S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Chris, one of the problems is that we are trying to find a house in an area that is very popular and is a smaller place than we live now. So there is limited stock on offer and trying to find one that meets our needs is difficult.  Plus we live on a estate that is very close to other regions like Didsbury which is highly desirable and the houses here sell very quickly. We don't want to sell ours and be forced into buying a house in desperation. I would never here the end of it because my wife likes our present house very much having been the only occupier since it was built. 

I have done a little work on these loco coal wagons painting most of the W-irons and brakegear.  I wouldn't batch build again because I find need to see the end of a build without getting bored.

There is still some way to go before they are finished.

20210330_122007.jpg

20210330_122019.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Because the weather is so fine and while I was painting I took the trouble to paint the axleboxes and springs on the NSR van. I think a few miles on the bike is called for now. 

20210330_135812.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Mike,

The van is looking great!

However, don't beat yourself up too much re the placement (or style) of the Staffordshire knot.  In George Dow's "North Staffordshire Album" on  page 96 there are photos of two three-plank opens and a 20 ton brake van and they each have different styles of  the knot.  On the previous page there is a builder's photo of  10 ton van No 5427 from a batch by Metropolitan C & W in 1912 that has  an 11 plank side and the knot is on the third plank from the bottom (!) although on the same side as yours.

I know you are producing wagons from an earlier period so my comment may be superfluous and you probably are working from a particular photo for your van, which may make it essential to get knots lettering etc in the correct place but I think different makers  often interpreted the railway companies' designs differently, as well as  the painters having their own particular affectations.  Hope this might be helpful?  We have enjoyed the lovely sunshine down here today  too - enough for me to cut the grass for the first time this year.

Best wishes

Rich 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried to hand letter but the results were dire. So I have found some GWR tranfers with the 8 tons on them. There are to small really but I think it is better to have them neat and a little undersize. I will put it down to a different signwriter at a different  period of the vans life. Rule 1 applies.

Just got to find some letters for the NSR now.

20210330_213517.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, airnimal said:

I will put it down to a different signwriter at a different  period of the vans life. Rule 1 applies.

Thank goodness for that, for one minute I thought you were going to scrap it and do another one ! :D

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I wish you'd stop it, Mike. I have to go into my workshop tomorrow and look at my own efforts with the images of yours in my mind's eye........

Dave (AKA Disgruntled of Shropshire)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think you might be at the top of a slippery slope! GWR horse power. Next there will be Dark Green locos and then.....  Stop now before its to late. Turn back from the dark side.

Marc

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I also find building horse drawn transport a nice relaxing change. So many variations existed that you can have fun altering any kit to make it that bit individual, or just scratchbuild in the style of the period. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The GWR met up with the knotty (Market Drayton) and the LNWR, and via running powers ran passenger services to Manchester (Exchange, I think): I have certainly seen photos of their locos being turned. Which begs the question, did they run goods services, too, and whilst they must had had a goods agent, at the very least, did they provide any delivery services in Manchester? 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The GWR met up with the knotty (Market Drayton) and the LNWR, and via running powers ran passenger services to Manchester (Exchange, I think): I have certainly seen photos of their locos being turned. Which begs the question, did they run goods services, too, and whilst they must had had a goods agent, at the very least, did they provide any delivery services in Manchester? 

The Great Western rented a portion of the LNWR Liverpool Road goods station (the original L&MR Manchester terminus), to which goods trains were worked by its own engines. So they must also have had delivery and collection services and receiving offices in the city. There was some discussion about this not so long ago, somewhere on here... 

• Like 3

I once attempted to build a cart in 00 as I was a little stunned by the price of a particular kit. Not a success - somehow I stuffed up the measurements and wound up with what could only be described as an inconveniently over size double wheel wheelbarrow. :huh:

Nice work so far as we have come to expect. 

• Friendly/supportive 2