Oxford Diecast Fowler 16 n.h.p. Ploughing Engines.

phil gollin

Oxford Diecast have released their models of the Fowler 16 n.h.p. Ploughing Engines.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/fowler/products/fowler-bb1-16nhp-ploughing-engine-15145-rusty-dorset-76fbb001

-----

I know that these used to work in pairs, but does anyone know ;

1:  When they were last used commercially ?

2:  Did they travel from job to job with workmen caravans and water tenders, etc... ?

3:  As their winches and cables were useful, were they used for any other jobs, possibly logging ?

Thanks.

I read that the last commercial working pair were used on the building of the M1 motorway..... Not ploughing but pulling a scraper/grader  bucket back and forth and that was 1960. Many were cut up when the ploughing contractors moved over to diesel tractors for ploughing jobs and combine harvesters for hire, the lucky few languished in the scrap yards until the preservationists started to save them in the 1950/60s.

They would have a plough to haul and a living van if far from home, often the farmer would supply the water and fuel. On the road they were slow and lumbering, max 10mph so no use for heavy haulage not like a road locomotive or showman's engine which reputedly could hit 30, these also had a rope drum on the back axle for positioning heavy items or rides. We once had to extradite a heavy army vehicle from a boggy area at a Glasgow park open day with the rope drum on our Aveling roller, very useful piece of kit.

A ploughing engine would be too heavy for logging, a smaller type called a timber tractor was used for logging, they were quite nimble and had a big wire rope drum on the back axle with fairleads front and back. I used to crew one now and again but the guy was a 'loony' trying to keep up with traffic around Glasgow on the way to shows making steering a bit hairy.....

Dave Franks.

Edit: Pete beat me to it, the link says it all really.

• RMweb Premium

They were last used for their intended purpose during WW2 during the 'Dig for Victory' campaign for ploughing areas that had never been ploughed before. I have seen pictures of a ploughing engine used for moving power cables during the construction of power lines in the 1950's.

• 1 month later...

Allow me to introduce you to Fowler BB1 No 15145 "Rusty" the subject of the Oxford Model, she was restored more or less to the condition that she was in when she was pulled out of a hedge.  She has a new boiler and firebox, and bits and pieces to make her fit for purpose. Everything else was refurbished and used again but the owner Alan Sparkes, wanted her to look as she did when he bought her.  I am privilidged to be part of the gang that worked on her and now look after her.  post-9115-0-67412200-1480106121_thumb.jpg

In answer to the question did she pull anything, they travelled as a gang, two engines, a living van that slept six, plough, water cart, harrows or other implement.  I could not post the complete picture as it was too big but the second shot is of the Fowler Living van and 2 furrow small plough that is all part of the ensemble.  The sister engine is fully painted and lined and needs a tin of brasso as well, something that "Rusty" will never need.

post-9115-0-98409000-1480106513_thumb.jpg

Archived