Bachmann Europe acquire EFE vehicle range

Andy Y

I'd envisage a few models with fairly generic liveries and destinations such as Schools or Works that could be produced ad finitum for the scene craft range.

Frank if you are reading this - enjoy your retirement.

• RMweb Gold

If Bachmann could motorise and make new bogies for the EFE 1938/59/ 62 Tube stock,

and turn them into runnable, reliable condition, that would be marvellous !.

For the price, when initially released, they should have been runners in the first place.

I didn't know so many people had layouts running under floor boards or behind the skirting!

I didn't know so many people had layouts running under floor boards or behind the skirting!

Not many, I’m certain. Somebody did have an Underground model under his floorboards many years ago. It was reported in Railway Modeller, complete with picture. How he coped with rail cleaning and derailments wasn’t mentioned. I read years later that the poor chap’s floor collapsed.

I doubt if there will be anything new for quite some time, including new liveries, if any at all. No doubt Bachmann will want to get rid of acquired stock before taking on anything new, if that ever happens. Why did EFE have a 'factory open day' recently? To try and sell unsold stock.

Whenever I saw Frank at bus events (and they hadn't attended any for the last few years as far as I can remember) he always dismissed making older-type vehicles as he reckoned there was no market for them, which is probably why EFE of late just did re-liveries of existing models (and some just had cheap sticky advert labels added over the printed ones, to shift old stock). Funny how Oxford seem to be doing what EFE were reluctant to do, and they seem to be selling well. As for the Underground tube stock - Frank said there was no market for making them as motorised models!  

• RMweb Gold

Not many, I’m certain. Somebody did have an Underground model under his floorboards many years ago. It was reported in Railway Modeller, complete with picture. How he coped with rail cleaning and derailments wasn’t mentioned. I read years later that the poor chap’s floor collapsed.

I had a feeling that was an April edition of RM.

Whenever I saw Frank at bus events (and they hadn't attended any for the last few years as far as I can remember) he always dismissed making older-type vehicles as he reckoned there was no market for them, which is probably why EFE of late just did re-liveries of existing models (and some just had cheap sticky advert labels added over the printed ones, to shift old stock).

Just for the record EFE had continued to attend selected shows - the last I saw them at was at Detling for the South East Bus Festival on 2 April 2016.

Just for the record EFE had continued to attend selected shows - the last I saw them at was at Detling for the South East Bus Festival on 2 April 2016.

OK, they must have cut back somewhat then. Among others, London Bus Museum events were regulars for them for many years. Not in recent years though.

Judging from the quantity of EFE buses/coaches/trucks that have appeared on the New Arrivals section of Hatton's website this morning, they seem to have acquired a substantial amount of the company's inventory. 

John

They were always a popular outlet for remaindered stock for Corgi, they'd be a natural for disposing of EFE stock quickly by the administrator.

I hope that Bachmann now re-release some of the more popular liveries.

Perhaps you could be more specific and say what liveries on what vehicles you had in mind? If you just want 'popular' think 'London Transport' as they always sell out quickly. But then it'd be daft to put that on say, a provincial Bristol VR, wouldn't it?

I feel they need to produce something completely new which will have the possibilities of many liveries (which admittedly most models already have), and not keep churning out the same old castings in obscure liveries that not many seem interested in. I think EFE peaked with the tube stock (even then I feel they dropped off by not thinking about the railway modellers who would ultimately buy them), then didn't listen to what customers wanted hence sales dropping off. Maybe it was all planned, what with Frank's health issues and him wanting to retire.

Not many, I’m certain. Somebody did have an Underground model under his floorboards many years ago. It was reported in Railway Modeller, complete with picture. How he coped with rail cleaning and derailments wasn’t mentioned. I read years later that the poor chap’s floor collapsed.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was in 1983.......

The APRIL issue :D

Edit: note to self, read to end before posting. :)

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was in 1983.......

The APRIL issue :D

Yes, I remember one sometime about then. They used photos looking down on real District/Met/Circle trains in the open sections and made them appear as if they were running under the floor. The giveaway for me was the fact that they were quite clearly real trains, not models!

Yes, I remember one sometime about then. They used photos looking down on real District/Met/Circle trains in the open sections and made them appear as if they were running under the floor. The giveaway for me was the fact that they were quite clearly real trains, not models!

The back story was quite convincingly written though.

• RMweb Premium

In my book, NBC red & White and NBC Green & White would be good. They sell out quickly, and hold their value on the second hand market.

Perhaps you could be more specific and say what liveries on what vehicles you had in mind? If you just want 'popular' think 'London Transport' as they always sell out quickly. But then it'd be daft to put that on say, a provincial Bristol VR, wouldn't it?
I feel they need to produce something completely new which will have the possibilities of many liveries (which admittedly most models already have), and not keep churning out the same old castings in obscure liveries that not many seem interested in. I think EFE peaked with the tube stock (even then I feel they dropped off by not thinking about the railway modellers who would ultimately buy them), then didn't listen to what customers wanted hence sales dropping off. Maybe it was all planned, what with Frank's health issues and him wanting to retire.

Archived