nor here

Guest stuartp

• RMweb Gold

hi i have been keeping a close eye on your work and have to say you have made me go out and have a go at building some rolling stock. i thought i would have a go the way you have done yours but i may have bought the wrong thickness in plastic what thickness do you use for your bogies? i have started on a 54'11.5 southern BLV as the old mag was only 20p and i was trying to keep the cost down.

keep up the great work and i look forward to you next post

Stuart, I do like your stock! Many would not have seen the potential that you did to transform that Tri-ang Caley coach into a model and the faded lettering on your GW open is a far better idea than the one I tried, which I will describe one day when someone has poured enough beer down me.

That Trout looks good in its new guise too. I have one in bits awaiting treatment. Are you sure those decals are by Modelmaster? I just looked on their website and could not find them. I know that CCTrans make transfers for this wagon but a sheet of 31 is 30 more than I need!

Chris

Guest stuartp

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, much appreciated. I must credit Pennine MC, Craig Welsh and others on here for the painting methods - thank you.

i may have bought the wrong thickness in plastic what thickness do you use for your bogies?

I think those are 40 thou (1mm), the butt joints are reinforced wherever possible with 1.5mm or 2mm square strip (Evergreen, Plastruct). Normally I wouldn't advocate building a whole bogie out of sheet styrene, I'd much rather use an etched subframe (Comet, Bill Bedford, MJT, there are others) and just glue cosmetic side frames on but I didn't have any 6-wheeled ones and I'm still not sure if anyone does 6'0"+6'0". They're a bit flimsy, next time I will definately be using lost wax brass or whitemetal spring hangers instead of making them up from wire and styrene, even at the expense of settling for something which looks 'near enough'.

Mostly I use 30 thou or 40 though for bodies, used double thickness and/or well braced wherever it doesn't show. 10 thou and 20 thou are used for overlays. There are some sheets of 60 and 80 thou in the workbench but I rarely need those. Opens are always a problem as 40 thou is really too thick and anything thinner tends to bow inwards, often months later. I've got a half built single plank wagon in the cupboard, I put the sides on last year sometime using a strip of 20 thou about 3mm wide, used as little cement as possible, braced it carefully while it set against a bit of square brass bar etc. When I came back to it a few months later it was bowed all over the place. I've replaced the sides with (I think) 20 thou x 120 thou Evergreen strip which appears to be a bit more rigid than the fairly soft stuff used for sheets, and it's held so far. I also used superglue this time rather than polystyrene cement to avoid the solvent distorting things.

Are you sure those decals are by Modelmaster? I just looked on their website and could not find them.

Er .. no, sorry, my mistake. The numbers are Modelmaster, but chopped up from the Dogfish/Catfish sheet which I didn't make clear. Having checked, the 'Trout' names are actually off a Fox sheet - FRH 4880/001 which is a sheet of various Fishkind names and generic data panels, tare weights, tonnages and S/B/M/E/W etc prefixes. There are plenty of wagon names on there but only one pair of each (except, bizarrely, Tunneys for which you get two pairs) so if I do another I'll have to chop up a Turbot for the lettering.

Another vote for CCT here, but as you say they tend to be more use if you've got multiples of the same or similar. Their advantage is that you get a list of diagram and lot numbers to pin down what goes on what, whereas the Modelmaster sheets just give you a sheet of numbers and no clue as to which particular wagon they go on.

The following item ended earlier today on ebay. I knew Roxey did mouldings for LNWR (my dad has a large batch) and LMS sides in the dim and distant past but to find one for a 48' GSWR Third was a surprise. Does anyone know if they did anymore as my GSWT Association 6w full brake could use some company.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Hope the pictures in the above link may be of use.

Archived