to build" to collect from Colin at Alan Gibson Workshop...coaches and signal gantries I hope.

Cheers

JF

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. after an enforced break to move my step-daughter back in (with her 3 cats), the workbench has finallly been fired up again.

Many years ago Alan Gibson provided the etches required for a 4mm scale model of Bath Green Park station. This included a few ex LMS signal types that I've been lusting after including 12 inch and 14 inch wide parallell lattice posts, lattice cantilever bracket, pratt truss gantries and a rather nice bracket/gantry that was situated at a junction near the station.

These are still available in 4mm from Alan Gibson but I've managed to persuade Colin, who now owns the business, to start getting them etched in 7mm scale.

I now have the test etch for the Bath Junction bracket and I'll be building it simply as is , without dolls, for Colin to display on his stall at the Manchester Exhibition after which I'll have it back and put some signals on it!

This is what it's meant to look like. Hopefully I can do it justice..

post-7179-0-11193900-1348658697.jpg

post-7179-0-95664900-1348658692_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-95664900-1348658692_thumb.jpg

This is the etch sheet as collected. Some of the components are for a bridge and won't be used but they were left on the artwork once it became obvious that 2 gantries wouldn't fit! It saved the cost of the tool..

post-7179-0-79478000-1348657865_thumb.jpg

As when carving a chicken, I decided on legs first! There are 2 and are constructed in a box shape using channel for the edges. The 4mm scale ones used 3mm X 1mm channel and I upscaled that to 6X2 (5X2 didn't look right).

First job was to cut and tidy up the etched legs from the sheet and punch out the rivet detail as marked. This caused a little distortion but that was soon digitally rectified..

post-7179-0-13299500-1348657874_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-08879900-1348657883_thumb.jpg

2 lengths of channel were then cut and construction commenced.

post-7179-0-89678000-1348657894_thumb.jpg

[attachment=209313:P1030968 (1024x683).jpg]

post-7179-0-54111300-1348657915_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-59725900-1348657925_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-86649100-1348657931_thumb.jpg

Once soldered up, the assembly is very strong but I wasn't happy with using channel for the edges as the depth of the flanges made it a little awkward to solder from the inside and a litle of the flange is visible on the inside edge.

I decidied the other leg would have strip rather than channel as an edge and used a length of K&S brass strip (6.3mm X 0.4mm). This was a lot simpler to solder up as less heat was required and I could acces the joint from behind, leaving less cleaning up to do. In the end the assembly was just as strong and K&S strip is cheaper and easier to get than machined channel!

post-7179-0-30600300-1348657939_thumb.jpg

This is a comparison of the two assemblies...

post-7179-0-96089100-1348658614_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-39410700-1348658687_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-39410700-1348658687_thumb.jpg

More soon (sorry about the photos being all over the place. For some reason they just won't go where they're told today.. :jester: .)

Jon F.

post-7179-0-69844100-1348657903_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-72639300-1348657946_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Time to cut out the main bracket etches.

Edge flanges are included on the etch and the lower ones are "handed" with cutouts and half etched areas for the profile.

post-7179-0-49494700-1348672305_thumb.jpg

After some work with the rivet punch the brackets were ready for "edging". This was made easy with slot and tab construction although the "upsizing" from 4mm scale means these were a bit on the loose side. They also stuck out a bit too much but a few minutes with a file soon took care of those. The curved ends were nice and easy with the half etch are being just the right size. (please excuse my usual rubbish soldering).

post-7179-0-72907000-1348672323_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-03713600-1348672340_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-68804900-1348672358_thumb.jpg

The posts and the main brackets balanced precariously together (not soldered together yet.)

post-7179-0-05976400-1348672376_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-00959600-1348672393_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-26941200-1348672409_thumb.jpg

Research has shown me this style of structure, although fairly rare was certainly not unique on the LM with a notable one being at Winwick Jn on the WCML and larger more complicated ones at Blackpool North. (All long gone sadly)

More soon

JF

• Like 10

These gantries always seem huge in model form. It is kooking very impressive, What is it 200mm plus wide?

Aye its a big fella! 260mm wide by 150mm tall. TBH I'm struggling to find a suitable place on the layout for one but watch this space as they say.

JF

• Like 1