Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Nice sunny , but fresh, start to the day.

I feel I have to now check every picture to ensure it's not photo bomb by the scarecrow.

This one seems fine, hope he's back in the potato field now...

Could be worse...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106646-the-depots-rosedale-east/&do=findComment&comment=3431990

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Cathcott's Field progresses.

General view to see how the skyline pans out.

Still loads to do on the terraced houses but the basics are done.

1857.jpg.e70b419d840a65adb5ebc8250df33f4c.jpg

I see that lot are still hiding behind the Engine Shed hoping they wont be seen. They are as bad as the blokes at the Dairy! :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Kevin, I like the brick chimney arrangement tucked into the corner of the L shape. Is that taken from an actual building or just your clever imagination? I am trying to work out what that chimney would be for (other than to take smoke away from a fire, obviously!). It makes me think that's a wash house or maybe a bakery or something akin to that.

58 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Kevin, I like the brick chimney arrangement tucked into the corner of the L shape. Is that taken from an actual building or just your clever imagination? I am trying to work out what that chimney would be for (other than to take smoke away from a fire, obviously!). It makes me think that's a wash house or maybe a bakery or something akin to that.

Well, yes, hmm, good question, answer is quite simple really, it's one of those design moments where the aesthetic appearance far outweighed the practical application of the said chimney.

Putting into context so that it answers the question asked......

I saw a similar layout on some old pictures from the Francis Frith website so I took the concept, turned it into brick so it looked like it was a later addition to the building and plonked it in the corner.

What does it serve, well the idea was indeed a large fire range serving a bakery (or similar) so you are spot on there...

The building with the first floor window in the gable end will be a newsagent/tobacconist.

I decided to turn the buildings completely around so the back was seen as I wanted to model some 30's back gardens.

That brings me nicely onto a question I was going ask everyone.

Does anybody have any pictures of back gardens in this era?

I have loads of front's, numerous aerial views of rear gardens but these are not to clear when enlarged to see details

Thanks

• Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, KNP said:

Does anybody have any pictures of back gardens in this era?

you could try BFI archive and filter 1930's "Rural Life"

https://player.bfi.org.uk/britain-on-film/map#/51.15163700/0.5881986854/11//1930/Rural life

for example 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-our-village-1935-online about half way through is a woman hanging landry..

but i bet small hard standing and one path small patch of grass and a vegatable plot. :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply.

As to back gardens, try googling images of Pendon's village. Every back garden is an allotment there; pigstys, chickens, etc, etc. It would seem few peeople pre-war had lawns and flower beds except the very well-to-do.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

As to back gardens, try googling images of Pendon's village. Every back garden is an allotment there; pigstys, chickens, etc, etc. It would seem few peeople pre-war had lawns and flower beds except the very well-to-do.

Better still, get your body over there and see first hand! :)

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

you could try BFI archive and filter 1930's "Rural Life"

https://player.bfi.org.uk/britain-on-film/map#/51.15163700/0.5881986854/11//1930/Rural life

for example 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-our-village-1935-online about half way through is a woman hanging landry..

but i bet small hard standing and one path small patch of grass and a vegatable plot. :)

Thanks for that.

I have a good idea what will be needed and that includes things like:

Coal bin/s

Dustbin/s

Ash or gravel path/s

Washing line

Outside toilet

Shed/s (made out of anything to hand)

Chickens

Pigeons

Veg patch

Grassed areas.

Seat

Bonfire area

That sort of thing

All I need to do is plan it to look not planned!

Meant to post this one as well!

1858.jpg.3fad4b4ae53222bbac5f839dc7f28ec4.jpg

Now before anyone jumps up and down...

I know there is a fire wall between the pairs of cottages which would be unusual 'out in the sticks' but have you tried to butt join Wills plain tiles without a noticeable joint....

This was the easy option!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks for that.

Coal bin/s

Dustbin/s

Ash or gravel path/s

Washing line

Outside toilet

Chickens

Pigeons

Veg patch

Grassed areas.

Seat

Bonfire area

That sort of thing

Compost heap

Greenhouse (if room) or cold frame (if not)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks for that.

Coal bin/s

Dustbin/s

Ash or gravel path/s

Washing line

Outside toilet

Chickens

Pigeons

Veg patch

Grassed areas.

Seat

Bonfire area

That sort of thing

My Gran’s old council house in the New Forest c1960 had a kind of brick built lean to she called ‘the scullery’ where there was a coal fired hot water heater known as the ‘copper’. This was the only hot water in the house. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Pigsty.

Garden dump of broken up old anything-at-all-you-can-imagine.

Stashes of things that might be useful one day such as lengths of timber, bricks, roof tiles, tin buckets without handles.

Rabbit hutch maybe? Bit exotic for the 30s but you never know.

Old tree stump for garden seat.

Tree with suitable branch and wooden plank and 2 bits of rope as kid's swing.

Pram with babby in getting some fresh air.
Sundial.

Pile of firewood.

Washing tub.

Half a barrel with flowers in - or other container.

I hope this isn't being too in your face - too helpful - but I have some photos of Pendon I took last year. I've put the garden-relevant ones in my Dropbox. Here's the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1owntdwa541p1j7/Dsc00413.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The new terraced cottages really do look "new" to me - the sort of "Arts and Crafts" derivatives that local councils were constructing between the wars (long after the true heyday of the movement).

If that were the case then the tenants would be very proud of their smart new homes, which would be lightly weathered but well-maintained. The gardens might be well kept with only young trees in them and the garden layouts would be quite regimented. Some would be planted with things like roses, sweet peas and dahlias.

Any male householders seen out in their gardens would of course be wearing a collarless shirt with the top button undone and the sleeves rolled up, a waistcoat and a flat cap.

Those were the days! :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Any male householders seen out in their gardens would of course be wearing a collarless shirt with the top button undone studs removed and the sleeves rolled up, a waistcoat and a flat cap.

Edited.

Until well into the 1960s my Dad wore shirts with separate collars to work. He sent the collars away for cleaning and starching every week. He also wore a bowler and carried a rolled umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2