If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Bachmann Brassworks O Gauge J94

south_tyne

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

David,

I'm going to make the suggestions that, if you haven't found one to buy yet, you could, apart from stalking eBay:

- advertise for one - they do turn up for $400+ [$ = GBP on my ipad]

- build a kit  - they vary in quality

- build your own - not so hard as it sounds. Premier do a frame set & coupling rods for $37, add Slaters wheels, bearings, motor, gearbox, buffers & boiler fittings, all done for about $150. http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/Index.html

Once you've made the chassis, you have a choice for the superstructure of card, plasticard ar various kinds of metal from coke can [seriously, it has it's uses] to n/silver or brass.  John Foynes has done a card one. With a drawing the basic J94 shape is not hard apart from the subtle curves of the smokebox wrapper and saddle tank. I'd do a mockup in card anyway to get the proportions, curves and clearances right.

Just a thought. It's a bit big for me. DJM has a lot to answer for by staking a claim on this one years ago.   Or go for a 15A plastic 15" saddle tank for $150 or so, smaller & neater.

Dava

Edited by Dava
Corrected
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your helpful responses! :good_mini: I do understand this search is something of a long-shot and, in all likelihood, will be unlikely to bear fruit.

9 hours ago, RBAGE said:

How about a black 08 or a blue 03?

Cheers, but it really is an austerity tank I am after. I am tempted by an 03 but will probably hold out for the forthcoming Heljan version if I do end up giving in and getting one. 

7 hours ago, Mick Boyd said:

There's been one (Mercian) on the G-O-G sales and wants since February 28th.

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks Mick. I hadn't noticed that, so thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look at the GOG list. 

7 hours ago, Dava said:

David,

I'm going to make the suggestions that, if you haven't found one to buy yet, you could, apart from stalking eBay:

- advertise for one - they do turn up for $400+ [$ = GBP on my ipad]

- build a kit  - they vary in quality

- build your own - not so hard as it sounds. Premier do a frame set & coupling rods for $37, add Slaters wheels, bearings, motor, gearbox, buffers & boiler fittings, all done for about $150. http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/Index.html

Once you've made the chassis, you have a choice for the superstructure of card, plasticard ar various kinds of metal from coke can [seriously, it has it's uses] to n/silver or brass.  John Foynes has done a card one. With a drawing the basic J94 shape is not hard apart from the subtle curves of the smokebox wrapper and saddle tank. I'd do a mockup in card anyway to get the proportions, curves and clearances right.

Just a thought. It's a bit big for me. DJM has a lot to answer for by staking a claim on this one years ago.   Or go for a 15A plastic 15" saddle tank for $150 or so, smaller & neater.

Dava

Hi Dave - thanks as ever for those useful suggestions, as always the help of such an experienced modeller as yourself, and someone who's work I really admire, is much appreciated. Food for thought there and some interesting options; I will have a further think about. 

I agree about DJM; it is a real shame that they announced their model, and then 6/7 years down the line have made no progress, as I am sure that someone else would have run with it if not. It would make a perfect option for Dapol in my humble opinion, admittedly based on no knowledge apart from a hunch and gut feeling. I am sure it would be a massive seller!

Ah yes, the 15a Hunslet..... somewhat of a holy grail of a model! Such a shame that it has been out of production for so long. I've never actually seen one come up for sale in a few years of casual searching. 

Thanks again to each of you for your input. Plenty of options and lots to consider :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

David,

Judith Edge Kits have the 7mm Hunslet 15" kit available on their list @ £95 currently, if you wish to go in that direction.

Sorry that I can't be of more help (I could ....but then I wouldn't have one.)

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

David,

Judith Edge Kits have the 7mm Hunslet 15" kit available on their list @ £95 currently, if you wish to go in that direction.

Sorry that I can't be of more help (I could ....but then I wouldn't have one.)

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian, that's very useful, I'll have a look. Don't worry, you've been very helpful! 

Cheers,

David

Would have thought someone would have a fully RTR 'O' gauge model produced and out by now, i'd have a dozen at least,  these would be a big seller imo. A big gap badly needs filling here ....C'mon Mr. Hornby here's a good chance to move up in scale;):crazy:

• Agree 1

On 29/03/2019 at 12:21, Owd Bob said:

Would have thought someone would have a fully RTR 'O' gauge model produced and out by now, i'd have a dozen at least,  these would be a big seller imo. A big gap badly needs filling here ....C'mon Mr. Hornby here's a good chance to move up in scale;):crazy:

Agreed - ripe for Mr Dapol though I would say!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

THE Bachmann Brassmasters one is not a good likeness - around the smokebox, under the boiler, the wheels and injectors etc. The prototype looks better. I'd avoid it personally.

Dava

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Dava said:

THE Bachmann Brassmasters one is not a good likeness - around the smokebox, under the boiler, the wheels and injectors etc. The prototype looks better. I'd avoid it personally.

Dava

Thanks Dava - that's really useful advice. Food for thought...

• Like 1

On 01/04/2019 at 20:17, boeing7572t6 said:

You probably don’t want one now but there is one for sale on Ellis Clark’s site, no commission anticipated.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll certainly have a look, although Dava's comments have made me think twice about keeping my hand in my pocket! 

• 3 years later...