One and a half (sort of) YEC Janus locos

Hi all, 

A two-part post. Two loco builds, with a theme. A YEC Janus and a "rebuild" of sorts, a 0-6-0 YEC Half Janus loco.

Apologies for the poor camera phone photos...

Janus USC1395

Chosen prototype is YEC2791, a 400hp "Janus" class loco delivered new to United Steel Companies Exton Park quarries, Rutland. Numbered 1395 in the Ore Mining Branch fleet, with an internal running number of "DE5". Exton Park quarries are also of interest as the former site of W1400 walking drag line excavator "Sundew", at one time the largest excavator in the world. She quite literally walked 13 miles to Corby quarries in 1974, an event reported in the National news and on Blue Peter.

After the closure of Exton Park quarries, she was transferred to Normanby Park steel works, until preservation in 1982. She resides at Rocks by Rail museum at Cottesmore, Rutland. Particularly poignant, as the museum occupies the old site of the Exton Park mines-BR exchange sidings.

post-5089-0-97659200-1492428447_thumb.jpg

Just before the new Oxford Rail/Golden Valley Janus rtr model breaks cover, this Janus is built from a Judith Edge kit. Fitted with a 104:1 High Level gearbox, brass flywheel and Scalelink wheels. The distinctive oval United Steel Companies buffers are RTmodels Peckett loco buffers substituted with oval heads. 

post-5089-0-66252600-1492428388_thumb.jpg

Half Janus (sort of..) USC1382

When RMweb user Ruston mentioned that he had a half-finished industrial loco project he was looking to move on, we exchanged PMs and a package winged its way to me...

Originally, this DJH 02 shunter kit had been built as an industrialized YEC. A nice job, I hope you'll agree. 

post-5089-0-80939200-1492428412.jpg

I obtained it in this format, after external fuel tanks had been added and a rebuild started. 

post-5089-0-69180000-1492428450.jpg

I'd been after a 220hp Half-Janus project to go with the Janus, as three of these had operated at United Steel Companies Colsterworth Quarries. YE2872 is also preserved. 

The model is a few mm too short of course, and the bonnet doors are a compromise, but it's as far as I was willing to go without much more comprehensive work.

post-5089-0-38188500-1492428410_thumb.jpg

post-5089-0-21219600-1492431542_thumb.jpg

There will be a small 0-6-0 mechanism with 3'3'' wheels fitted under it in due course. 

Paul A. 

• Like 15

Very nice, these two really do look the part. I'm looking forward to the Oxford one appearing and a United one would be high on my preferences. Any plans to complete the trilogy with the Indus that lived at Corby? That worked occasionally on the Wakerley line, where Sundew ended up, although the long wheelbase made it prone to derailments and it was more commonly restricted to the Oakley Quarry trip.

I'm not sure that Sundew was ever the biggest in the world, by the time she was completed at Exton, the first W1400 was in service at Priors Hall Quarry and both were soon to be eclipsed by the W1800s at Cowthick and Oakley.

I was walking the the dog round the remains of Wakerley quarry, yesterday. Although agriculture has returned to a large part of it and you'd never know what went on there in the 60s and 70s, much is still extant in a semi-restored state with a large area where the overburden was used as infill but no topsoil restored. Very little grows on this area, the odd thorn bush and some patches of rough grass are about the only things that distinguish it from a moonscape. The scale of the area is quite stunning considering it was only in serious volume production for 10 years and until Sundew went into service there in late 1974, production was only on a very limited scale.

Although limestone quarrying took place on a very limited scale after ironstone working ceased, the relative peace of the area is now once again to be disturbed as limestone quarrying on a much larger scale is underway for the area originally intended to be mined by S&L/ BSC. Inevitably all output will go by road, the rail access route can still be traced for most of its length but the topography has largely been restored to the original levels.

• Informative/Useful 1

Any plans to complete the trilogy with the Indus that lived at Corby? That worked occasionally on the Wakerley line, where Sundew ended up, although the long wheelbase made it prone to derailments and it was more commonly restricted to the Oakley Quarry trip.

Hi Rangers,

No plan to model 0-8-0 Indus YEC2894, as it was an S&L owned machine, separate from United Steel Companies.

However, 0-8-0 Taurus YEC2875 was trialed at Exton Park quarries, so is suitable for inclusion. 

post-5089-0-05635600-1492437906_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 7

Being the chairman of the ID&RPG And friends of the owner of 1382 and the custodians i will pass this on to them. as you can see our logo is based on 1382 as she is our main project, we are also due to do some work on DE5.

please see this thread for more info http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119540-idrpg-industrial-diesel-railway-preservation-group-website-launch/&do=findComment&comment=2601480

• Like 2

With the half Janus - is the 3'3" wheels as per prototype or a slight reduction to fit in with the shortened chassis? What is the wheel spacing? Both prototype and modified (?) for your model Paul? Seriously impressed!

J

The prototype has 3'3'' wheels. I will lay the new chassis out in paper before I make it, and see which "looks" better - I may choose to use 3' wheels.

I already know the prototype wheelbase won't fit in the profile of the valances, so it'll be reduced by a few mm.  A compromise, unlike the Janus. 

Paul A. 

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

After putting this one off for long enough now I've finally gotten around to building the chassis for the half janus today. Etches prepared from my own etch artwork by PPD. 

805078178_halfjanus.jpg.62a773eed7ab8d81f987b1e5f64964ab.jpg

Hopefully a coat of paint when the weather improves, hopefully in 2020...

Paul A. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...
On 17/11/2020 at 17:57, Quarry-Steam65 said:

Can I ask how the lettering has been applied on the Janus?,

As I have an idea to have a USC visitor on my layout, my plan consists of obtaining a Golden Valley Janus, doing a bit of cosmetic work and I'm just a wee bit stuck on the lettering...

Thank you

I will dig out the details for you. They're waterslide transfers.

Paul A.