Little Muddle

KNP

38 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

As always Kevin, some stunning and inspirational pics for us mere mortals to drool over whilst having my Cereals and Mug a Tea.:good:

I am glad you liked them and apologies for causing you to drool.

In my folder I still have 10 more pictures that I haven't done anything with so I will wait awhile before posting anymore to give you a chance to finish your breakfast!!!

Many thanks

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KNP said:

Like all good game shows, these pictures will be arriving in no particular order

I trust no cuddly toys were hurt in the process ! 

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

It's a Bu66er trying to stop them gently and Video at the same time isn't it Kevin.

Excellent running and footage though, makes the Layout seem much bigger with that nice run.

It is indeed.

Not as funny as the other video I have where I was so busy filming that I forgot I was controlling the train and it hit the buffers at Encombe Town.

Will post that if I can remember what my son-in-law taught me to do...…!

The other thing I can't explain is why did I couple the loco that way round?

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, KNP said:

It is indeed.

Not as funny as the other video I have where I was so busy filming that I forgot I was controlling the train and it hit the buffers at Encombe Town.

Will post that if I can remember what my son-in-law taught me to do...…!

The other thing I can't explain is why did I couple the loco that way round?

Thanks

And I didn't even notice that, shows what I know about Kettles and Coaches, haha.

• Informative/Useful 1

This was the first take where I got to close and the camera focussed on the foreground rather than the train....

Then I forgot I was in charge of the train and in ran straight into the buffers at the station...!!!

Least it stopped and the buffers did their job?

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, westerner said:

Great video, but do not auto trains normally have the loco facing away from the carriage, Kevin?

Auto coaches can be coupled to either end of an auto fitted loco, as long as the driving end of the auto coach is  at the opposite end to the loco.

• Agree 3

The coaches and locos have auto gear at both ends.

So, pedantically, you could couple the driving end of the coach to the loco, and still drive from the loco.   Practically, you could also drive from the coach, but it would be pointless (and probably prohibited by rules too). 

You could also couple two coaches together either way round, and as long as there was a cab at the far end from the loco, you can drive from there. 

And, in principle, you could do that at both ends of the loco, although I suspect it might be hard physical labour to drive at either end by then.  I'm sure I have a photo of a 4-coach train with the loco in the middle somewhere.

best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Simond said:

The coaches and locos have auto gear at both ends.

So, pedantically, you could couple the driving end of the coach to the loco, and still drive from the loco.   Practically, you could also drive from the coach, but it would be pointless (and probably prohibited by rules too). 

You could also couple two coaches together either way round, and as long as there was a cab at the far end from the loco, you can drive from there. 

And, in principle, you could do that at both ends of the loco, although I suspect it might be hard physical labour to drive at either end by then.  I'm sure I have a photo of a 4-coach train with the loco in the middle somewhere.

best

Simon

In and around Plymouth the "Saltash Motor " as a gangwayed pair until the mid 50's and the sidings at Laira were laid out to enable the  loco to attach trailers at either end or both.  Peak period trains were 4 auto trailers, a pair either end.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
predictive text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fabulous video overflying Little Muddle to Encombe. All that was missing was the sound of the squadron leader’s Sopwith Pup engine and the sound of the wind in his scarf!

• RMweb Gold

The auto gear, manually operated rod and bar linkage, was handed, so you couldn’t couple it between the loco and the trailer from driving cab end of the trailer or between trailers that were not both facing the same way.   Kevin’s photo shows a trailer being hauled as a normal coach, and the loco will have to run around before the return journey. 

Up up to two trailers could be coupled with the gear connected at each end of the loco; Siberian’s Plymouth Area trains were an example, with 70’ trailers gangwayed within the sets; the ‘inner’ coaches had regulator and brake gear in the cabs, and a bell, but I doubt they were used much!  Locos were usually 54xx or 64xx. 

Cardiff Area featured 3 coach sandwiches on the Coryton Branch. Passed firemen with some experience were rostered to such jobs where possible, as they were alone on the loco for the whole duty and, as well as their own work, had to look after the reverser and cutoff settings.  Auto fitted 4575s were used, but this did not begin until the locos were provided with auto gear by BR, in 1953 I think. 

The ‘2 trailer at each end of the loco’ limit was a result of the physical stiffness of the system and the play required in the coupling of it; it was unworkable with more than 2 trailers.

Other railways’ systems relied on vacuum or steam operation, and were in theory capable of being coupled in different ways with more than 2 trailers at each end of the loco, but in practice 2 seems to have been usual limit.  I am less familiar with such systems and unable to say why this should be. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for that Johnster, I felt sure the cab end of the loco needed to be coupled to the coach for the auto gear to be functional. I must confess I have never seen a photo of an auto-train running bunker first.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Thanks for that Johnster, I felt sure the cab end of the loco needed to be coupled to the coach for the auto gear to be functional. I must confess I have never seen a photo of an auto-train running bunker first.

I have......on Little Muddle!!

Martin,

despite the error in my post (the coaches must be cab-facing-away from the loco as the auto gear is handed) you can couple the coach at either end of the loco and the auto gear will function.

best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1