does anyone model glasses on 4mm figures

• RMweb Premium

One of Bachmann's steam loco crew figures (Fireman IIRC) has spectacles represented by silver painted frames, but there is no attempt to represent lenses.

Once installed in a loco with a fairly enclosed cab this detail is just not noticeable.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

I have found a 3d scanner and got interested as i could scan myself, but i wear glasses. It got me thinking:

would it work?

What would it come out like?

How would it be painted up, because you can see through glasses?

Then i thought bigger:

Are any figures offered in 4mm scale with glasses?

How do they model it?

How well do the results turn out?

If not are our model worlds only populated by people with perfect sight. Which would mean on the scan i will be doing a better self of me. Which is how we model everything else to some degree.

Any answers to the questions?

Richard

Hi Richard

I have done the same as Worsdell Forever, just some very thin wire, the stuff out of multi-core telephone cables.

Spectacles were definitely out in steam days*, but I believe today's cleaner working environment has allowed some relaxation of the rule.

*It let me out - I've needed them since I was 17 (I first noticed watching some forgettable SF TV drama that followed 'A for Andromeda' (best part - Julie Christie as Andromeda....   :) )

(Sorry   :offtopic: )

Back on topic, I wouldn't bother. My policy on detail is  Can I see it? 

In this case the answer is  No.

So glasses off for the scan then

• RMweb Gold

I am waiting to see how far off piste this topic goes or alternatively how detailed the discussion becomes. What about what frames were available when? Were loco crews or guards allowed to wear specs? Will Metcalfe's introduce an opticians shop to their range - or have they already got one?

In the 70s, traincrew grades were not started in employment if they wore glasses, but were allowed to wear prescription glasses if needed once in employment.  Sunglasses, reactolite, bifocal, or anything other than plain clear glasses were not allowed.  Have to say I think this modelling glasses thread is a bit pointless; I want to know peoples' experiences of modelling contact lenses and if anyone models daily replaceables...

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, no modelmaking is ever pointless. If the person making the model has enjoyed themselves then that is sufficient to make it a valid exercise. 

If a thread like this makes modelmakers have a go at something then its a useful thread . Anyway, who said anything about traincrew, I have never seen a regulation about passengers wearing glasses. 

In 4mm, you a flogging a dead horse! ... On 0 scale, all different... Although twice the scale it is 4x the volume

Ahem: 8x the volume.  That's if it were really twice the scale.  Since it's actually only 1.75 times the scale, it's only 5.359375 times the volume.

Archived